Garmin VIRB Elite Camera/GPS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Emmbeedee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
  2. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Nice I like the graph.
    Looks good.

Fred
  3. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last update broke the volume slider in VE, so I've been using the computer's volume control. :cry

My remote is still working peachy though. :clap :freaky
  4. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear your remote is behaving itself. All three of our Virbs were completely reliable on our trip to Newfoundland. I can't remember the last time one of our cameras locked up.

I have had some loss of gps data in some of my videos, but I don't need gauges all the time in my videos anyway. I'm working with Garmin to see if this one camera needs repair, but we haven't figured it out yet. Might even be my Scala intercom interfering.

:dunno (yet)
  5. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    Haven't had my VIRB long, but I have found that the VIRB Elite uses the battery faster than the Montana can recharge it. I need 1 spare fully charged battery at the start of a ride (usually about 8-10 hours).

I only have one 32GB card for the VIRB and it usually is full before the end of the ride, and I then have 1 dead and 2 partially charged batteries. My 12V supply to the GPS is switched via the ignition, so I can't recharge if I'm not riding. I'd need access to 120V.

Would expect the battery charge/discharge times to vary considerably between users, depending on how much the VIRB is used and the screen backlight setting on the Montana (assuming the Montana has a fixed output 5V supply/charger).
  6. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ended up buying two more batteries, so I have 3 in rotation.
  7. mait

mait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was on a 5 day trip in the end of August.
    I had a 12000mAh battery pack with 4 USB outputs (from 0.5 to 2.1A) with me. that was hooked to 12V socket all day long while I was riding. Normally I got it topped up to 80 - 100% by evening. That was enough to recharge simultaneously Virb Elite, Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini phone, Nokia N8 phone and Sena SMH10 during nights. By morning there was still ca 25% remaining in the battery pack.

When I ran out of Virb battery I replaced it with Montana battery from my friends bike and that was enough to complete the day's ride. I did not record all the time of course, maybe 4-5 hours per day in total. And even so I have too much raw material of 5 days to watch through, edit and produce :D
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    This is really very dependent on temperature. If it's a cool, overcast day, my Montana can charge as fast as the Virb uses the battery. But it usually doesn't quite keep up so I have two spare batteries.
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:

2.7.0 has had the map problem fixed so I'd download it now.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  10. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to add music to a Virb video.

Here's the rub.
    I want music for the first 45 seconds with no sound from the Virb recording.
    The next minute no music, the soundtrack from the Virb recording.
    The remaining 2 minutes back to music with no sound from the Virb recoding.

Is this possible with Virb edit, or is this something for a more sophisticated video editing tool.
  11. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Probably no help but... I think you have to split the video to do that.

I use Virb Edit but PS CS6 also so I get easily confused...

Fred
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Not really possible with the current versions of VE. You would pretty much need to build your (45 second music - 1 minute no music - 2 minute music) soundtrack to the right length outside of VE and import as one song. VE does not allow you to trim music in the program or change its volume partway through a song. It won't even let you choose exactly when to start the song. It starts at the beginning of the video.

Your video could be split into the three separate parts with appropriate volume for each part, but it's really a cumbersome solution.

Might be better just exporting each part as a separate movie, recombining them and adding the music in another program.
  13. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roger.
    Thanks for the tips

14. JohnMcL7

JohnMcL7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I fully agree with the post above (as always), I find Virb Edit is good for preparing the clips (adding GPS and similar) and then I use the consumer version of Sony Vegas on Windows to make the various cuts, add music, text etc.

John
  15. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:
    Quick question for the Experts!

The self timer is set at two seconds. How do you use the remote to start taking pictures every 2 seconds? How do you stop it?
  16. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tonight I was looking at suitable mounting locations... not finding many great spots that eliminate my windscreen when mounted form the bars via RAM components.

Was thinking of these as possible options - any thoughts?
    ~ the flat adhesive base adhered to the fork tube reflector ... will it really hold?
    ~ the flat base adhered to the brake fluid reservoir cap (lots of small raised lettering so its not a true 'flat' surface. This will require a few extension pieces so I can clear the windscreen edge in the video field

No video to post yet as I've only tested it walking and shooting pics. Montana connection works great.
  17. nevermind

Oddometer:
    I've tried spots all over the bars on my single cylinder KTM. I've used dynamat on the extensions and on the mount. The video while running is pretty shakey. I guess it depends on the bike and how smooth the motor is.
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the self timer repeat mode does not respond as you might expect from the remote. The remote just tells it to take a picture.

As far as I'm concerned, this should be considered a bug.

To start the self timer and the repeat mode of the self timer, must be done via the photo button on the camera right now.
  19. nevermind

Oddometer:
    Bummer! Will the Virb still take video while in repeat mode of the self timer?
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't trust the adhesive in either of those modes.

This is what I did for a fork mount.

[​IMG]

You'll have to imagine the camera on the fork... :lol3

[​IMG]