Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the dirt bagz on my klr250. I went with the ranger model and made my own racks. They work just fine although I wish they where waterproof. They are fairly water resistant, but a good soaking from heavy rain and the inside will be wet.
  3. rube

rube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1994KLR250,

Do you have any photos posted of your side racks you could point me to?
    I've got a cycleracks rack on mine but would be interested to see what you made.

thanks,

rube

4. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    did you try tent seam sealer and any of the spray on stuff? In SE MI there are 2 or 3 REI's, cabelas, and Gander Mt that has such stuff. It was possible to get scotch guard in a waterproof spray that worked on the cordura pretty well...havent seen it in years though....maybe too many folks huffing it and it got pulled off the market!
  5. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got both sizes of Dirt Bagz bags. I use the smaller Scouts for day trips...especially in the U.P. where I may be 30 miles from anywhere and need tools and spares, and the larger Rangers for extended rides. They're 'fairly' water-resistant. The design of the fabric doesn't lend itself to waterproofing very well. It's a very coarse weave.

For anything that I need to keep dry I use either the Dirt Bagz liners, or other dry bags that I have. Anything more than say 10 minutes of any kind of rain and the interiors will get wet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the Dirt Bagz system for smaller bikes. I wish they made a true waterproof bag for their racks. I tried a set of Happy Trails racks on my KLX and grabbed the Wolfman Expeditions off my DR. I didn't like the size of the racks left on the bike when I rode without bags...too much iron in the way.
    Dirtleg likes this.
  6. Milar

Milar Life is an adventure.

Oddometer:
    It appears the Zongshen 250cc Adventure bike is coming to the USA. If the motor is as good as you believe, it might be interesting.

M

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/chinese-built-250cc-adventure-bike-coming-to-the-us/
  7. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] need to start adding camping gear to this minimalistic creature.
  8. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the side racks that I made without the dirt bagz on them. The dirt bagz use a rather simple rack, it basically looks like a big L with two bolts to attach the rack to the subframe. I don't normally ride the bike with the bags or racks attached, only for trips. A milk crate is my preferred choice of daily luggage. I put the milk crate on the rear top rack.
  9. vagabondmatt

vagabondmatt Keep on keep'n on.

Oddometer:
    Luckychucky - nice bike! is that an 83/84? It's a beauty.
  10. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boy did I ever want that XL200R as a teen. Never happened though. My friend had an XL185. After many bikes since - he still says that that's the one he misses the most.
  11. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Zongshen RX3 is definitely coming to the United States. It is being imported by CSC Motorcycles in Asuza, California. You can read threads concerning this Zongshen bike at the following links. :deal

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13440

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000180

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007879

The NC250 Zongshen engine for this bike has been in production for several years, and has previously been installed in several Chinese dirt bikes. This engine has been manufactured with both a 5-speed, and a 6-speed transmission. This engine originally employed a carburetor, but the latest version of this engine employs Delphi electronic fuel injection from the United States.

Spud :beer
  12. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just done 5000ks trip on my TTR 250,brilliant little tourer:deal

[​IMG]
  13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has been a couple of years but here is the best I have - unfortunately I sold the bike this summer - regret it already but I hope you get the idea.

There were a couple of loops on the rack which used the clips on the bag to hold them steady - tight to the rack and no sliding forward.

Thanks
    Roy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. motormike3

motormike3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> G'day all,
    recently i got back from a 16 day, 5800km adventure bike trip that i did on my DRZ 250. Went from Sydney out to the Fkinders ranges, on to the Oodnadatta track, a big loop around and then return to Sydney.
    Camped every night of the trip, had a fantastic time.:clap
    Thought i would share a 5 minute video of the trip.
    Hope you enjoy.
    Mike

https://vimeo.com/106168164
    <!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
  15. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap Looks like a great ride and time! Thanks for postingthe vid.

16. larry31

larry31 Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer:

Nice video!

Couple of questions...
    What camera were you using?
    How fast were those Emu's, and Wallaby's going?

17. motormike3

motormike3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    gopro 3 set to 1080/30fps (thats so it can take a high resolution photo every 10 seconds. I usually only shoot about 30 - 40 seconds of footage for each clip so that works well for me.

emus i think were going about 60 -70 kn/h, roo a little less (of memory)
  18. twigsnapper

twigsnapper How did I get here?

Oddometer:
    I did, thanks!
  19. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:

Awesome video Mike. Looks like it was great weather for you....
  20. larry31

larry31 Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer:

I noticed you mount the GoPro on the helmet. How do you adjust it so the horizon is level? I find I have a tendency to tilt my head. It takes a bit of adjustment to get it filming level, and getting the video centered vertically. Have to go back to computer to view, then make minor adjustment, and film some more.

My Hero 11 isn't as sharp as your videos.

Nice variety of country over there.