WF09 Routes, Tracks and riding info.

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by Hair, Dec 22, 2008.

1. wadventure

wadventure Mellow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Taylor and Pearl are fun on the right bikes. To be honest, I would expect damage if you rode it on the Strom. Portions of Pearl are loose, steepish scree. Steep enough that if you stop it is hard to get going, with full knobs!

I did a test ride today on my new 990 and I am working up a long large DS route. I'm thinking of something like:
    Hayden, (one more in between, the name is escaping me), Old Monarch, Waunita, Black Sage, Cumberland. From here either return over Tincup, or if it is early in the day consider Ohio, Kebler and back over Hagerman (this makes a long ambitious route - but all doable on the Vee.)

A good route for you and your sons might be a loop around Tincup, Cumberland and Hancock. Tincup and Hancock are rocky and steepish, but much more doable than Taylor and Pearl.

Good Luck wherever you head.

2. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    I've seen Wadenture ride his 640 up Hancock from the west side to the east. It takes some great riding to do that.

As far as the strom goes. I think that clearance is as big of an issue as anything. I've ridden with some large VStroms. That bike went over some really tuff stuff. But I would never take it on hancock.
  3. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    hancock is a mess, I have seen a 12gs go up it. He he did drop it thought :D

I've taken a KLR up it, you need focus but it is very doable. On that same tip though I've seen some guys on 450's struggle tring to get up it. So it really comes down to skill.

here's the guys on the small bikes working it. And to think they laughed at me on a KLR trying it. [​IMG]

here is a close up of the terrian, this guy was on a klr as well and we both cleaned this pass, but came down to help others up.
    [​IMG]

some times people just need some help

[​IMG]

and even then there just so much you can do

[​IMG]
  4. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    That looks like Schofield Pass...? :scratch

Anyway, here is a file that has lots of the passes in it, plus the route I rode in CO last year. Lots of it will be good stuff for WF.

Attached Files:

5. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected :deal thanks for the map that helps out alot. I didn't think Hancock was as bad as Schofield, But I came up from the south end which may have been a little easier.

edit: after zooming out it apears that I came in from the west sidebut the pass truns north there for a while
  6. wadventure

Oddometer:
    Yeah, didn't look like what I remembered on Hancock (and haven't ridden Schofield), but for those of you thinking of these high passes, those pictures are on the order of Pearl Pass difficulty (or the top of Black Bear). Hancock isn't that rough looking (or riding!)

Thanks for playing name that pass gaspipe!

7. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef

Oddometer:
  8. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    If you want to join the American Flag Mountain ride, please see this tread, even if you've already asked to join the ride in this thread or in the main WF thread.

Thanks
  9. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    I posted this in the West Fest thread but thought I'd add it here:

OK, YFFF! (You Flatlander FF's)

Bonnie Abbzug and I went out and did some reconnaissance for ya. It was a real chore, let me tell you. :D

So here's an attachment with a dirt/gravel route from Canon City, Colorado, to Buena Vista (just a few miles south of the Official West Fest campground).

This is 103 miles of gravel roads and dirt two-track, with very little pavement. The pavement that was neccessary (only a few miles) is all pretty nice, too. You go from red-rock canyon desert-like areas, up into aspen trees. The route gets you up high soon after Canon City so you get out of the heat. :thumb Much better than the pavement route, IMHO. This way as soon as you get to the mountains, you can get off of the pavement! :thumb

I would have no hesitation taking a loaded V-strom fitted with tourances on this route. Hell I'd throw Bonnie on the back of there for traction, too, but that's just me. :D There are a few spots you would need to pay attention, but a big bike is fine for this.

The route goes through some very scenic and remote country and there is no fuel, so gas up in Canon city. There is one waypoint for the tiny little store/restaurant in Guffey if you need to stop for food.

There is also one waypoint where the route crosses Hwy 285. At this point you could bail out and slab it into town. The next section has a very short steep downhill and a couple of short stretches of sand-wash- about 1/2 mile total. Also one small stream crossing. If you just loathe sand (:rolleyes :lol3 ) you could bail down 285, but let it be known you'll be missing a really fun section with the most amazing views all day. Don't say I didn't tell ya. :D

This route is a little bit circuitous- you may notice more direct routes along the way. I gave priority to the fun roads, scenery, and avoided some of the more populated areas. You won't see many people on this...

