2014 Yamaha Triple: FZ-09 / MT-09

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, May 31, 2013.

1. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Market research determines the price point in the USA. If they can not meet the price point with ABS . . . then, they do not include it.

I would rather have the money spent on the suspension etc.
  2. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    And some riders don't want no darn electro gimmicks on their motorsickles.

Apparently :D
  3. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I think this is the real reason you don't get a lot of bikes with ABS.
    Overwhelming buyer ignorance.

They don't want them to sit at the dealerships.
  4. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Some ABS info:

"ABS on a motorbike is a horses for courses thing - it depends on the kind of bike, the kind of riding you'll do and the kind of riding style you have. You say you'll be riding regularly in the wet, then to me the ABS option would have to be considered. But again all it will do is stop you from washing out and pull you up shorter than otherwise. If you risk compensate for having ABS and ride around without due consideration for the conditions, your riding may put you in a situation that no braking solution will save you from. The EU MAIDS study analysed 900+ fatalities and braking errors were an important factor - however, subsequent revisiting of the study shows that ABS wouldn't have made much of a difference in almost all cases. What does that tell you? The most important safety device on a motorcycle is what's between the ears.

With or without ABS, one thing remains absolutely the same, learn how to brake. Set up and squeeze is just as important on an ABS bike as it is on a non ABS bike - infact even more important since managing weight transfer is a key to good braking, especially a hard emergency brake."
  5. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 .... Just a quick question, has anyone here noticed a significant difference in mileage between the modes. My commute is 140 miles round trip. I use B for crappy rainy or frosty commutes and A for everything else (STD is unusable IMHO). I haven't done the numbers but if I do the round trip in B I get home with one line of gas on the gauge and in bad traffic I get home on reserve. In A mode I get home with 2 lines no matter what the traffic was like. :dunno
  6. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm no ABS fan, either. It's definitely a nice safety feature, but I don't want the weight, complexity, or extra money spent. I haven't missed it so far, low these 30+ years. Not "ignorance," just choice.

I haven't made a check on fuel economy in the different ride modes. I wonder if you're just noticing you're a little more liberal w/the throttle when everything is smoother/tamer in "B." Don't know, just a thought. Verifiable results would be interesting to see.
  7. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are getting much better mpg than me. I ride the back roads at a brisk pace . . . Been averaging 46 mpg A/Std Mode. B mode is too tame for my liking. A mode does bring the Hooligan out of me.

If I had your daily commute . . . I would consider a low mile KLR . . . Due to it's 6 gallon tank. Maybe even get a 8 gallon after market tank.

The bike shifts like butter now . . . The front became very light in 2nd gear after 500 miles. 1st gear = "Handle with care" when leaving a stop making a turn . . . Maybe I should try B mode toooo:eek1
  8. lagcam

lagcam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Versys before this but the engine gave out at just under 70k. so trying something new. The KLR would make me a target for NYPD in NYC. Compared to the top heavy Versys, the 09 makes lane splitting almost effortless in the parking lot that is Manhattan. The MPG gauge on the bike is showing 47.2 avg.
  10. crotchrocket3000

crotchrocket3000 b00b

Oddometer:
    Strange because my MT doesn't have ABS, neither do 90% of the other owners on the mt forum.
  11. mcmann

Oddometer:
  12. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now it's a pretty decent sport touring bike. ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. ADVwanaB

ADVwanaB BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer:
    I think I would be pretty pissed if I bought a custom seat and had to add a pad to it as well. what's the story with that? I am holding out to see what everyone thinks of the aftermarket seats before I go and spend money needlessly. What kind of seat is it and what do you not like about it?
  14. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought this seat used on eBay for pretty cheap, from a triumph dealer that took an FZ in on trade, not sure why they sold off the custom seat from the bike. They said the owner was a huge guy which is reflected in the design of the seat with widened dished area and added padding. It works pretty well but since my ass is not that big the edges cut into the bottom of my upper thighs a bit on longer rides. Still no matter what the seat and in varying weather conditions from hot to cold for me nothing beats the combo of a very slightly blown up air hawk pad topped with an aerostich sheepskin pad. The dish of this seat end up fitting this combo quite well and the whole setup is a dream couch on longer rides. The seat is now no longer a part on this bike that would hold me back from big miles it just highlights how annoying it is to stop for gas every 140miles or so as I don't really need a break anymore that quickly.
  15. mcmann

Oddometer:
    Can you post a video of the Akra pipe sound . . . I bet it sounds great at about 8,000 RPM!

I had to put a ATV seat pad over my Seat Concepts Super Enduro seat . . . They ran a seam on the outside edge that was very uncomfortable when wearing jeans. Heavy riding pants were OK. Seams need to be wrapped around the edge so it does not dig into your leg..

That is one Big Tank Bag!
  16. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Fox, the best part about the bike being a Sport Touring model, now, is that you don't have to endure the typical sport crouch and cramped leg position to enjoy a bike that handles like a sport bike. Basically a mini Multistrada. Looks good...If I could have gotten a better insurance rate, I would have one now, but the Concours 14 was $1500 less and almost a thousand less on annual insurance. Hopefully some day... tp
  17. BigBoPeep

BigBoPeep The Bad Stenographer

Oddometer:
    Try State Farm. I was really torn between the Conc and the FZ, and SF quoted pretty much the same for both, which was not very much at all. Geico quoted me $1600 for the FZ. Hahahahahaha. Geico.
  18. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    That's strange about the insurance rates. My friend, who got one, got the best deal from GEICO, $570, for the Houston area, is LOW. State Farm wanted $1400 here, for me. If Yami makes a S/T version, maybe the rates will go down. Hopefully will lose its hooliganism, without actually losing it.
  19. motorock

motorock Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah insurance.
    GEICO was giving me some crazy $4k- my first bike in the US.
    Dairyland gave me about 1400-hopefully will go down soon.
    The fact that the FZ is above 600cc and is considered "sportsbike" makes a difference. But of all the providers, GEICO was ridiculous!
  20. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you guys should give American Modern a call amig.com
    This is my cost for the year.
    Image00001.jpg