A Plea For Help - Especially in the Pittsburgh Area - the Road of Bones

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Halsey, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Halsey

Halsey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a real long shot but maybe someone can help me out or knows someone who knows someone who can. I'm setting my bike up for a trip through Russia next year. <!-- / message -->A friend was bringing a new Ohlins shock for me back to Australia, leaving on a domestic flight from Pittsburgh airport on Friday 25th March. The nice people who were x-raying his baggage took the shock out of his luggage and said they could not tell if it was a bomb and promptly confiscated it. I expect that it found its way into the same bin that all the scissors and tooth picks and other dangerous gear goes and is probably by now resting at the Pittsburgh rubbish tip. I'f anyone out there knows anyone who works at Pittsburgh airport, especially in the area where luaggage contents are checked, or anywhere in the airport for that matter, and would be prepared to send me their contact details i would be eternally greatfull. I am more than happy to contribute to someones retirement fund if there is a happy outcome to this.
  2. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    They didn't give him a claims form of some sort?? wish i could be of more help.
  3. Deseret Rider

Deseret Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Bomb" my ___! Betcha that shock is already installed on the 'pickers' bike! "Looks like it could be a bomb" ? What a bunch of crap!
  4. c5babe

c5babe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is one of the suckiest things I've heard of in a long time. I wish I could help you. Unfortunately, I'm in the Nort Woods. Good luck.....
  5. Jac Cambo

Jac Cambo Booze Merchant

Oddometer:
    It's crappy - though he should have known better. Anything with compressed gas is not going to be allowed upon a commercial flight as hand luggage. If it were checked luggage then there should be no problem.

If it was confiscated from cargo luggage I should be very pissed off.

Try chasing after the airport by telephone with the flight ticket/receipt of your friend and see if you get anywhere I say.
  6. Traveling Man

Traveling Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My experience has been that they give you an opportunity to do something yourself with the item. They can't confiscate it but they can keep it from passing through security. Normally they give you the opportunity to check the bag. If you decline that offer it goes into there personal retirement fund at the next local TSA flea market! :huh I'm not sure there would be anyway to find it now. I have to deal with them often working for an airline and it is no fun. Wish I could help you out, good luck!
  7. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:
  8. panchovilla

panchovilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I work in Pittsburgh, PM sent to Halsey, I'll see what I can do.
  9. Halsey

Halsey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First off i would like to say in no uncertain terms that i think ADVriders is a pretty awesome forum. I have had many offers of help from many people who frequent this forum and some responses from people who don't so there are obviously plenty of fellow riders going into bat for me. Turns out that one Mr snub13 (aka Tim H) who is deputy fire chief at PIT airport and a relatively infrequent user of ADVrider got a call from forum member PARider (i hope i got that right??) and Tim now has the shock in his possession and it is now waiting for collection by UPS or Fedex to continue on it's journey Down Under. I'd like to say a special thanks to snub13 for the effort and inconvenience i have put him through and a big thanks to PARider for making the effort to make the connection and a thanks also to everyone else who has offered help or condolences. I really am surprised by the response and very greatful.

Ride safe and live a life full of adventure - we're only here for a short time on this beautiful planet.
    Cheers and thanks
    Halsey

PS Anyone interested in an unbelievably awesome handmade world beating motorbike check out dubdubdubdotbrittendotcodotnz
  10. azjodel

azjodel FIGUGEGL

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for making such a cool site:clap:clap:clap

Martin
  11. Skrow

Skrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is awesome news!!! :clap:clap
  12. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Fan freakin tastic! We all need little stories like this to help beat back the pessimism.