One more thing: You may or may not come across some closed gates or barbed wire gates. This route is entirely open, public roads, so if you come to a closed gate go on through, and just close the gate behind you. :thumb

This route took us about 4 hours from Canon to BV, but we were definitely smelling the roses and did couple of backtracks to find routes. I'd give yourself 3-4 hours.

Some pics from the ride. Don't look if you want to be suprised. :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope someone takes this route! It beats hell out of riding pavement to BV. :nod

Attached Files:

10. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm fairly new to dirt. I will be bringing the GS1150 and my TW200. The GS for some of the paved and graded passes and the TW for the two track. I've ridden the TW in Death Valley and half of the Rubicon from the Tahoe side. Will the TW be to slow and under powered for most of these rides? Will there be Noob rides or patient ride leaders?
  11. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    Sunday I want to do Pearl and Taylor Pass. Here's the route; Cottonwood Pass, 748, Grassy Tr, Hunter Hill Tr, Brush Creek Tr, Pearl Pass, Ashcroft, Taylor Pass, home. I haven't done either pass. I have done the other trails and they include single track, water crossings, rocks, hillclimbs, and exposure. I'm looking for a very small group of experienced riders, 4 max. You'll need a big tank.

Click here for more info and to join
  12. wadventure

Oddometer:
    Plan to refill in Aspen and CB and you'll be fine. Have fun! Be careful.

13. wadventure

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on a large DS ride for Friday.

Here is the rough route. It's around 250 miles.

Leave early to make sure we can get back at a reasonable time.

Either start over Weston, or head straight for Hayden Pass.
    From Hayden up the Marshall Pass railroad grade. Gas up in Sargents.
    Scoot back up Monarch and ride old Monarch.
    Head down and catch Waunita, and Black Sage.
    Head north over Cumberland to the town of Tincup.
    If we have time we can head up to Mirror lake and take a look at the bottom of Tincup Pass. (I'm not up to Tincup on the 990, so turn around there.)
    From here, we'll probably head back over Cottonwood.

If it's early in the day (which I doubt), we can consider Ohio and Kebler, with a return over Hagerman, which adds ALOT of miles. But, I doubt we'll be moving quite this fast.

I'm camped in a Balboa toy hauler in the RV sites. Feel free to stop by. Otherwise, whoever wants to go, try to be there by 730 AM Friday.

There is an attached gpx. Subject to change as I have free time! But, in the end, we'll be doing some riding.

See you then,
    Wadventure (Wade)

Attached Files:

14. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Did you know you can leave Aspen and ride right up the ski slope under the ski lift cars? I was led down and back up it long ago, unforgettable. :thumb
    I'm not sure how I will handle the altitude this year so am taking it easy, have fun!
    You have to pay a fee to see Ashcroft. :nah
  15. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    How do I find the ski lift run? Do you know what the fee at Ashcroft is? And what's if for?
  16. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    It's only $3. :lol3 They must have a drop box, says you can do self guided tours anytime.

http://www.heritageaspen.org/ac.html

From Taylor Lake looks like NNW towards Aspen, roughly parallel to Castle Creek but a mile or more east. It's real easy to see in roads and rec. Stick these coordinates together

N39 01.241 W106 45.262

N39 02.400 W106 44.829

N39 04.277 W106 46.006

N39 06.392 W106 48.505

N39 09.067 W106 49.122

N39 11.065 W106 49.603
  17. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that route looks great
  18. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    I have been on the Hagerman out of Leadville. Are you going all the way to Aspen?
  19. wadventure

Oddometer:
    Wasn't planning on it. I doubt that there will be time to include Kebler, Ohio and Hagerman. To include those would make an extremely long day with no time for sight seeing or sitting still. The route bypasses Aspen, so we wouldn't be going through there (little thing called the Maroon Bells in the way of going through Aspen!).

If you decide to join us, I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride.

20. Pablo83

Oddometer: