Carrying Deodorant

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Jamie Z, Nov 30, 2011.

1. El Explorador

El Explorador Radical Explorer

Oddometer:
    Guatemala City, Guatemala, and going down!
    When I was in 'Nam getting deodorant without speaking the language was next to impossible as soon as I left the cities. I learned that after a while you get inured to your own funk and take a while to understand why people talk to you from a distance. The smelly traveller is the lonely traveller.
  2. Rock Junkee

Rock Junkee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tea tree brand i use is thursday plantation and you should be able to find it at any health food store
  3. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kool.Thanks.
  4. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    :photog
  6. ScooterboyII

ScooterboyII Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have never found a deodorant I like. I take a 99 cent bottle of isoproyl alcohol & wet a rag or paper towel to rub myself down with. It kills all the germs which causes the stink you or anybody else can't stand.
  7. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum.I may try that when I take a long ride.I usually take a rock bath in a creek or river that I'm passing by or camping near.Nothing better than being one with nature, until you get stung or bitten on the back of the balls, while dropping a load of fertilizer. :jack
  8. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is what I went with, thanks. I had no clue a product like this existed. It has all excellent reviews online.

Local Walmart had it for a couple bucks. I haven't actually used it yet, but the can it comes in looks to be pretty secure. I don't have to worry about it melting and leaking. And the can is pretty small. Excellent for packing light.

Thanks.

I'm not sure why this thread got so many smartass remarks. I brush my teeth too when I'm on a long trip, believe it or not. Why would I forget personal hygiene because I'm riding my motorcycle?

Jamie
    Grinnin likes this.
  9. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've learned to enjoy going chem free.Keeps all those damn nosey people away when I ride.Stay up wind or in front of me if you see me coming.:rofl
  10. Taliman

Taliman n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't know how well this stuff holds up to heat on the road, but it will dry you up like the Sahara Desert. The GF turned me on to this stuff and it works better than any of the "manly" deodorants I have ever put under my arms. My first experience with this stuff was from a slow erotic lick in a particularly sensitive area of my girlfriends arm that just happened to have some of this stuff on it.... :evil I walked around pouring water on my tongue for three days trying to get the moisture back. I usually always use one of the Mennen Speed Sticks for routine days, but if I want to stay dry and stay that way for a couple of days or more, this is the stuff I go to.
    [​IMG]
  11. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah baby!I'm man enough to use that.:rofl
  12. erbemone

erbemone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Armpit licker.:lol3
  13. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Deodorant and Adventure Riders in the same sentence. I do remember you smelling pretty bad when you dropped in on us this past summer.... Offered you a camp-site with a shower, and you declined. Now you are talking deodorant, I am confused...
  14. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    My normal antiperspirant / deodorant I use has 15% active ingredient. The premium priced three "Clinical Strength" antiperspirants / deodoants I looked at were all 20% of the same active ingredient. Only 5% difference.

So why not just wipe more of the cheaper stuff on? Or better yet, use much less of the clinical strength stuff?
  15. accurate iron

accurate iron Adventurer

Oddometer:

pics of the armpits or it didnt happen
  16. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't use deos with aluminum and/or zinc in them.They leave chemicals type burns in my arm pits.A few years back,I was at the beach.We bought some sun screen and it wasn't labeled to have zinc in it.20 minutes later and I was at our condo infirmary with burns over my chest,back,and arms.I still have slight discoloration on sections of my skin across my shoulders and back from the scars. :becca
  17. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
  18. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad this got bumped up. I wanted to update my experience. As noted above, I purchased a jar of Arid Extra Dry Cream for use on a one-month ride through the US and Canada in July.

I chose the cream because unlike gels or sticks which melt and become unusable, not to mention the potential mess, the cream comes in a container which is basically air tight so if it melts, it's still usable and it won't leave a mess.

The cream did, in fact, melt a few times. I know I opened it once or twice in mid-day to see a pool of liquid in the container. I simply screwed the lid back on tight and put it back in my pack. Every morning or after any shower, though, the cream was perfectly usable. I was impressed.

After returning home to Memphis in late July, I continued to use and carry the Arid cream on my bike. After numerous melting and solidifying cycles, the cream separated into a liquid and solid and hasn't returned to a state of being a cream.

So... the cream did work, but in excessively hot conditions, the life of the deodorant cream appears to be limited. Fortunately, it's not too expensive and easily replaceable.

Jamie
  19. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    I have two votes, one for the crystal and one for going deodorant free. I dont like the idea of my jacket smelling like pits every time I put it on at work after a summer adventure. However, when Im out on the road I couldnt care less how I smell. Of course, some people smell worse than others, my pits smell like quality green bud. My nuts and feet on the other hand get goldbond.
  20. HeyWhatever

HeyWhatever Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between the Women's thread, the nut nipping thread and the deodorant thread... someone needs to go riding more often... :rofl