Rider Identification card

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by TorontoDude, Mar 6, 2012.

1. TorontoDude

TorontoDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I created this little template for myself. I got it laminated with heavy plastic. One goes around my neck, the other under my seat. The goal is to have something about the size of a credit card.

Its mostly for piece of mind, and really, if die or become unresponsive. I only ride offroad about 20% of the time. So this is mostly intended for EMS/First Responder.

[​IMG]

Template is a word document available here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8PFExDgLrj5RkFGemZFNVNTRENLT0tsWHpkbmdFdw/edit?pli=1
  2. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Great idea. +1

I think there is a guy in vendors that sells a little waterproof orange tube for this kind of thing, and then you zip tie it to your jacket, keys or tankbag. He gets a couple bucks for them, they would go well with your deal.

Pretty important in a group ride or trip, we all think we know who we are riding with, but do you know his or her meds, allergies, past medical or emergency contacts in the event of a crash?

So, again, great idea.
  3. DNF

DNF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. sparkymcgee

sparkymcgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the ResQTag hanging on my zipper pull to my jacket. I like your version too. Thanks for making it available!

How do I find out my blood type? I read somewhere that listing it doesn't matter since they always test it before doing transfusions anyway. Can anyone verify that?
  5. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one on the left side (under the ear) of the helmet. Has the same information, its is a mandatory thing to attach to the helmet for every trackday rider and its visible, so any first responder would spot it right away on the helmet.

Looks similar to this:
    http://www.scooterdave.com/?p=32

[​IMG]
  6. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most of that info is pretty useless.

They will find a good chunk of it on your license.

And stuff like blood type is disregarded by emergency personnel. The test for blood type is super quick and they will administer it even if your note already states your blood type. They will _never_ go just by the note.

As for insurance companies, who cares? It's the hospital's problem and they are very good at tracking down this info.

I would just leave emergency contacts and allergies.
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:

Correct !
    I don't even keep up with tetanus shots anymore. If you show up in an ER, they're gonna give you one anyway.
  8. JDK111

JDK111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you traveled outside of North America much?
  9. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where do you live? Other than name and address none of that is on my license. My brother-in-law, who is an EMT, says they check wrists first to find out blood type and drug allergies. He said they have no desire to harm or kill an unconscious person if information is available.
  10. cardoctor1

cardoctor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    has anyone looked into ordering civilian dog tags . seem pretty indestructible.
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    i could not get all my data on a dog tag.

Phone numbers, meds, allergies, and all the wives names

and the girlfriend.

I'm thinking the printed data in a waterproof thingy on the jacket zipper pull or keychain.
  12. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    I have the Canadian dog tags, there's enough information that I can be identified by the closest embassy or consulate almost instantaneously, mind you I don't particularly care for them to have to do that service, thanks anyway. :lol3
  13. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2011, I've ridden half dozen African countries and then spent 6 months riding in India and Thailand. While my comment was made in the USA context, it doesn't change much at all in international context. Do you think that a hospital in Mozambique will give a sh*t that someone has their Blue Cross card? Nope. They want your credit card or cash.

Allergies and emergency contact are the only two pieces of info that actually do something. Even with allergies, docs will not give people drugs that can potentially result in critical allergic reactions. They will use alternatives first or test if you are allergic. It's not like people are dying from drugs they are allergic to in hospitals. Maybe there is some risk, maybe it happens more than I think, but if you put it in perspective, it's a minute risk, particularly in the context of someone riding developing countries.

They check for allergies, not for blood type. They would never ever ever use this information to give you blood. Ever. I read that even on a war battle field, you may be bleeding out, have your dog tag with blood type, and they will still run the quick and instant blood type test. The risk of not checking is simply too great.
  14. TorontoDude

TorontoDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my travels are mostly in Canada and the USA, so i'm not that concerned about Africa.

As mentioned, they card cost me $4.75 to make (for heavy lamination). Pretty cheap. If it ever gets used or not, so what. It's there and might just help me out down the road.

the insurance information is mostly to deal with the appalling health "system" in the US. Not much of a concern in Canada.

use the template if it works for you and enjoy the ride.
  15. JDK111

JDK111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not trying to be a smart ass .... but are you a medial professional?
  16. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I carry a copy of my passport under my seat with my registration and insurance for when I travel to Canada. It also comes handy if some scumbag steals your wallet while you are laying there in the states.

It is a good idea for those cards when you have medical conditions. It could save your life. I'd like to say all emergency personal do everything right, but we all know that isn't true.
  17. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no known alergies and my blood type is O-

Is that useful information to leave on a card for the first responders?

I keep emergency contact info on a USB drive hanging around my neck, sure its not much good in Zimbabwe or Amish country, I'll make sure I get something else before travelling there.
  18. jasoomian

jasoomian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the RoadId. Strapped like a watch to my left wrist, underneath my jacket, no chance it gets ripped off or goes unseen in case of a crash.
  19. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    I asked my doctor about the blood type thing and he said don't bother, they will type your blood quickly and easily if needed and even if you told them, they would type it anyway just to be sure. Not like a first responder will be carrying quantities of various blood types with them anyway. Their job is to stop or slow the bleeding and stabilize you for transport to a hospital.

The info that he said would be the most useful is: Date of birth, known drug allergies or medical conditions, a list of any medications you are currently taking, if any and emergency contact info. Make sure your emergency contact has been briefed in the event they get a call. Ie, medical insurance info, next of kin, what your wishes may be etc. They will be your ambassador and may need to make some decisions on your behalf. So don't just use any name and not tell them that they are your emergency contact.

Seemed to make sense to me.
  20. DNF

DNF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only the hospital cares about blood type unless your medics are flying you via helo then you might see some blood.
    Drug allergies are what we need plus any relevant med hx. Contact info is nice but once again only the hospital cares ultimately. It allows us medics to fill out more paperwork.