Sport touring Tire recommendation?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by gentlemanjim, Apr 17, 2011.

1. XTrooper

XTrooper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Retired and living in the mountains of NE PA
    I have a little over 2000 miles on my Pirelli Angel STs now.

I love the ride and handling of these tires and if I can get at least 7k out of them, I'll be staying with them at replacement time.
  2. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    Pilot Road 2 on my 919, 5k on the rear, 7k on the front, still looking and wearing like new, will replace them with another set when the time comes.
  3. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Running Pilot Road series for quite sometime on various bikes.

Can't say good enough things about them. Good wear and street performance.

My current Hayabusa is a rear tire eater, PR holds up well. My estimate, 5-7K with aggressive riding, upwards to 10K if taking it easy and touring/commuting only.

Pretty good for being fitted on a high torque bike.

I hear good things about Avon Storm series also.
  4. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh

2.9k.....

[​IMG]

on a Harley..... go figure :scratch
  5. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I'll have to take a pic but I've managed to wear out my front PR2 on my VFR before the back. It now has about ~7500 miles on it and the rear has about 8K. The rear looks like it will be good for another 1-2K if I take it easy but the front is now past the wear bars on the sides and at them in the middle.

I have a new one on order that will probably be ready to be installed by the middle of this week. So I'll have gotten around 7500-7600 miles out of one tire. Not bad considering how much twisties I ride.
  6. Yostwerks

Yostwerks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not one to rave on a new tire unless and until it's well scrubbed in and has spent some time in the twisties.

Initially, I didn't notice any improvement in the PR3's vs the PR2's, but after about 400 miles and warmer road temps, I can now report that the
    PR3's feel even more stable and more glued to the twisties than the already great handling PR2's. I've run through 3 sets of PR2's and one set
    of Pilot Power 2ct's on two bikes.

After switching off bikes with my son in the twisties Saturday, neither of us felt that his new Pilot Power Pure's ( Ducati Monster TriColor) handled any
    better than the PR3's (Aprilia Falco) . The PR3's are also quite stable at higher speeds on the flat stretches .. as were the PR2's.

If I get 4500 miles out of the rear, the PR3's will have worn about the same as all my PR2's, but time will tell.

No rain yet, so a report on the sipes will have to wait.

[​IMG]
  7. bahnzii

bahnzii Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yet one more vote for Pilot Roads...
    My recent bike (just sold) was another tire eater, ZX-14.

I tried the BT014 (stock tire), Conti Road Attacks and Pilot Road 2's. The Pilot Road 2's were a great tire and could easily clock 10k or more with commuting or touring, longer if you are easy on your tires.

I tend to get a lot longer life out of tires than most, I had 10k on the tires (when I sold my her) and they easily had another 5-8k for me.

Can't wait to try the PR3's on my next bike :D
  8. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Holy Smokes!!! Go easy on roasties and wheelies and you should clear at least 3K on your next set.
  9. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh

Definitely not a wheelie or burn-out ("roasties?") wear pattern..... Donut, maybe.

Take a look at the other <3k PR2 pix a page or two back. These are good twisty wear patterns.
  10. Lujo

Lujo Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 for Pilot Roads. I replaced the rear PR2 on my F800ST with a PR3 at 8.5k because I was about to go on a cross-country trip. At 11.5k now the front PR2 still looks like it has a few thousand miles left, but I'm swapping it for a PR3 just to be safe on the 4.5k trip back. Handling in all weather is confidence inspiring, even with 10+k on the front. I can't really tell the difference between the PR2 and PR3 when I'm on the bike.
  11. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I got about 7,000 miles out of a set of Pilot Roads on my F800ST. Seemed good to me so I went with the PR2 next.

Great handling tire and I couldn't wear the damn things out. I had 19,000 (!) miles on them when I finally changed them out. They still hadn't gotten down to the wear bars but I was getting ready for a long trip and didn't know how much farther they could go. I replaced them with (what else?) another set of PR2s.

The great thing about these tires is they keep their round profile even when they get close to wear bars. Good predictable handling for the entire life of the tire.

............shu
  12. hellfire76

hellfire76 haphazard adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am up to almost 7,000 miles on my first set of PR3's on the 1050 Tiger. Mostly commuting and back road cruising but some aggressive riding in the twisties including a 2,000 mile trip to the dragon and back.

I tend to be easier on tires than some of you. They are wearing well for the most part. Rear is squared off. Front and rear are feathering at the sipes a bit. But hey, 7,000 miles.

I would say tread wear is at 3/4 gone. They have always felt very planted and stuck to the road while hitting the foot peg feelers. Feed back seemes to be the same as PR2's. Wet traction is great. On wet roads I was able to hit the brakes surprisingly hard before the ABS kicked in. Once while just testing out the tires and once while avoiding three deer blocking most of the road as I rounded a blind corner.

I will be using them again.
  13. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    I am pretty stoked about the Mich PR2's. Good wet weather performance and dry traction...but what is impressive to me is how well they resist squaring off when i run them at 36F/42R pressures. They maintain their profile very well. On the FZ1 got 10k out of the front and should get 8k out of the rear in mixed riding.

Wouldn't mind trying a set of PR3's though...for comparative purposes.
  14. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Adventurer

Oddometer:

Been searching for info on PR2s vs PR3s. So far I can only tell that the PR3s extra sipes give extra grip in the rain. I never lose grip on the PR2s and I ride regularly in wet and dry. I also would not drive faster in the wet just because my tyres are said to have a bit more grip so I would need another reason to spend the extra cash on PR3s.

As for 023s, for some reason my rear tyre developed a couple of splits going across the center of it. Could not work out what the hell caused them. However I recently came back from a road trip at the time which involved high speeds for long periods of time. I put the problem down to durability and went back to PR2s. Never had them split. Maybe I just had bad luck with that particular pair of 023s, but I think I will stay with what works for me.
  15. rotten

rotten LOST AGAIN

Oddometer:

WOW that is the fastest wear out I have heard of for this tire!
  16. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had Michelin Road Pilot 2's on my Versys for approx. 9000KM. The rear seems to have lots of life left on it and the front just got to the wear bar on one spot on the tread. They grip exceptionally well and have worn evenly with no flat spotting. I would recommend the Road Pilot 3's based on my performance with these. From what I have read the Angels and Bridgestone BT 023's don't stand up as well.
  17. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states

You must have missed post 41:evil

18. chadsfast

chadsfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Pilot Road 3 on the Bandit 1200S. I freaking love these tires. They are real loose when compared to the Roadsmarts or Qualifiers until they get warmed up. Which takes about twice as long as the others mentioned. Once warm they are every bit as good as the others. I edge it out and still scrap the pegs so yes, I use the tires to there full potential.

The Pilots are way way better on gravel or rain than any other tire I have used. They seem to be wearing freaking amazing. I am at about 3/4 remaining at 2900 miles. A q2 (qualifier) would be done at that point. Roadsmarts would be over half gone. I powerslide all the time on them too both gravel and tar. Love these tires!!!
  19. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:

That calculates out to 3800-3900 miles life for you...

You find that acceptable wear for a "sport-touring" tire?

:eek1
  20. combustor777

combustor777 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you re-read, he said 3/4 remaining, not used up.:deal