Ultra gravel-traveller. RC8´ed Adv-S...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LocuL, May 29, 2010.

1. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Hi

I´m in the mood for changes and economy is with me.

Its an old dream i´ve been hagling around with.

It starts with my 530exc is offroading very much. The ours are growing quickly and i´m getting better and better. I don´t get to use the 950 for offroad as much. My divorce made it possible for me to travel again and the lust for adventures on the steed is strong. I have had a good eye for the FJR1300 for fast, light, single travel. But the thought about i couldn´t travel offroad made me dump the idea.
    Then i thought it could be great fun to build an offroad FJR. My thoughts are fast on the tarmac and smooth on the gravel. I have allways dreamed of having more power to travel fast on the highways.
    Plans/ideas are:
    1: RC8(R) engine(EFI)
    2: Touratech tanks front and 2x10l back.
    3: Giantloop, hennesyhammock, jetboil....ultralight.
    4: 320mm front/rear rally suspensionmod.

I know a lot would ask if the engine doesn´t punch enough and sure it does. But i´ve been riding the bike for a LONG time now and would like to make som exciting changes.

QUestions are:
    1: Does anyone have any idea if the engine could drop in with or without minor efforts. My maine concern is at the swingarm.
    2: How is the gearing? Can i get the transmission to work at less speed(i do not need to trial the bike)?
    3: Which kind of mileage can expect from the rc8?

Any concerns or thoughts about the project, please write it.

I´m well aware that the project wont come easy and it doesn´t need to. I will be going to ISAF later next year.

Regards
    Mikael
    Denmark
    chainbreaker and husa550 like this.
  2. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    The big sump at the front & bottom of the RC8 might be an issue ...

[​IMG]
  3. HWSNBN

HWSNBN Banned

Oddometer:
    Playing a d00d, disguised as another d00d
    If I was just divorced, I'd not waste my time wrenching when I would pick up a perfectly good 950 and hit South America with a handful of dollars and a boxful of condoms... just sayin'
    thirsty 1, 303BCOD, KSPLS and 2 others like this.
  4. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    I like your way of thinking... I'm in Brazil right now there certainly isn't any lack of exiting... adventures... to be had if I put it like that. :D

Certainly much more exiting than taking something that works well (like a 950) and making into something else. Life is short, no point in reinventing the wheel.
  5. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    NJaaaa...

First of all we all got different ways to handle stuff like what i´m going through.
    Second i wouldn´t be going to South America, i need to travel way more in the scandinavien. I like the mentality and it isn´t stupid warm.
    Third is that i love to wrench and make my own stuff even better.

What it lacks in exciting adventures, i´m getting that in the green zone Helmand.

Keep it rolling
  6. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would first see what I can do with the existing 950/990 engine before a transplant.
    You can easily get 100hp on the back wheel on this engine. There is a member here claiming 130hp on his SE (powercell). I also think that 150bhp is not what this frame, suspension, swingarm etc are made for. Just have a look at how different the swingarms between the 950 and RC8 are.
    Anyway, all i am trying to say, is that a pair of FCR carbs plus a well sorted exhaust system and fueling will be more fun, more useful and cheaper than going big.
  7. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    I really don´t think that the swingarm should be in trouble with 150hp. When the the swingarm gives in its because you have been offroading and jumping the big pig. Ofcourse my thoughts.
    Muzzan likes this.
  8. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    U should know ...didn't u manage to break yours once already?

/Johan
  9. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    I admire your needs ..

But if your worried about mileage at speeds which i rekon i know you want to travel at:lol3 you lookin at around 200 i rekon, maybe less, the sp1 gets around 160 at full throttle.

I know they are'nt in the same league but my 990 adv s with map get's about 180 k's before the fuel light goes on when i'm heavy on it.

Why not just bomb a 950/990 put safari tanks on it a gpr single system for even more room for fuel or a turbo:lol3
    Or fit a duke r motor in it:evil.

Best wishes on this one:thumbup
  10. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    yep

:evil
    chevtech likes this.
  11. azdrhill

azdrhill AZ offroad rider

Oddometer:
    I just put a pair of 39 FCR's on my bike and (while I'm still breaking it in) they f'n ROCK! That combined with the Aqualine tanks - I can go like a bat outta hell for twice as long as with the stock tanks. BTW - I am running Remus Ti cans too. I looked into the RC8 stuff while my engine was being rebuilt - and decided it was too top end oriented and cammy for an offroad bike. That's why I got the 39 FCR's and not the 41's. Pick yer poison for your riding style and environment...
  12. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    1000cc bore, superduke heads and that topped with fcr´s would be the bomb, way better then a rc8 engine transplant i guess.
    That with a custom and calculated exhaust system would get you a completely diffrent bike.
  13. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might check to see if the RC8 crank, pistons, cylinders and heads could be fitted to your cases/bottom end. I quite like the idea. I doubt fuel consumption would be any worse than the carb'd 950 provided you get the mapping dialed in pretty well.
  14. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    that will not fit. the rc8 guts are quite diffrent from ours.
  15. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Not that i´m any nearer the project but something got aside this day.

It is possible to mount the engine. The images is from Robie Peterson(hillclimber). As you see its a LC8 frame without to much touchup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is very good information.
  16. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have exactly the same plans as you for my SE06 after 75000 km. New RC8 engine. Winterproject 20111-2012 perhaps. Im afraid the ground clearance will suffer too much. How many centimeters (inches) do you guess from the photos? My other major concern is space for the radiator. I dont want the FI. Pity the FCRs are only available in max 41 mm. Why not just put the 43 mm vacuum carbs and keep the aftermarket exhaust for the 950? Say less power on full rpms but prob a tremendous bottom force!! And...forget about the "too much for the frame..." Much more (>300 hp) is required to twist these.
  17. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the RC8 fat frame and swingarm is more for stability and non-wobbling at +300 km/h. Mechanical sturdyness cant be an issue. Suspension and brakes is for speed, not for power and torque.
  18. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    I don´t think that ground clearance would be to bad for the Adv. Anyway i´ll do the 320 or 300mm suspension. If you are thinking hardcore enduro with a RC8 SE it could probably be a problem, but then you will have many other concerns as controlling 150+ hp on wet logs... :evil

I do agree that the radiator can give some problems. I was hoping i could keep the LC8 radiator and double fan it. But space is tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As i said, i dont think clearance would be a problem as long we are talking adventure riding.

Mikael
  19. jamesbrown

jamesbrown Lefty tighty.

Oddometer:
    Wow, I'm surprised that fits so well. Looks like the stock radiator might fit down low in between the sump and the head, a little further back than stock (depending on routing of the header):

[​IMG]
  20. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Youre right, ground clearance is not an issue BUT
    No way my radiator would fit there:cry
    I think they had to tilt the motor forward a little
    Ill go for a "hotrod" LC8 990 instead