Help Bones pick a 2up/ADV bike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by 30Bones, Nov 6, 2012.

1. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well now that I am bikeless and married I am window shopping/rambling for a steed. Mrs. Bones has expressed interest in riding pillion and I try to reiterate over and over. "I am not talking around town, I am talking weekend getaways or day trips someplace. If you are not interested I will just buy another dual sport on the cheap and use it as MY getaway bike". I have owned VFRs, Sprint, Bandit, Sportster for touring and KLR, KTM, Husky for 600cc class singles.

I am all over the board and know what I need and that is reliable (so big 3 Japanese manufacturers are getting the nods), parts readily available, home serviceable by a hobbyist that probably should not have as many tools as he does. Pretty much a rock solid, simple bike with the ability to sport 3 pieces of luggage.

New or used (let's say a lofty 12K budget or less), so that means carb or EFI is doable. I have owned both and they have their +/-'s.

In the new market I am hard pressed to not look past the Vstrom 1000 in ADV trim or Super Tenere. While the Tenere may be above my budget I am optimistic a used sorted out one will pop up within a year or so. Hard pressed to see me go down anything but gravel or a dry low maintenance road on any bike I am talking about here, which most are able, some far more than others. :1drink

KTM950/990 ADV or a GS might take me beyond some of my needs as far as parts availability and servicing myself since dealers are farther away, I would need to learn a lot more than oil changes and lubing parts.

Used ST1100/1300 are also on the radar for good reasons. Local stealer has a leftover 1300 for $13,500

FJR and Connie are dull like the ST, but damn fine bikes. All would be silly to take off blacktop which would frustrate me on solo rides.

Honda NT700???? :lurk

Another Bandit 1250 is hard to look past for price and that motor :huh
  2. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Versys 1000 went to Canada last year, if the precedent set by the 650 holds, it will be here for 2013, probably around your budget. That motor is incredible.

Otherwise, I've been happy with my Yamaha and would lean toward the Tenere.
  3. DannyZRC

DannyZRC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    boxers aren't really parts hungry, just labor to take things apart to lube/adjust and put back together.

pre-camhead don't even have shims for the valves, screw&locknut and the valve covers are _right_freaking_there_
  4. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    I thought there was a BMW dealer in Iowa City. That's only 30 miles away from Marion.
  5. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is, it also comes with a price tag. I have never had a bike in for dealer work unless it was warranty. Then again I have never had any major issues with any bike I've ever owned. I'd buy a GS if the price was right and there are a ton on the market right now.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not a fan but I'd go test ride the BM...Husky 650 with my passenger. My dealer was trying to get me to ride his the other day. For what it is, it is probably the best 2 up street single offered just in terma of size and ergos for 2 people. I sat on it with my son on the back. I'm 6-01, 210 and he is 5-10, 225. Lots of room.

The KTM Adv was an awesome 2 up bike, and don't fear the wrenching. It is intimidating at first but it was engineered to be worked on.
  7. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Go rent a Harley, Gold Wing or similar (or not :lol3) and take a nice ride with her where she can get comfortable with the physical as well as the psychological aspects of riding. If she is wanting to continue, go shopping and test ride together if you intend this to really be a 2up long distance pick. There are a ton of great buys out there, but it will be wasted $ and more importantly a lost opportunity to get her hooked into the enjoyment of riding if you choose based on anyone's arse being happy other than her's :evil

My SWMBO used to ride with me all the time and if she still would, it would absolutely dictate what my next bike would be as it was a whole different and positive aspect to my motorcycle travels that I am glad we shared.

Best of luck!
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There are slightly used Yamaha SuperTenere, nicely farkled that get posted from time to time on the SuperTen forum for around $11500 to $12K range. Bike has abs, traction control, tubeless spoked wheels and a very nice torquey engine, reliable shaft drive.. and a reliable bike all around.. The bike is restricted in the first 3 gears, but there's a 20 second and 50 cent mod to unleash it! :D
  9. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife said the back of the Moto Guzzi California was better than the BMW's we had owned. They are funky looking, handle in the curves as good as lots of machines, super simple to check valves and live with. Never left us down with numerous cross country travels, and used ones are very reasonable.
  10. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I wanted long before I even had to consider a passenger.

