The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    It's a loaner; what the hell do I know?
    All the boys knows is that he shot a Draganov.
  2. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No....it is cool, and a VERY comon mistake as they look quite a bit alike....If I was not a "nut" I would not know the difference...but here is a quick pic to show you the differences. The PSL is really built around an AK action, the Draganov or SVD is a different beast all together. They all fire the 7.62x54R execpt for you Yugo and it fires 8MM...they had to be a little different. The Chinese is a real close copy of the Soviet rifle. There are also rifles out there that are called Tigers and they are basically a civilian version of the SVD.

All are getting pretty darn hard to find anymore...with the PSL being about the most easy to find. Around here before the world went nutz I saw PSL's going for $1800....or I guess I should say that is what the guy was asking. Real SVD will be somewhere in the $4k+ range.

[​IMG]
  3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    Mine was right at $500 OTD. Sales tax, credit card %, everything.

Then a few months later they went down $50-$70, but I wouldn't be surprised if the price has jumped considerably due to the current climate.

I'm super satisfied that it's been so reliable and hasn't shown anything, but wear and tear.
  4. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    As elsewhere, seems all the good guns are pretty scarce around here!
  5. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    I have purchased plenty of things from there, but never listed anything on it.
  6. B.Ross

B.Ross Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine on my SCAR 17. She hadn't shot since 93' (200yrd steel silhouette) VIDEO vvvvv
    [​IMG]
  7. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Maybe its the 5 points a gun adds, but Susan might need to make an appearance in the Toxic Over 40 thread. :clap
  8. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not checked in a while but they are/were still available at SOG....IIRC they are less than $2k.

Personally I own a PSL and like it quite a bit. At 200 yards (that is as far as our club range goes out) it will put 10 in the area the size of a football shooting pretty quick, not giving the barrel a chance to cool down....they all have pretty thin barrels and tend to string after they get hot.

Always wanted a real SVD or even a Tiger worked over to look like one, but that is out of sight now. I have never fired the Yugo, but those that have them seem to like them. It is/was such a strange country....only one I know that had two battle planes, one if attacked by NATO, the other if attacked by Warsaw Pact. Tito and Franco in spain seem to be cut from the same cloth in that aspect.....Guess that is why I always look at the CETME as well.

I like the 308 quite a bit, not as harsh, crisp...whatever as the 3006, but I already have two that fire the same basic thing in 7.5 french one in a bolt gun the other in an 49/56, they are so much nicer to shoot over a Garand/1903...not as hard on my old broken shoulder...even with recoil pads. 7.5 french is basically a 308.

9. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:

They are a brick, but the others work and do the job they are designed to do....engage man sized targets at ranges past the normal weapons carried by the troops.

I have fondled them before and found them to be a little less friendly feeling to the body....the psl and norinco (never even seen in the flesh a tiger or svd) felt like they are built to your body.

But I think after talking to the people that own all three they are all actually pretty darn close to eachother.
  10. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Not sure it applies, but when I was reading up on SKS's, Yugoslavia did not have access to Chromium, therefore no chrome lined barrells. They had to make their firearms more robust than the other countries that made the same weapons. The down side was that they require more frequent cleaning than chrome lined weapons.

But I may be wrong, as this information was learned on the inter webz.
  11. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    True, and likely why they kept the 8mm for their flavor for the "squad marksman rifle"

You also have to remember that Tito was no real big fan of Stalin, and was not going to just fall into line with what the ussr wanted.....they actually did have a battle plan if the same kind of thing went down that happened in Hungray in 1956....Tito made it real clear that would not happen in his country. Soviets knew it would not be a walk in the park with all those crazy slavs so they more or less left them alone.

I have an M57 and the fit and finish on that pistol is pretty darn nice....something that you would see in a store and you would think could be made today....a very well made hand gun.
  12. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    The very best military 98 Mausers were made at Brno in Czechoslovakia between the two world wars. I have some that were made for Persia in that time period, and the finish is comparable to the commercial ones.
  13. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    Thinking about muzzleloader for hunting (better tag chances).

Found a T/C Firehawk in .54 with a red dot and some other odds and ends for $400. Black thumbhole stock in stainless.

Doesn't look like that model is produced anymore, but is that a reasonable cost? Aside from the obvious differences in weight, is there an advantage/disadvantage in a .54 over the .50?

I know little about them in general.
  14. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Check your local laws first. I know my brother can't use in-line blackpowder guns for deer. I think some states set cal size limits also.
  15. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    The PNW has some strange laws, but nothing too bad. No sealed breech, no pellet powder, no centerfire primers, no scope or assisted (fiber optic) sites. WA/OR/ID are all the same - rules to keep it more "real". Caliber is not an issue either - .50 cal or larger for elk and deer.
  16. sect8dr

sect8dr ride them all

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just wondering what this might be worth. Got a guy wanting to trade an Inland M1 Carbine for it and just not looking to get burned on this.
  17. VegasKLRider

VegasKLRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not too far apart really. I would put both around $650- depending on the shape that the M1 is in. YMMV.
  18. Medicine Creek

Medicine Creek 127.0.0.1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    THEY ARE GONNA BAN THEM ALL....wish list. :lol3

what, that you could actually go into a shop and buy, would you want right now assuming a serious ban actually happens?

i want a Browning A-bolt long range hunter laminate in 300 ultra mag.

[​IMG]

and an STI Trojan.

[​IMG]

both guns i'm pretty sure i'll still be able to buy in a year or two but ones i'd buy today if i thought i wouldn't.

what's on yer pre ban wish list?
  19. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Sorry, forgot this isn't CSM and my post was political. My bad...self-policed.
  20. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    1911's can be dangerous but a Trojan is safe enough to fuck with:evil