Tubeless for under $10.00

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by backdrifter, Jun 5, 2005.

1. backdrifter

backdrifter Wannabe rider

Oddometer:
    Bare with me if you surf other sites, I am posting this everywhere because I think it is very useful info. My bike is a supermoto, and I don't know what the drawbacks of going tubeless with an off-road bike are, but if you hate tubes, here's a real cheap way to go tubeless.

I finally got around to making my rear rim tubeless. I will do the front one next, but I am waiting until the next time I need to change the front tire.

Here's what you need: A tubeless type valve stem, a large cylinder of clear silicone (get at any hardware store), a calk gun to apply the silicone with, and duct tape. AND A RIM THAT IS DESINGED TO ACCEPT A TUBELESS TIRE BEAD!!!! PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE THREAD, THERE IS GREAT INFORMATION HERE, AND MANY DON'T BELIEVE THAT THIS IS SAFE. TAKE THIS INFORMATION AS AN FYI, I HAVE DONE IT, IT MIGHT NOT WORK AS WELL FOR OTHERS!

Clean the inside of the rim off very well, and let it dry. Then apply a big blob of the silicone over each spoke nipple. Let the silicone sit for a few minutes and form a "skin", but not totally dry. Then, take the duct tape (this part is much easier with two people - one to hold and secure the tape, the other to turn the rim) and tightly wrap it around the siliconed spokes. Do about 3 or 4 full wraps with the duct tape, and let it sit and cure overnight. Oh, you'll obviously have to cut a whole in the duct tape at the base of the new valve stem. Also, but some silicone around the base of the valve stem. I suggest filling the tire with air right after applying the duct tape, I think the extra pressure helps push the silicone into all the right places.

It sounds cheap and I was skeptical at first myself, but I figured what do you have to lose? My first test was filling the tire with 60 psi of pressure and letting it sit. No leaks. My next was a quick run around the neighborhood. No leaks. I've done 450 miles on the bike since Friday, and it hasn't lost a tenth of a PSI of pressure.

Good luck!
  2. Kingsqueak

Kingsqueak Wannabe

Oddometer:
    All I've got to say is that you have HUGE brass ones to have even tried this!

Once you take some hard knocks on those rims so the spokes have a chance to shift around... be careful.
  3. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    And you want to try this why? :eek1
  4. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    I think you should try it Chris, then report back after some high speed fire road testing...................or not.
    :evil
  5. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Where to begin?... Lets start with liability.

We'll need to save this, so that when a few more idiots try it, and get hurt or killed, they (or their families) will know who to sue.

You may want to go ATGATT2X from now on backdrifter... be prepared for the inevitable I always say.

You really think you're the first to try this? Who or what prompted you to do this?
    People have been trying this for years, and the only ones to work it out in production have been wheel companies like American Wire Wheel who run a thick wide bead of proprietary sealant around the entire inner channel of the rim, and... they do it on 16" and 18" wheels crusierbike wheels only.
  6. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    I also have traditional (non BMW) spoked wheels that use tubes, a friend that works at a chemical Co that makes sealants for everything, put a very high tech and expensive sealant in the rim and has worked fine to date, but when he told me that the thikness of the film was about 1-2 mm and that no one knows how long it can last. I have not used it in my wheels, I´m afraid of failure from the thin film.
    You have to ask if the rim bed is made for tubless tires.
  8. backdrifter

backdrifter Wannabe rider

Oddometer:
    OK, one at a time. I wanted to try this for a few reasons. Like I said, my bike is a supermoto, dealing with 5" wide rims with tubes sucks. Also, being a street moto, it's not often that it takes big abuse to the rims/tires. I have a buddy that used to race with spoked rims, so that's where I got the idea. It will work just as well as the $250 kit sold for the same purpose. As for sueing, like anything else, take it with a grain of salt. Try at your own risk. Personally, I say it is totally safe, now that I have done it and seen it first hand. Even if it does leak, it will be a slow manageable leak. Anyway, take it for what it's worth, I'll never go back to tubes for this bike.

9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its great stuff like this that keeps those of us in the medical business employed. I say go for it !
  10. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    If you're comfortable with it BD... that's great. I just don't want some n00b to read your post and think it's as easy as blobing on some silicone... especially some n00b with a 18/21 DS bike.

A whole bunch of people over the years have gotten hurt doing this... so be careful.

Creep
  11. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah silicon can really sting if you get it in your eyes.
  12. lvdukerider

lvdukerider Las Vegas Nevada

Oddometer:
    I dont mean to be a downer or anything but if that was safe why wouldent one or all of the manufacturers be doing it?
  13. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    be still my beating heart... logic shows his face.
  14. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    ummm...whats wrong with tubes? :wink:

hows this...just take your rim down to the local lineX dealer and have him spray all the OD of the rim and nipples with it. yea that'll work too :poser
    :hide
  15. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Don't laugh mate, there's a couple of companies out there that will seal spoked rims professionally, and bed liner is exactly what it looks like :evil
  16. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    :hide guess I spoke to soon. :lol3
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:

And another potential money maker slips thru Dag's fingers. :2cry
  18. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    :lip already sold the lineX unit :flip POS anyway... :lol3
    still whats so wrong wit tubes?
  19. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Yer askin' me? Ask the guy with the bigass tube of silicone.
  20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    An hour or two beside the trail w/ spoons as oposed to 10 minutes w/ a plug gun. That's whats the matter. :ear
    radmann10 likes this.