help me convince the wifey...for a sportsbike!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Dunewar, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Dunewar

Dunewar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I know...lame title. I'm sure all the studs here in ADVrider have no concerned wife and if they did they would kick her to the curb in no time, red flags etc...

For those that are still reading : I'm selling my R1100GS and I want to go to a more sportier bike. My dream ride is a 929 fireblade (for no rational reasons) actually.

But my wife has put a firm rule : no sportsbikes. And she is strict on that. Since I started riding motorbikes after I met her, I kinda agreed to that rule. In fact, she bought me an introduction session to motorcycling as a birthday present with the words "but should you want to continue this, NO SPORTSBIKES".... So basically I got into motorcycling with this condition.

I know, half of the replies will be : "you are a doormat", and I don't care. Because I love my wife and I want to consider her opinion. She does a marvelous job caring for our daughter and me, and I don't want her mad/concerned every time I go out riding.

That in mind, I am a firm believer you can get into trouble with any motorcycle, not just sportsbikes. And the forward riding position somehow agrees with my back and makes me feel very comfortable. And I'm also convinced that the limit of motorcycling outside a racetrack is not decided by the bike, but by the biker and even more so by the circumstances. Forget apexes, racing lines, etc... but think clear lines of sight, road surface, traffic.

So I would not ride any differently on a fireblade than on my GS (or the kawa I had before). Last organised roadtrip I joined a pack consisting of a BMW S1000rr, a F800s, a kawa Z1000, and I decided to abandon them halfway because they were too slow for me. I ride my own tempo no matter what, no matter the bike or the pack.

But how do I make this clear to my wife? She is convinced that a sportsbike makes you go 10 times as fast as you should, and that buying one is planning for suicide. Any arguments I can use? Any experiences? Something? Her comeback is : "but you have a young child, you shouldn't put yourself in danger like that!". Hard to argue with an emotional statement like that, but any input?

Oh and no, I'm not quitting bikes because of my children. They need a sane dad, and motorcycles help keep me sane.
  2. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    Get a KTM 950 SM, a 990 Superduke or a Triumph Speed Triple. They don't exactly look like a sport bike, but they go like one. Maybe she won't notice?
  3. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    I have found that if I ask nicely and then do whatever I want anyway, my wife is usually only really pissed at me for a day or so, therefore it is definitely worth it!
  4. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    Bribery? :lol3

It sure helps if you are rich. Then she forgets the rules. Jewelery?
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I know exactly where you are coming from. I owned a Ninja 636 for a year, and my wife stood in the driveway and cried EVERY time I left on it. I'm not talking about complaining, I'm talking tears running down her face. She vowed she would go with me every ride to keep me sane, but her 5'11" height made the passenger seat so uncomfortable she gave that up quickly. I sold it a year later, and bought a dual sport. Now I have the 750 Aprilia, which doesn't have the top speed that my wife feared so much.

I think the Fireblade is going to be a hard sell, because it "looks like" a sport bike. I know, that's like banning a rifle because it "looks like" an assault weapon, but a wife's worry is fueled by emotion.

Can you live with a naked bike? The Honda 919 is very similar to the 929, I think, but doesn't have side fairings. That may be your best compromise. Other bikes to consider would be the Triumph Speed Triple, Triumph Street Triple, or Ducati Streetfighter. If those don't fly, I would urge you to ride a big supermoto from Aprilia, KTM, or Ducati. They are an absolute blast, without any trace of the sportbike stigma. Unfortunately, Honda has not yet entered that segmant.

Honda 919:
    [​IMG]
  6. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going with the wife here just because you believe this. You WILL ride faster on a sport bike! In my 10 years of ownership I went over 100 nearly every time I rode my zx9r! Seldom go that fast on on my other bikes. Sportbikes are made to go fast and they do it so well ya want to ride them fast, I don't care who ya are. Since ya started riding AFTER ya got married the wife does have a say in your riding life and decisions.
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I dont go any faster on my 1200 Sport/touring bike then I do on any other bike. Its really up to the rider as to the need for speed.

Guys fly off the road on 650 singles if they havent a clue as to what they're doing. Get the Sportbike,and make nice later,they get over it.
  8. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    You're a doormat...

