2014 GSA Ride Modes

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by bdx, Jun 19, 2014.

1. bdx

bdx Wheeeee!

Oddometer:
    I have been impressed with the multiple personality disorder of my 2014 R1200GSA. The ride modes are really helpful and fun. But I have a question. I haven't read anything on this and MAYBE it has been discussed. Is there anything that says the ride modes affect the steering stabilizer? I swear the steering get quicker in Enduro Mode and Super Quick in Enduro Pro. Anyone else noticed this? Is this a thing I am going to be lambasted for because I don't know the answer. It has been a while since I read through the ride mode descriptions and I don't remember anything about the stabilizer.

Let 'er Buck.
  2. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To answer your question with another question: do you see any electrical wiring leads hooked to the stabilizer? If not, then no. Kind of a neat idea, though.
  3. bdx

bdx Wheeeee!

Oddometer:
    I did look for wiring. Didn't see any. But that doesn't mean that the engineering wizards at BMW didn't cast some sort of spell on the damper. :evil To me it is a noticeable difference in steering and just wondered if anyone else "felt" it.
  4. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    The steering damper is passive.

What you might feel is the effect of the (rear) suspension altering the ride height a bit and with it the steering geometry.
  5. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ This
  6. Steiney

Steiney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +2 on picard, dial the ride height up in the rear and the bike turns in much quicker...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  7. bdx

bdx Wheeeee!

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm sure that is it. Just had to make sure there wasn't some wizardry involved.
  8. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    I may be wrong but the shocks only go up and down when you work the ESA button . The Ride modes ROAD, RAIN, DYNAMIC and ENDURO I believe effect throttle response,fuel injection, traction control etc..
  9. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride modes have a default shock setting, too. Road defaults to Normal ESA. Dynamic changes it to Hard, etc. You can then override the ESA setting. Also, if the Enduro Pro plug is installed the bike will remember your overrides as you change modes.
  10. Scottishman

Scottishman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question to this thread. How many of you have tried Enduro Pro mode, and how skilled are you? I ask because my dealer (who has done a lot of off road) said that it is meant for really skilled riders - like professional level. I plan to try it out once I get some knobbies on her.
  11. JCMagoo

JCMagoo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a plug?

I have a '14 GS I bought as a demo with a lot of upgrades (computer, wire wheels, heated grips, pannier mounts, etc.)

Tell me more about this plug. Is it so etching. Need to buy and install?
  12. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes I have used Pro mode, and am not a "Pro".
    The statement that Enduro Pro is for Professionals, is like saying if you own an S100RR you must be a track guy. I don't understand your dealers logic. I could be wrong, but I think the only difference between Pro and none Pro Enduro is the rear anti lock brake is shut off. That is the only difference I have noticed, and like I said I could be wrong.
  13. JCMagoo

JCMagoo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found the plug. Strange idea to add a removable device. Lawyers no doubt.

This is from their summary page at http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/...l/suspension/item_riding_modes.html&notrack=1

"For more ambitious enduro riders, BMW Motorrad offers the “Enduro Pro” mode. This riding mode provides spontaneous engine response characteristics and is designed for use with studded tyres. At the same time, the ABS function is disengaged at the rear by pressing the footbrake lever; the optional Dynamic ESA shifts into traction-oriented and optimum bottom-out set-up. ASC is set to professional enduro mode and permits considerably more slip. In this configuration, the sporty face of the new BMW R 1200 GS is revealed off-road, too, and the experienced enduro rider can move into an added dimension of riding fun due to further improved controllability of the machine."
  14. bdx

bdx Wheeeee!

Oddometer:

Knobbies NOT required. You can switch it to that mode anytime. I took mine out on a loose gravel road and tried all the modes. (Cause in Kansas we blast a lot of country roads that vary from soft sand to extreme hard pack) I wanted to know which mode handled best. Road Mode is best for high speeds. No suprises, just straight and solid. Enduro Pro is for having some fun. It will make your heart race a time or two in the loose stuff at high speed but for powersliding corners etc it is a hoot. Simply my opinion, but don't be trying out different modes in traffic or congested areas. Try all the different modes someplace isolated so you can get a feel for how the bike reacts in each different mode. Again... just my opinion, but there are at least 3 different and distinct motorcycles contained in this bike and you need to learn to ride each one.

ie: If you pull up to a stop light in Dynamic mode and start to pull away like you are in Road or Rain, you will have rolled on too much throttle and by the time the clutch hits the end of its stroke, you'll be scrambling back up to get a hold of the handlebars. Try them all. You don't have to be a pro rider OR have knobbies. Just be smart and cautious until you find your comfort level with each.
    LOVING THIS BIKE.:clap
  15. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    and the suspension defaults to hard. Normal enduro mode puts the suspension in the soft setting.
  16. bdx

bdx Wheeeee!

Oddometer:
  17. highplains drifter

highplains drifter Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. bdx

bdx Wheeeee!

Oddometer:
    My dealer wouldn't do it. Your dealer is naughty.
  19. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:

And you get full power. Enduro mode is softer in power delivery. Front brake ABS is also more "lenient" in E.Pro. E.Pro also allows much more rear wheel spin than Enduro.
  20. Travman

Travman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember, you can manually turn off ACS and ABS in either Enduro mode.