1 or 2 pricey bikes vs many affordable bikes

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ScenicCitySVCult, Jan 20, 2015.

1. ScenicCitySVCult

ScenicCitySVCult All Dangle No Angle

Oddometer:
    Damn...

I would've shown up with the cash just so I could finally test ride one!
  2. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    A radio!? No thanks.

What I want in a bike is a throttle response so good my mouth hurts because I can't wipe that silly grin off my face.

I ride hard enough traction control would ruin all the fun. If I'm not locking up a wheel entering a corner and spinning it coming out (on dirt or asphalt) then I'm not having fun.

I've also learned (the hard way) that expensive suspension and brakes are necessary if you ride as hard as I do and expect to come home without broken ribs.

So yeah, that's I can easily justify spending 20k on a bike, although the most expensive bike I've ever owned was closer to 10k (secondhand). If I'd bought it new, and a couple more upgrades, it would have been around 20k.
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I rule, I never try to tell anyone (adult) what they should or should not do; however, the essence of this issue seems to beg an analogy: One really good woman versus multiple mediocre ladies? How many can you ride at one time? What will get you into the least amount of difficulty, financial or otherwise? Which is more fun? What requires the least amount of upkeep, maintenance and storage space? What will cause you the least amount of angst, storm and stress? Of course some will say a motorcycle isn't like a woman. Oh?
  4. ScenicCitySVCult

Oddometer:
    Veeeery interesting pov lol!
  5. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you only do one type of riding, then one really good bike makes sense. Or maybe one really good bike and a cheap spare in case the "good" bike is down for servicing.

However, I do a wide variety of riding. I ride almost every day to work, the grocery store and around town. I like to ride with my sport bike buddies. I take weekend or longer trips, sometimes with camping gear. I ride with my cruiser or scooter buddies. I ride off road & dual sport.
    I don't care how much money you spend on a bike, it won't be able to do all the things I like to do as well my four bikes are.

One top of that, some of us just like the variety. Do four bikes require more maintenance than one? yes but not that much more. Instead of one set of tires on each bike it would be four sets on one bike. About the only extra maintenance is more fluid changes and maybe more batteries. Also, if one bike is broke or needs new tires, I can ride a different one. Nothing worse than a beautiful day and no bike to ride.

So how many bikes do you need? It really depends on how many types of riding you do and how much time you have to ride. Last year I sold my XT350. I loved that bike but had been riding it less than 1000 miles per year so it was time to sell it. I expect to ride at least 3000 miles per bike per year on my current bikes.
  6. ScenicCitySVCult

Oddometer:
    I think I like the formulaic approach...

the answer is n+1 where n=the amount of motorcycles you currently have.
  7. gmiguy

gmiguy You rode a what to where?

Oddometer:
    Not saying you're right or wrong, but just to demonstrate a different approach to the same application:

With the exception of the offroad/DS stuff my bike usage is similar to yours.

I've found that a single competent general-purpose bike with a bit of ergo work and some few well-chosen accessories can do a fine job for milk runs, long trips, barnstorming, and bike night "cruising". Rarely, if ever, do I feel like I would have a better/easier/funner time with a different machine.

For me, the financial and convenience costs of having multiple bikes outweigh the incremental benefits that come from specialization.

There's not much you can do on pavement that can't be done very competently by a properly set-up $3,500 CBR600F4i or similar.
  8. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have what you need why would you want one more that you have to service?
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have 4. I used to have more and may go down to 3 at some point so n+1 doesn't apply to me.
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because anything more than one is about wants, not needs. :)
  11. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Bought my 2002 FZ1 from a guy for 3250 back in 2013. 12 years old and only 16K miles! Not that I've really racked up the miles or anything. Point being, 3-6K is a great range to look for a used bike that is still in great shape. On my bike for instance, it runs great, and all I have done so far is change oil, replace the tires when needed, and out of an abundance of caution I replaced the 12 year old clutch cable. The throttle cables are in the garage, just haven't done that yet. Oh, I have no idea how to wrench either. I just find forum how-tos and watch YouTube videos. Tons of both for the FZ1.

There are a lot of reports out there of people putting over 100K miles on this bike, so I am not worried about reliability going forward. I will pay someone to check the valves at 30K miles or so whenever I get there. I am not pulling the top off this inline 4. While apart, I'll probably have the shop go over all 4 carbs as well. Again, something I have no training or experience with, and I don't want to mess it up. If I owned a cheap thumper with one carb I might give it a try, but not on this.
  12. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    In Germany we have a saying/rhyme:
    "Frauen und Pferde, die sind teuer,
    aber Pferde, die sind treuer."
    Translated it means:
    "Women and horses are expensive,
    but horses are more loyal."
    Sounds not as nice after translation, but fits well to your comparison since horse can easily be exchanged by motorcycle in this saying.

That makes it the 2 of the "1 or 2" in the title. One bike for paved roads, one bike for unpaved and off roads. OK, you might want to say if someone is racing he needs a third bike for the track. Specialization above that is because one can and for the good feeling, the real world benefit is neglectible.

With so low mileage, being in need for a backup vehicle in winter, I most probably wouldn't invest in expensive bikes as well. It's just too less time to have fun with them to rectify large expenses. Maybe I would stay with two used ones for together 10...15k€ then.
  13. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    be nice but have barely room for two cars and 1 bike.let alone more bikes.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    With so low mileage, being in need for a backup vehicle in winter, I most probably wouldn't invest in expensive bikes as well. It's just too less time to have fun with them to rectify large expenses. Maybe I would stay with two used ones for together 10...15k€ then.