But, you made a deal. You should stick to it...

She paid for your introductory class with the condition of no sportsbikes.

Why go back on your word?
  9. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Indeed. And at this point in time, there are so many sporty bikes that are disguised as sport tourers, nakeds, etc that you should be able to get your fix without her feeling you don't respect her.

Sprint ST / Ducati ST3 / 5th gen VFR / Aprilia Futura or Falco.

Hell, the new Ninja 1000R is a fantastic bike. Just peel the 'Ninja' stickers off and have the Givi cases mounted before you get home. Instant 'touring bike'. :D
  10. uraberg

uraberg whosaberg?

Oddometer:
    Look. Saying you're not going to ride faster on a sport bike is a crock of nonsense. And if this is what you're telling her, then you're lying to her. It will happen. (I'm not talking about carrying crazy top speeds. I'm talking about overall faster riding.)

Why do you want a sport bike? I can hardly believe you want one for added comfort?

You should stick to your word. If you want a new bike, find something that she can live with as well. Don't convince her you should get something that she's told you from the beginning she's dead set against.
  11. Edmundo Amado

Edmundo Amado Andale, andale!!

Oddometer:
    You have a deal, honor it, make her happy. You don't know how misserable life could be with an unhappy angry wife.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start racing MX and she'll be so sick of regular ER visits, casts, crutches and rehab therapy she'll buy you the damn sportbike herself.

And if not at least you might grow a pair and do what you want.
  13. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oddly, I've slowed down after getting a more dedicated sport bike. I rode a Connie for years & often glanced down at the speedo to find myself just into 3 digits without even realizing it. Big fairing, earplugs, shaft drive & OD 6th gear often lulled me into "velocity creep". My riding buddies often commented that I shouldn't lead on the highway, because I gradually picked up the pace to the "heavy fine" end of the spectrum. Sure enough, I got nailed about 18 months ago. I knew I was speeding, maybe 80? My local trooper was trying out both radar & laser & assured me it was 96 MPH on both! That meant I was probably indicating 105 -110. Felt perfectly solid & safe to me. Sold it 3 days later (after paying a serious fine). Bought a gsx 650 F. Just as comfy, very near to just as fast, handles & brakes better, & now I know when I'm in legal peril. The added wind blast & "feel" let me know when it's time to back off.
  14. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:
    can't.

especially since a 929 isn't so great that it's worth the headache. after you had it a while, you would be wanting something else anyway. that's what we do.

think about a quick standard, supermoto or adventure bike that moves well and be happy you have a motorcycle at all.

don't mean to be terse, but dude: happy wife, happy life.
  15. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Happy Wife = Happy Life

Always keep your word, especially with your wife. She will respect you for it, and be more open to purcheses of bikes, cars, trips, you name it. The reverse must be true as well.

"She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain." Proverbs 31:10-11
  16. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    IF you do get one I'd bet money against this:
    And being a multi bike owner for many years I'm in agreement with these guys:
    Wishing you the best. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  17. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say that because you agreed to that condition, you should keep it. That's not being a "doormat"; that's called personal integrity.

There are several sporting standards that might meet your riding desires, while not making your wife as nervous -- Triumph Speed Triple or Street Triple, Ducati Monster or StreetFighter, Kawasaki Z1000, Honda CB1000R, Yamaha FZ1/FZ8/FZ6, MV Agusta Brutale, Aprilia Tuono or Shiver, Suzuki SV650/SV1000, Buell CR1125, Moto Guzzi Griso, BMW K1200R or R1200R or F800R.

Personally, I think that if you ride like an adult, sportsbikes are the *safest* bikes out there to be on. No bike is good in an accident; your only defense is to avoid them. The superior acceleration, handling, and braking of sportbikes gives you the best tool for being able to do that, provided you use it properly and have developed the appropriate skills.

PhilB
  18. Woland

Woland Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sneak by her and get a sports-tourer :) Hayabusa, Blackbird or K1300S comes to mind. In almost every conceivable way also a much more practical choice for street-riding than a CBR, R1 or some such.
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can probably slip a flamed lime green ZX-14 thru the door. Pretty lame ass bike that will not make you ride faster at all. :norton
  20. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Does she have anything against you getting a sport bike for her?