Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. luckyjr

luckyjr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Up -Tite exhaust system on my 95 xr600r. I am looking to buy a FMF or other muffler and still use my header. The header pipe measures 1.875 dia where the muffler pipe mates over it. It intersects to the right of the frame tube and the muffler pipe angles outward slightly. ANYONE know of a lite weight muffler that will work? [​IMG]
  2. Royal Club

Royal Club Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my new forkprotectors from acerbis (used.)

before:
    [​IMG]

While building:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    nice sleeve to pass the brakeline through
    [​IMG]

and a question about some electrical magic.

This plug was kinda burned and I had to break it loose from the female side.. What does it do and why was it burned/melted?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    aaaay

thats a euro harness so I cant help much but here are a few thoughts...whats it connected to and are you overloading those wires?

were they dirty? use DIALECTRIC grease on all connectors

thats about all I can help with

vibrations will and can cause the same thing to happen from being too close together...I like to space wires apart especially at the connectors and not ziptie them all in a closed bunch as the heat does a lot of melting!:D

BUT you like fires dontcha? so have at it! jajajajaja:rofl
  4. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    Im getting sick and tired of my rusty headers, even washing before and after a bech ride, or using other methods including sprays wd40 etc...my headers just wont stay black

I have tried baking, painting, double painting, using primers, no primers, etc..etc...

I cant afford new headers or even some xl headers cause if shipping so I was wondering if I can do the ultimate sacrilege and try wrapping them and paint them over?

has anybody had DIRECT EXPERIENCE with this, not just opinion please...Ive read a million pros and cons, and know many who use it...

Im also getting tired of the heat and the fact that the damn header started rubbing my oil feed line to the head last ride when it got a bit loose

yikes!

anywhoo

I mean if someone tells me it will last 1 year before crumbling to peices maybe it will help me save up for a powerbomb or xl headers or a new exhaust for my twin headers I restored

thanks guys

:D
  5. Royal Club

Oddometer:
    Y U IGNORE MY NEW FORK PROTECTORS... :cry:cry:cry:cry

On your header issue: Try VHT heatresistant/flameproof spraypaint..

OR

Try find that paint they use on oldskool stoves/ovens and the likes and apply it with a brush, nice and thick, will chip less easily

edit: on a side note, WD-40 is crap in my opinion, it works a little for a lot of things, but in the end its crap, its no penetrant oil, its no contact spray, etc.
  6. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Bad connections , either loose or from corrosion. Power trying to go thru a smaller conductor. Same as if a wire were cut half way thru would become a hot spot.
  7. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I think you would have to adapt a bit. Mine is FMF. The joint from header to midpipe is further forward on yours.
  8. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    They also have a quiet insert for the Powercore muffler for about $30 or so that is supposed to bring it down 3-4 db IIRC.
  9. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    I cant find vht and I cant import it down here but I have used both exhaust paint and oven bbq paint...cant remember which one lasted more but it was less than 6 months...

It has to do where I ride..rain too...I just dont know what else to try...I even had my old exhaust painted and baked at a muffler shop...still only lasts a while

we haver very bad tropic rainy season down here...its will start in 4 months or so...

ps, I like the bling yo! I still prefer boots though
  10. Mossy-Back

Oddometer:
    Is there anyone in your area who does powdercoating, or better yet, ceramic coating?
  11. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    brown, that would be a BIG NO and it kills me

wrap is expensive already but I wanted to try using some mylar wrap I found on the cheap...

thoughts and thanks:D!
  12. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I have wondered if you could use the coating for the wrap alone without the wrap. I would think it could take the heat. PS .Can we bury the hatchet?
  13. Mossy-Back

Oddometer:
    I'm contemplating wrapping mine. I don't really care how it looks, and it would be nice to keep the heat in the pipes.
  14. luckyjr

luckyjr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It did not look like a good match, thanks .
  15. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
    You have galvanic manufacture (plant) around?
    Chrome galvanic coating - it can help you.
    The coating can not shine like a mirror - just only cover with chrome.
    Good luck.
  16. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Christian,

I have painted the header on one XRL and the muffler on the other with VHT paint after a through sand blasting and the paint just doesn't hold up. Rusted right away. The powder coater I use has hi temp semi gloss black paint available and I'll be sending my stuff there shortly. Of course I have a few spare headers and I can have one done for you if you want. I'll even grind down the welds. We'll just have to figure out how to get it to you.
  17. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    appreciate it bud...what about those xl headers you said you had? jajaja you know the one with the hole? geeze! jajaja

kidding

you have the same issue as me, its the salt air and hiumidity like the bay area...nothing works after what honda did to them at the factory

Ivanyych yes we have galvanizers, BUT THEY SUCK...I see bumpers done all the time, it has become a lost art, not to mention highly poluting...

so whats the process your shop friend does exactly to the headers? there HAS to be something I can do locally...

I dont want to bother you with sending stuff down with anna and stuff...too much...

I will send stuff up though jajajaja!
  18. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Christian...

Oeh no, rust on a dirtbike, were all doomed.... :D

Leave it alone and save the money for some stainless. It seems like you have a lot of money in the stock headers, when buying different kinds of paint, ect? :cry
  19. Royal Club

Oddometer:
    I dunno what a stainless costs for you Christian, but in Germany ABP sells stainless headers for around 150euro's..
  20. deejay_xr

deejay_xr Been here awhile

Oddometer: