Barn find TY175

Discussion in 'Trials' started by JRAM, Nov 4, 2012.

1. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    So I picked up this gem today for the sum of a case of Coors Light. It's pretty complete but rough. The good thing is the motor turns over and seems like it has OK compression and it will shift through the gears. Are these 5 speeds? Also the shift shaft is loose, and I am confused about the the splined shaft right below it- looks like it comes through the frame? Also it appears the swingarm has been lengthened very crudely. I have a Bultaco Sherpa T for competition, but thought it would be fun to fix this one up. One of the guys I ride with has one and he does really good on it. Any comments or opinions appreciated.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You put up your whole Photostream account for everyone to look at. :eek1

Bike looks rough, don't know if I'de redo that one. Guess so!

Do a rebuild log on here, I'll watch it.
  3. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Clean the air filter, mix up some fresh gas and have a ball! :lol3

It takes a special kind of person to bring a bike like that home... I'm a little bit jealous... I hear the TY175 is a competitive vintage mount but I have not yet had the opportunity to ride one.
  4. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    Then maybe you can use some parts of the "barn find" or parting out the few usable parts.:evil

If you have heavy pockets then just go ahead, but that will be costly. :huh

The patina is very nice but the frame weldings and the crude modifications ...

I would buy a second, if I would want to do the rebuild serious, this will save some money.
  5. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:

Ok I think I got the photo thing to work. Yes it will be a long winter project- I have a history of spending money on bikes that I will never recoup- but that's what I do for fun.
  6. GarageRat

GarageRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like a fair deal. Was the beer cold?
  7. GarageRat

GarageRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fabulous Bultaco shots! I am a Bul-addict, too. Nice work!
  8. oldyams

oldyams Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From someone who's "been there done that" twice Starting with a $20 investment isn't so bad. If the motor proves solid, get a gear change kit from tytrials in the UK for under $150 or find a machinest who likes Coors light, fenders from dcplastics, some paint and decals and have fun.
    When I got my 1st TY175 I also wondered what the deal was with the splined piece on the frame. I never found out what it was for , I worried that I had bought a pieced together frankenbike.
    My problem locally is to find enough interest in a twinshock class to even have 2-3 riders.:1drink
  9. kennyh

kennyh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just completed a project on a 75 back in June. A week after I got it running I competed in a local twinshock event on it and had a lot of fun. I've got a modern montesa too. I'm surprised at how good a trials bike the little ty is, though I'm by no means an expert. tytrials in the uk has just about anything you might need and bjracing is also a good source. there are some others on this side of the pond too.

This is how it came to me.
    [​IMG]

It turned out really nice I think. It will never bring what I have in it, but it did win a local vintage show in the old dirt bike class. I had a great time doing it and riding it is a hoot too.

[​IMG]
  10. greendude

greendude Long timer

Oddometer:
    the splined shafts on the frame were for optional forward footpeg mounts that yamaha never sold along with brake and gear levers for the 175 due to very low demand.
    nice find
  11. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    wait wait I am confused..so are my pegs that mount to the splines on the frame not that common ?

[​IMG]
  12. greendude

greendude Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year I bought this TY250 and I work on it all winter. The result is a really nice and fun bike to ride in vintage trial.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
  14. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    So I have started the disassembly and have discovered some nasty things! I got the swingarm off and see that the previous owner welded another tube in front of the main tube on the swingarm to lengthen it. So now I am in search of a good swingarm. The rear sprocket has been customized. You can make just about anything fit if you try hard enough. So new rear sprocket as well.

[​IMG]
    SSPX7573 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    SSPX7575 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
  15. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Oh that poor motorcycle! I think a good welder could restore that swingarm to it's original self without too much difficulty.
  16. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Heck, it looks like you could spend a couple of those cold winter nights in the garage with the angle grinder and be in business...
  17. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Throw it back. TY 175’s always sound worn out. They are to small for normal humans and they are just not cool enough when MAR’s Sherpa T’s and Montesa’s are readily available.

Dave
  18. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Agree.. I figure while shopping for a swingarm try to salvage that one.. careful work with a angle grinder and it may come out ok
  19. greendude

greendude Long timer

Oddometer:
    got this pic off a french site on what can be done to a ty175

[​IMG]
    weldingrod likes this.
  20. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone for the info and pictures. I now have almost everything disassembled except the engine. Now the fun begins! I sandblasted the kickstand and primed it and cleaned some other hardware. BTW I did find a good swingarm from ebay.

[​IMG]
    076 by alperpa2001, on Flickr