Buying advise

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mntbighker, Jul 22, 2009.

1. mntbighker

mntbighker n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm contemplating a purchase of either a new or slightly used GS1200. I was hoping to field some opinions about a few things. What is public opinion on the relative value of a 2008 model bought new while 2009 models are available? How much of a hit should the dealer be taking? Am I wrong to assume that the buyer takes a hit in resale right out of the gate with the purchase of a last years model? Should I be looking at more depressed areas for better pricing or is the dealer price latitude pretty small? How does BMW financing compare to others? Has anyone heard if BMW has talked about the changes coming in the 2010 model? I have decided against ESA. I want cross spoke rims but it bothers me the current models are black. I much prefer the silver and I have also been looking at slightly used models for this and other reasons. Cross spoke models are scarce unless you look at the Adventure so I have been looking at those. My local dealer has a 2008 Adv in stock. What is the public opinion of the factory hard bags vs various aftermarket options? My plan was to use the accessory credit to buy the hard bags and on the 2008 Adv model they are offering the top case free with the side cases. This seems like a pretty small give back for a last years model. How many GS owners install steering dampers?

I really appreciate any advise I can get. This is my first BMW purchase. I have owned many motorcycles.
  2. rotax07

rotax07 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I had 2500.00 knocked off my 07 GSA when I bought it in 08 though it's hard to say because I also traded my 05 LT in.
  3. PapaSmurf

PapaSmurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got $1500 off my 2008 GS Low in June of 08. Another dealer has an 08 Low right now at $2000 off. I would also go with aftermarket bags. Lots to choose form. Unless the dealer blows you away with a price. Mine offered 20% off the Varios. I have read too many problems with them. Went with after market ones form Twisted Throttle. Tom :norton
  4. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    If you buy one with black spokes and want the silver, I have a brand new set of silver spokes I'll trade you for yours. I have black spokes on my black 12GS and prefer them.:ear :deal
  5. mntbighker

mntbighker n00b

Oddometer:
    Actually it's the silver rims I prefer. I didn't even know there were black spokes available. The dealer told me BMW is having a bitch of a time sourcing the parts to build the spoked rims. So the Adventure is practically the only bike you can find with a spoked rim these days. But the rim is black and I just hope it isn't as hard to keep from looking like crap as I anticipate. Since I just pulled the trigger this morning :rofl Picking it up Saturday.
  6. marty hill

Oddometer:
    Are you saying you want the silver non-spoked wheels? Cuz if you want silver spokes and have black spokes coming, I'll trade you.:ear
  7. mntbighker

mntbighker n00b

Oddometer:
    Nope, silver spoke and silver rims. The Adventure comes with silver spokes and black (presumably painted and whose genius idea was that) rims. I prefer all silver like the standard GS comes with but of course there none of those left anywhere since BMW can barely manage to build them now.
  8. marty hill

Oddometer:
    Guess I've been saying this wrong. I have a new 12 GS sitting at a dealer that has silver spokes and silver wheels. If you are buying a GSA with silver spokes and black wheels and wish to trade...let's do it. I'm going to pm my phone number to you.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    The rims on the Adv are anodized black, and the spokes stainless. The GS (Sport) has clear alloy rims and stainless spokes, or silver alloy only (cast) wheels.

Jim :brow