The Official Garmin 62, 64 and 78 Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Emmbeedee, Sep 7, 2010.

1. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your thinking of getting the 62, at least go with the 62s, which takes microSD cards.

daryl
  2. nickgindy

nickgindy Lover of the KLR

Oddometer:
    Ours opened last week. I'm going to check them out today. I don't think they are linked in with the interwebs inventory yet.
  3. Jon_Garfio

Jon_Garfio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I´m very glad with my 62s, I use it for all, moto on and offroad, trecking, ski mountain, by car, walk.
    I buyed a RAM-Mount to fit on my GSA and works fine.

It be charged :
    TopoHispania
    TopoPirineos
    City Navigator Europe NT 2012.40

[​IMG]
  4. speedysheep

speedysheep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an issue with my 78. Whenever I load new waypoints or tracks in Basecamp, waypoints and tracks that were already on the unit seem to disappear. I can still see them in basecamp, but not on the unit itself.

As an example, I loaded a set of waypoints for an upcoming backpacking trip onto the unit. I was able to navigate to them, no problem. I decided to go back in and add one more, and now all the old ones are gone. I can see them in basecamp, but they don't show up in the menus on the device.

Any ideas?
  5. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    if it's anything like the 60/76, you can sort waypoints "by nearest" which will only display the ones within some radius it decides, or "by name" which will display all of them alphabetically.
  6. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    It's not. The 62/78/Montana/Oregon etc display tracks, waypoints and routes by proximity only, unless you do a search. So the list always shows the nearest to you first. You can't list them alphabetically.

That's one of the things people don't like about the new generation of Garmin gps.

They can however be sorted by symbol, so if SS gives them a special symbol, it might make them easier to list. But you can't save that list type - it always reverts to proximity.

I have no idea why the waypoints would disappear, unless they've just gone off the current screen for SpeedySheep.
  7. speedysheep

speedysheep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has nothing to do with sorting. They're all gone but the last one I loaded.
  8. nickgindy

nickgindy Lover of the KLR

Oddometer:
    Anyone else have any issue with the gps62 crashing at the active route screen?
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Well I think your issue is more Basecamp, than 78. I don't use Basecamp enough to know the answer, but if you ask the same question in the Garmin forums, the developers of the program could help you.
  10. Quassi

Quassi keep on...

Oddometer:
    I use a 62st with NorthAmerica 2012_20 maps installed. I've previously used BaseCamp to plan routes/manage tracks, etc.

Now when I connect my 62st to the PC, I can't "see" the map. It does not come up as an option in the "View" map menu.

Any assitance is appreciated!

--Q
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    GPSMAP 62/78 software version 4.03 Beta

as of May 18, 2012
    Download (4.48 MB)

View installation instructions and system requirements
    Notes:

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History
    Changes made from version 3.90 to 4.03:

Added new route activity types
    Added support for Kenwood NMEA Waypoint Sentence
    Improved GPS response at low speeds
    Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from Basecamp (identical maps required)
    Fixed Spell Search in German
    Problems with this beta software may be reported to 62-78Beta@garmin.com

Yeehaw! This feature is especially important: "Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from Basecamp (identical maps required)". Now when you painstakingly create routes in Basecamp, they aren't discarded and recalculated by the gps when you try to navigate them.
  12. mazman808

mazman808 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys,
    Just bought a gpsmap 62, the base model.
    I use the free shonky maps for my other garmin gps(nuvi500), but how would i install the shonky map onto my gps62?
    It has no sd card, so im assuming you would copy/paste the shonky maps file folder to the garmins folder somewhere? so its in the internall memory? obviously the gps connected via usb.

Reason i ask, i made a track on mapsource(tried basecamp as well) using full shonky map topo and sent the track file to my gps62, it transfered fine and when i went into the 62's file i found the track, clicked view it on map and all that showed up was the track but on the very base map that came with the unit, i dont see the shonky map details on the unit or when viewing the track i made.

Please help
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    As you noticed, the 62 does not have maps built in, aside from the useless Basemap. If you're using Mapsource, load the Shonkymaps to the gps. If you're using BaseCamp, you'll want to run MapInstall to load the maps.

If you already have an img file of the Shonkymaps on another device, you could likely just copy that through the computer to the 62.
  14. mazman808

mazman808 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers for the help, i figured it out.
    What i did was... in mapsource, i clicked the shonky map full topo to show on the map, i then used a map tool to highlight the whole of Australia then clicked send to device, click the tab "map" and press ok.

It then sent about 300mb+ worth of maps to the gps unit.
    Checked it on my gps unit and its all there, now when i view my track i made i can see the shonky mapping as well, woohoo :)
    Getting the hang of it, love the tracking feature that my nuvi500 couldnt do, no cluttering of flags etc...

cheers again.
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    New Software for the 62/78 Series:

Changes from version 3.90 to version 4.20:

Added new route activity types and improved BaseCamp compatibility. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/05/get-active-with-garmin.html) for more information.
    Added ability to sort waypoints alphabetically < I don't think this works - at least I can't find it on my 62 which is now at version 4.20
    Added support for Kenwood NMEA Waypoint Sentence
    Improved GPS response at low speeds
    Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from BaseCamp (identical maps required)
    Fixed issue where the map would sometimes not refresh when using the active route page
    Fixed issue with the Glide Ratio data field
    Fixed Spell Search in German
    Fixed possible issue with Where To? > Address searching

Use Garmin's WebUpdater or http://Garmin.com/mydashboard to get the update.
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    New Software for the 62/78 Series:

* Added ability to sort waypoints alphabetically

There's a new version out yesterday, 4.30, and this now allows you to sort waypoints

Use WebUpdater to get the new software.
  18. jonsom

jonsom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received my 3rd one from Garmin. Hope this one last's more than a year.
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    What's happening to it? Most likely the usb connector, but wondering anyway...
  20. skeelo221

skeelo221 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So this seems to mostly ease my concern I also had about the auto-recalc. I read this entire thread and I'm surprised no one addressed this issue even though it was asked a few times. I borrowed a friends 76 last week for a dual sport ride and I had some routes loaded to it. The auto-recalc drove me INSANE! If I spent the time making the route I don't want the GPS thinking for me. I found out after the ride that you can disable it. :norton All I want is it to display a route with my location. If I make a wrong turn I don't want it to change the route for me automatically!
    So, on the 78 if you are navigating to say a single waypoint is there a way to turn off auto-recalc as well??

I really wish the Oregon had a 4-pin I'd probably get that over the 78. And I find it hard to justify the price of the Montana. Going to REI today to play with them all though but I am thinking of going with the base model 78

Attached Files: