Converted to dual-sport? POST PICS!!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Sinistersculler, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Paulutions

Paulutions Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanx. I've checked the shadow forums. There's a lot on bobbers, but none where anyone seems to want to increase ground clearance. I am also putting a trailer hitch on mine, as the nearest halfway decent grocery store is 40 miles away. I know that I won't get the 45 m.p.g. that I am currently getting out of the shadow, but the 15 m.p.g. that I am getting out of the jeep is kinda killing me. I have looked and looked & have not seen a Vt1100 dual sport. Of course, there's good reason for that. But, its what I've got to work with.
  2. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

What kind'a trailer you planning on pulling? Have you seen these that an inmate makes? They are cool.

http://www.moto-mule.com/index.html
  3. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now SouthMS

Wow that is crazy - I too was planning on doing a trailer hitch.

I got inspired by this one, going to make something similar to the one pictured below and the "Moto-Mule" - working on mine currently, picked up a Scooter wheel & shock of Craigs List last week for cheap now to bend up a frame.

[​IMG]

The trailer thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470415
  4. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    That's a nice trailer setup, but I think I'd rather have the hitch connected to the axle. That guy sure carried a lot of fuel.
  5. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I'm no trailer guy(not yet anyways!), but what advantage would having the hitch connected to the axle? I would think it would be better isolated from the shock and movement that occurs at the rear wheel, especially off road. wouldn't having it attached to the axle also affect the way the bikes suspension reacts over bumps by increasing unsprung weight?
    maybe not, just asking!
  6. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

Probably pros & cons to either way, but it seems like the bike's suspension doesn't need any extra load to carry. Your points are good too, so I don't know which is best. Going to the axle looks simpler to mount.
  7. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. back when I was a thinner man and into mountain biking I liked the BOBs Trailer far far better than anything else that came along .. mainly for the reason that the BOBs mounted off the rear axle .. much lower center of gravity for packing some pretty incredible loads through some nasty terrain .. forest service used to use them to haul their gear too .. the one main think you had to watch out for (besides hanging it one big rock) was going down hill and having it puch your tire around on you (not unlike hauling a big boat) .. but even with large loads it didn't ever make you feel top heavy ..

.. I still have my original BOBs trailer .. tough as nails ..

.. funny enough .. I tried like heck to get them to make a motorcycle trailer for years with no luck .. I finally gave up on them ..

.. I like the look of that trailer behind the TW200 .. with it slung like that it should be very stable ..
  9. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I always wanted one of those trailers...

I can see why they'd stay out of the motorized market with the lawsuits that could, and would, happen to riders whose rear axles got pushed, or guys who took the trailers off-road at something stupid like 60 MPH, then had a catastrophic trailer frame failure later on the street. The companies who make wider and heavy cruiser-trailers are pretty assured that their trailers rarely see off-road trails, lol.

But, like you, I see the benefits - thus if I thought I wanted one for a motorcycle I would have gone to a welding and fabrication shop with my own BOB-like plans and had them build me one. Choose the right shop and it probably won't cost you a ton, either.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
  11. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. that is so close to a BOBs that it's hard to imagine it's not made by them .. or their manufacturer at least ..

.. I'd like to see it with the wraparound frame my old BOB has though .. seems like a ton of torque/load on that front "neck" .. but they probably know a helluva lot more about what they are doing than I do .. lol ..

.. thanks for that link .. I think I see some of my dollars headed their way ..

12. lord_oblivion

lord_oblivion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First step done. Conti's fited and balanced. Looks well different, little more agressive :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In forks now is w15 grade oil, feels much softer, smoother then w20.
  13. TerraRoot

TerraRoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    alpina likes this.
  14. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Converted to Super-Motard!

I like this a lot...
  15. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    With the right tires,

[​IMG]

and the right rider ( stephan Peterhansel ) almost anything qualfies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More here: R1 in the Dirt
    DuaKembara and Squily like this.
  16. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    The R1 in the desert is unbelievable! WOW......:eek1
  17. D-Pow

D-Pow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    R1 is the dirt is crazy for sure.
  18. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone took a hot knife to that tire.They really hogged out a lot of rubber for better sand traction.

[​IMG]
  19. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    Did you do all the work to the Magna? Looks cool!
  20. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now SouthMS

+1 - Great looking Magna