820 Hyperstrada (was Hyper Explorer 796)

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by avianello, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    We get the 848 Streetfighter, UK gets the 898 Street fighter monster.

We got screwed again ! :lol3
  2. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Never let facts get in the way of a good rant, right? Man, I couldn't show better what I mean than you do yourself.

You haven't even read or remembered anything I wrote here - I never said that the Hyper is the ideal adventure bike. I only pointed out that you are writing unfounded, fact free crap.

Also I did not by a Tiger XC, I bought a Roadie.

It all comes down that your contributions might have at least some value if you researched them a little bit and have your facts right instead of just making shit up.

I personally think that this is a great setup for lightweight touring. And everybody defines adventure touring differently. It might be perfectly adequate for a lot of people. Me included. I might have considered the little Hyper a week ago if I had known about this setup.
  3. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Seems to me like a reasonably priced used 360 pound Hyper, after market over 6 gallon for tank, bags and racks for the extended weekend, skid plate, properly set up suspension by Race Tech (new cartridges) properly sized spoke wheels ala Woody’s, good rubber (Metzler) and the sweet sound of a Ducati twin and you would have a proper adventure bike still weighting less and costing far less than most others. You can’t tell me that you would buy any other bike and not completely customize it to suit your needs right out the gate, bags, skid plate, exhaust maybe not suspension right away but eventually you would. Light weight, fuel injected, air cooled, powerful and you won’t be just like everyone else…..:deal
  4. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    I prefer to wait for Ducati to actually build the bike I know they can. Love the Hyper motor, but honestly, a single would be ideal. (anyone ever see the SuperMono run?)

Imagine:
    Proper 21" front wheel, 18" rear with geometry set up for off road/adventure. Decent range, comfort and toughness to handle bit of luggage and take a beating. Make it the Anti-GS Adventure bike. Perhaps graft a bit of Husaberg DNA into it?

Minimal electronicus complicatus All this right from the factory. Think of it as a sort of KTM 990 light that handles well. Simple, Tough, Do it all bike.

Once all the rich guys crash their Multistradas trying to ride them off road and other Ducatisti realize what a dead end sport bikes are ... well? Who knows? :lol3
  5. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a WR250R with Safari sized tank and Sargent quality seat as OEM items directly installed from the factory. :lol3

Had one, it was awesome. Personally I didn't need any more power for this type of bike, did a 400 mile "home run" with busted ribs on mine in one go. Not perfect, but damn good for what it was. As soon as it gets into the 400 to 600cc range it's also in the 180 to 200kg class again ...
  6. wncstrada

wncstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not optimistic that Ducati will come out with a small bike. Remember the 620 Multistrada? It was a great "one person" multistrada, but it did not sell well in the US. I think that the 796 is as small as Ducati will go.
  7. OneWheelDrive

OneWheelDrive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. wncstrada

wncstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Neil, I watched your excellent video on the tank. How adequate are the new airfilters? Could they do the job in a dirt road environment? Thanks!
  9. Baron650

Baron650 650x2

Oddometer:
    Cug, you're being a dick.
    Just thought I'd point that out, in case you were so caught up in this very important issue that you didn't realize it.
    Maybe that's just how you are. I didn't bother to research it.
  10. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Thought so. Speaks for itself.
  11. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    I see the HEIDENAU K60 SCOUT tires in a 17" a little more sporty than the TCK80s that have yet to hit the states, albeit just for the rear.
  12. avianello

avianello Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting possibility. However they have the front but not rear tire (The Hyper rear tire is 180/55/17)

13. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Why doesn't anyone lace up wire wheels for this? Does it have to do with the rotors/calipers, and/or lack of suspension?
    It seems that with a 19/17 set of knobbies, this thing would be [even more] badass.
  14. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    I have asked this question on several forums and the general response for the street orientated crowd :norton is why would you want to? wire wheels are heaver and old school, not nearly as cool as the cast/forged ones. I don’t care about the weight saving I want a 19” front and an 18” rear for more ADV appropriate tires! I spoke with Brett at Belleview Ducati about this subject and he indicated that they had talked about swopping wheel sizes for their Hyper Explorer but determined it was cost prohibitive for the 2 to 300 units they might sell, also he indicated there is a stock hub off of a GT1000 I believe is he said but that can’t be right anyway there is something in current production that will fit on the front. I have asked Woody this very question and am waiting on a response. There is a company in France here is the link http://www.krax-moto.com/16914-jantes-kineo-a-rayons-hypermotard-1100-s-ducati.html that makes wire wheels in stock sizes and they are very proud of them :huh.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    The search continues.
  15. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with Jimo. I'd love to see a MS796 to go head-to-head with the Tiger 800. Put at 19" front wheel on it.... basically, it would be an updated version of the Grand Canyon. And keep it simpler than the MS1200 to keep the cost down.
  16. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Finally, someone agrees with me.
  17. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    the Hypermotards are fantastic canyon carving bikes, no doubt, and the Bellevue Ducati bits look well made. i was a past owner of a HYM which had the CA Cycleworks tank on it and it performed as promised and the handling dynamics didn't seem all that much changed when full. as for the DP soft luggage, it absolutely looks the part, but the fit/construction leaves a bit to be desired, especially in the area of mounting.

i think the HYM Explorer concept is a good one, especially for on asphalt travel. :clap

nice job, Bellevue!
  18. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    Yes we agree!!!
  19. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    This is the response I received from Woodies.....

"Hi Jerry,
    Thanks for contacting us for your wheel needs.
    I have had a couple guys ask about hubs for the Ducati's, I do have a customer who is doing a conversion on the 1000 Multistrada, which the rear hub will be easy to make but will be 500 ea!
    The front we will be able to use our Superlite hub on the 1000 with either BMW, oem or ktm rotor's. I don't know about the 1200 I haven't had a set of wheels here yet?
    let us know what you would like to do, a set usually costs around 2500 for a set without rotor's.
    thanks zach"

:ear
  20. OneWheelDrive

OneWheelDrive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had no issues with the cone filters, though the lower one is a bit close to the water line for a water crossing I took the bike through. Overall, the HM seemed to breath a bit easier with the cones, rather than them being a detriment.