Also she will not be riding all the time. I'd be surprised if 50% of my riding will be 2up. Which is why a Vstrom ADV, KTM ADV or Tenere are at the top of my list in no particular order other than the Tenere is my first choice. :freaky
  11. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are going to be doing a lot of riding with a passenger, a Goldwing is the ONLY way to go, other than a Harley ElectraGlide. I have never been able to carry a passenger on anything else for more than a few miles. But then I weigh 240 pounds by myself. My EX wife would not go near a motorcycle, but my youngest daughter loves to ride with me on the Goldwing. She and I combined almost meet the bikes max load capacity. We are over the load capacity of most other bikes. You can get a really nice 1500 Goldwing for $6500 and up. You can get early 1800s for $12000, but I prefer the 1500 for comfort, and since they were made for 12 years, parts are still pretty easy to find. But they are definitely NOT an off road bike, and if you are used to bikes like the KLR, it will feel like you are driving a 2 wheeled car (which you pretty much are)
  12. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Goldwing is out until I retire :deal

Also forgot to mention the Triumph 955 or 1050 Tiger. Lots of deals on those and I miss my 1050 Sprint dearly.
  13. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I say wait and see the new bikes Honda will be unveiling next week. As for bikes we already know about, Like the Super Tenere idea. Perhaps a Buell Ullyses?
  14. DannyZRC

DannyZRC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sold my '05 R1200GS last mayish, and been bikeless since.

Super Ten was on the top of my shortlist, but they're too new to get much of a discount on the used market.

So I bought an '08 R1200GS Adv, and I'm very glad I did. I didn't think I would care about the extra wind protection, but it's very nice, and the big gas tank is a really great perk. The ESA isn't half bad either. The S10 is nice, but I'm glad I didn't go with it.
  15. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

Your comment about 50% of your time not being 2up, what you want etc., but that still leaves half the time with her. JMO, (and you did ask), but either look seriously what will accommodate her or just buy what you want and stop pretending "I bought it for us". I don't know you or your new wife and you may have a ton of riding hours and miles together so this is mute or she ultimately may not like anything more than a short spin and then it won't matter, but putting her on a 2X4 seat with terrible ergonomics and limiting luggage ,etc., etc will not be a good plan "A" and including her input to the choice will be much betterer for many reasons. Get an old touring bike for 2-3 grand and then buy a great off roader for your "me" time/rides/:freaky

My advice is worth what you paid for it,

Good Luck and safe travels.
  16. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    My suggestions come used and in pairs:

Leaning towards 2-up and road use:

Cheap / quality tourer and a premium dual-sport = V-Strom 650/1000 + 690 Enduro

leaning towards solo and some rough-roads or mild trails:

lux tourer and a capable but inexpensive dual-sport = R1200GS + DR650

You can do either pair nicely for your budget, without giving up much. 1 bike can't do it all AND do it well

If 1 bike had to do it all, I'd be shopping R1200GS, 990 Adventure, and Tiger 800 XC
  17. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    Versys is my obvious choice. Its so damn much fun to ride, the missus will be comfy on back if she's sized like mine, 5'7 120. Off road, a couple of suspension tweaks will make it perform wonderfully. And its a hoot on the blacktop when your by yourself.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
  18. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I honestly have no idea how much she will like riding as she was never on any of my past scoots. I don't think 2 side cases, a top case and a tank bag is limited luggage. I have traveled from anything from that to a backpack for a weekend. If cramming her stuff into 2.5 of the 3 cases to get her to accept this challenge I am up for it. Maybe I will find a dirt cheap ST1100 and see how it goes and if it tanks, sell/trade for another thumper and not be out much if anything. The fact is I want to still hit gravel if at all possible on any given trip I am on. It's just what I enjoy. I have well over 100K miles of riding under my belt and think I know what I want. That being a GS/Tenere/Strom/KTM type Adventure bike.....if it will suit a passenger in relative comfort even if we have to take breaks every 150 miles. I want to stop and smell the roses more than I have in the past and not focus on the destination.

The main reason I am taking her into consideration on this is I want her to enjoy these trips as I have traveled solo for the past 8+ years many on a bike and I only have room/desire for ONE bike. I have owned 2-5 bikes at one time in the past and flat out burned out on having too much "stuff".
  19. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get a used dirty farkled Tiger.
  20. Superzoom

Superzoom Been here awhile

Oddometer: