Would I miss my Zuma 125?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wannabe1, Sep 30, 2012.

1. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not really serious about doing away with my zuma 125, but every now and then I think about going maxi or semi maxi. As usual money is always an issue so I can't just go out and buy a t-max as I would like to do. The burgman's make my but look big so that pretty much leaves me with the silverwing. I am not really into the look of the vespas and piaggios. There seem to be a good supply of used silverwings around here $3500 - 4200. I would be selling/trading the zuma to get one. The problem is I love the little zuma 125.

The good - I love the way I can just yank this thing out of the garage and take off to work or the store without having to worry about dropping it or hitting the "other bike" in the garage.
    I love the fact that I can pop open the seat while stopped or while idling on the center stand.
    I love the flat floorboard for additional cargo space for items that won't go under the seat.
    I love the handling on the road and in a crowded parking lot.
    Love the 60-75 miles per gallon.
    Like the stares and comments of you are riding that little "moped" to work on these roads?
    Love the butchy style of the zuma.

The bad - 58mph top speed and the rough ride that such a short wheelbase scooter gives.
    The zuma has decent wind protection, but I imagine the swing would do a better job on winter mornings.
    Thats really all!

I think I would really like a scooter like the Kymco downtown 300 that offers the power/speed of a maxi and the handiness of a smaller scooter. The hump on the downtown seat seems to be exactly where I would want to sit so that looks like something I would have to changeor deal with.The only issue there is I could get a used t-max for the new kymco cost.
    The other option is a genuine blur 220i, in which I would keep the size I like, get the speed I crave, but lose the flat floor as the blur has a pretty signifacant step over center. I also ride with a windscreen on the zuma and the blur designed windscreen is notof that effective from the reviews I have seen.

Trips or getting out on the road aren't an issue as the "other bike" is a HD electra glide so the scoot is strictly for commuting and errand running. 2-up riding is a non factor also, the HD covers that base.
    My gut feeling is that the silverwing would be almost as cumbersome as the harley is in a crowded garage and I would soon tire of wrestling it out of the garage and be wishing for the zuma again!
  2. MQracing

MQracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You heart your Zuma and have a "big" bike for duties better suited for it.

I'd say stick with what you have. :deal
  3. lifer

lifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what you want to do with it, the silverwing will be heavy and clumsy. I would stay with the zuma. When you get into the larger scooters you lose some of the conveniece . The Downtown will even lose some of that scooter feel but it would probably be tolerable. You could look for a used Reflex or go with another honda 250 like a helix or an elite. Those will get you to about 75 mph and give you more weather protection.
  4. elite1

elite1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just what I would have said. Saved me the typing.....
  5. redhandmoto

redhandmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, Man, don't do it! I miss my Z125 every single day.

Performance not quite there for you? See the guys over on zumaforums.net, particularly Chris of Race Concepts; good people, good components.
  6. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the Silverwing. It will go around town AND you might enjoy touring. I had a Harley, rather ride my Wing on long trips.
  7. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do a shock upgrade. You can really smooth out the ride.
  8. kyhillbilly

kyhillbilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I miss mine sometimes. I traded for a 250cc morphous and while its really a better bike all around I do miss the z125 for joy riding. The morph is great for me and my wife to enjoy together but when its just me and I wanna zip through a parking lot or go down a gravel road I miss it.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    You only have two bikes right? That's a bare minimum number of bikes to have. Why get rid of the Zuma? There is nothing else out there like a small lightweight scooter.