For some reason the quote feature won't work on wraith rider's posts:huh But it works on everyone else. Not sure what is going on but I just copied part of his post above.

I didn't make it clear in my post that he is referring to. What I meant to say is that I expect to ride at least 3000 miles on each of my bikes next year.

I expect to ride over 18000 miles total.

I would have a hard time justifying keeping a bike that I rode less than 1000 miles per year unless it was a pure dirt bike or maybe a track bike.
  15. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:

OK, than it was a misunderstanding. About 2...3k miles per year is what I roughly expect on my secondary, cheaper, less often renewed form of transport as well. With the VFR it's normally 10...12k miles a year.
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read what you just wrote...

First, "That didn't come to my mind until now." You said the new stuff is "so much more fun"... for who? I The point is you always seem to be implying or out right saying that my choice, along with others, is not as enjoyable as yours. Now if you said "so much more fun for me" then I would never have a comment. YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT IS FUN FOR ME, AND OTHERS, ANY MORE THAN I DO OF WHAT IS FUN FOR YOU. You can guess, but you don't KNOW.

Second point, you imply my comments were only about dirt/gravel. Re-read. I said he rides an 82 Katana over the ZX14 in general. Nothing to do with dirt/gravel. I did mention he rides his DRz when we ride, because of dirt/gravel we ride. But you only apparently read what you want into it, then imply stupidity. Nice response... .

Finally with reference to my first paragraph. It isn't that we don't like any or everything you like, it is that you virtually always imply anyone that doesn't like what you like is receiving lesser enjoyment, less knowledgeable, or less skillful than you because of their choices. Like you know what is right for all.

One line I dropped from my original post to use as a bit of an analogy - I know a lot of guys who would "imply" your four wheeler choice is quite wimpy. They're running big inch 4wd or competition type 4 wheelers and having far more fun. I had it in my comments, but dropped it. I guess I'll include it this time, with the comment - not everyone gets the same kind of enjoyment from the exact same thing. They've said similar stuff about riding off road bikes, but having ridden both kinds of machines I personally prefer two wheels to four, but won't say they are not having as much fun.

If you write including that it is what YOU like and NOT as if everyone should do the same and you will get far less negative comments. What you like is not "the most fun" period, but rather "the most fun for me" (meaning your personal pleasure).
  17. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Envious of a braggart wannabe big kid, who gets his jollies out of riding the boring autobahn on a lard-arse Euro down, Euro a month VFR?

Not likely.

Envious of those who have the time and facilities to maintain and enjoy machines that are cheaper, more lithe and more interesting on byways and beyond?

A little at present, perhaps, but have been there done that in a number of countries in the past, and likely will do so again in future.

For now I get a buzz out of the 1997 bike I bought second hand for €425 over 11 years ago.
  18. ScenicCitySVCult

Oddometer:
    ...Why are you even here? Go away.
  19. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI, I do various types of riding (e.g., slab, secondary and back roads, gravel, dirt, grass, forest, RR tracks, and the occasional bit of snow and ice) but don't seem to need more than one bike to do it. As for mileage, 15,000 per bike per year is the norm and since this bike hasn't ever broken down, not having a bike to ride hasn't been an issue. YMMV.
  20. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I thought it would be obvious that I am speaking for me. For whom should I speak if not for me? Do you demand from everyone who shares your opinion to include a disclaimer about talking only for himself in every post as well?

What does not mean, that this specific choice is a waste of money or doesn't provide fun. I never said something like that. In fact, I said the complete opposite in my first post in this thread, that such a choice could provide more fun per dollar than my choice. Now tell me, how can you interpret "your choice provides more fun per dollar than mine" as "your choice is a waste of money and doesn't provide fun at all"?

You never specified how much of his riding is dirt/gravel riding. You only said he prefers the ZX14 for long distance riding and the DRZ for dirt/gravel use together with you, what's quite understandable and normally wouldn't be worth mentioning for me because it comes so natural.
    Also, in the past I always said, and am still saying, that with a reasonable amount of unpaved roads on a trip, it's better to have a dual purpose bike. But in no way this has to be cheap or low powered. Only if the terrain gets more rough, weight plays an increasing role. I always said that.
    Now where's your problem?

If nothing else, at least this claim is complete bullshit. I never even nearly implied something like this, nor did it come to my mind.

She could use a bit more power and higher top speed as well as ABS (with an off-switch). Besides that she does what I want her to do for a reasonable price. She's the choice nearest to my needs I can and want to afford. While I don't have the urge to go off road on a specified number of wheels, I am not as blind to not see that some more pimped ATVs have way better off road capabilities than mine. I don't see why it should be a problem to accept that.

One way or another, I will definitely not start to add a disclaimer to every of my posts only because I don't accord with the mainstream.
    My initial post in this thread contains 17 "I"s, 3 "me"s and 5 "my"s. That should be BY FAR enough to clarify that I am talking about what I like, what fits ME and what's right for MY circumstances. Show me someone answering to the initial question who made it more clear.
    It's always the same guys who can't stand MY opinion and start to flame while I am not doing anything else than everyone else here, describing my experiences. So calm down everyone, stop nitpicking and accept my right to tell my fucking experiences the same way everyone else around here does.