Is it ok to filter to b 1st?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GSAragazzi, Sep 30, 2012.

1. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in TX it's illegal to split lanes in moving traffic, so my question is not in regards to legality but safety. Is it ok to filter thru when reaching an intersection to be in front and not trapped in between cars (who are checking Facebook, answering calls and returning txts)? I've been riding for 20 or so yrs -sport bikes- this is my first Dual sport and I've noticed a different attitude towards me without me changing any of my riding habits. I would like to keep that going .Just don't feel like getting plowed from my 6 or cut into while waiting for a light to turn in exchange. Then again, I am enjoying this new "friendly" attitude towards me and the bike I ride.
    So what's your call? yes: get to the front ( piss cagers off), or no: wait in line (just don't get killed). :ear
    Cheers
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Legally no! Morally yes! However, in most places you are likely to get hurt trying.

Jim :brow
  3. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    It's legal here, but some of my bikes don't always fit. I stop in line and aim at an opening, keep it in gear and watch my six...I'll fill a gap before I get rear ended, you should do the same.
  4. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what part of TX you are in, but here in DFW, most of the times nothing will happen, most are too busy texting and won't even notice, even when they are first in line and you are close enough to knock on their window (I don't suggest that though) sometimes you will get a horn honk after you have passed them, and very rarely somebody might try to block you, but when it does happen, I can almost guarantee you it will be a pickup, probably a diesel, and very likely 4wd and/or lifted. I have never had a car try to block me. Profiling works very well here. Keep on eye on Bubba, fortunately he moves pretty slow.
  5. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    .....should have made it a Poll.

[​IMG]
  6. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously you know you doing wrong or you wouldn't come here seeking validation of your justifications and excuses. It's entirely up to you if your going to break the law or not, make your own decisions and be prepared accept full responsibility for the consequences without comment.

Its ironic that many riders are so quick to pass judgment on folks in cars for doing something "wrong" yet feel free to do as they please themselves.

Ride your own ride, and assuage your own conscience.
  7. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just don't filter past this lady:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mmz-cDD0UCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know it's 205 to the 205th power, but I just had to.
  8. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't filter but do keep the transmission in 1st and the bike pointed toward an escape route incase it looks like some jackass isn't going to stop. Keep an eye on the mirrors til there's a cage or two stopped behind you as a buffer.

That's not to say you shouldn't filter. You need to do whatever you feel you need to in order to stay safe, but just be aware that other people on the road and/or the local constabulary might not care for it.
  9. _Davi_

_Davi_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here in the EU, splitting and filtering is legal, done and expected. Cars almost always give you a little space, and my Supertenere fits thru most gaps without an issue. One thing to make sure about filtering: shoulder check before you get in the gap, or you might get plowed by the bike filtering behind you!!

To put how great filtering is into perspective for those who are opposed to it, I have a lot of business in Budapest (but live about 3 hours away)... At rush hour on a monday, I can get from one side of Bpest to the other in a half hour on the Tenere. In my car, the same trip has taken over four hours. That was the last time I ever brought a cage into that town!
  10. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much the only filtering I'll do is if I come to an intersection where I'm taking a right turn, I've been known to use the space between the cars ahead of me and the curb to make my turn before the light turns green. To my knowledge I've never had a negative reaction.

As to filtering to the front of the line, I wouldn't do it. It's not legal, motorists won't expect it, and moreover, they generally won't be happy about it. Do as Sandman recommends and stay in your space, keep an escape route open, bike in gear, and watch your mirrors.

I've also mounted an auxiliary high brake light on the back of my bike in hopes of reducing the chances of being rear-ended.

Jamie
  11. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
  12. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    skipping line is lame.
  13. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you're not lane sharing then isn't it cutting in line?

BTW, I'll stop between two cars in front of me if I'm uncomfortable about leaving my six exposed and I'm not filtering to the front.

I do this on double left turn lanes if I'm not able to filter all the way up. moron cagers don't know how to keep it in their lane while turning.
  14. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like to respond to this by posting a picture from my morning commute a few years ago....

[​IMG]

I couldn't lane split through here and I got hit by a industrial sized lawn mower. THAT is why I lane split!!

Having said that, I know that Texans have been known to enforce the lawn on their own time..... and lots of them carry guns..... so it seems like quite a risk either way.
  15. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:

See the key word?
  16. mamm

mamm < advertise here! >

Oddometer:
    BEST-HI-VIZ-JACKET-EVAAAH!

----------
    Back on topic, I can't imagine riding a bike in heavy traffic and not filtering. I feel sorry for the good folks who live in a part of the world where filtering is illegal.
  17. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    The OP said it is illegal to filter in "moving" traffic in Texas. Does anyone know if it is OK once the cars have stopped at a traffic light? There would still be some risk of being illegal should the cars begin moving while you are filtering, I suppose.

Like someone else mentioned, an alternative would be to stop in such a way that you have an escape route, and keep an eye on traffic coming from behind.

In California, filtering is legal, but not recommended in the motorcycle handbook.

BTW, that lady in the video was psycho! The rider certainly instigated the incident by kicking her car, but attempted murder with a deadly object (car) is quite another level. If he had been carrying a firearm, I believe he would have been justified in firing through the front windshield. He probably got written up for vandalism, though. :eek1
  18. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Yeah well, the payout from the gubmint was prompt and generous, so I don't wanna hear it!

:hide

:lol3
  19. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Yes, filtering is better. As long as you clear out when the light changes.
  20. JRP

JRP Old guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a dual sport you are indeed special, by all means go right to the front of the line. That way you won't be hit by any of the stopped cars. :lol3