plating/street legal question (Washington)

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Ms. Chiff, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    Does anyone out there know if you can plate a DRZ400E in Washington State?

Thanks,
    Rebecca
  2. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    it's imposible, but that's not to say it doesn't happen if you know what I mean.
  3. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to know how to make it happen, or who can make it happen?
  4. GODSPEED

GODSPEED finger lickin' good

Oddometer:
    I think there used to be someone that had an ad in the Seattle Times/PI that would get a bike plated for $300.

Have it plated in Oregon/ Idaho then transfer to Washington. :dunno
  5. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    If the bike is already plated in another state can I just transfer it?
  6. GODSPEED

GODSPEED finger lickin' good

Oddometer:
    I think so, but not sure. You might join the wa_dsr yahoo group and ask there. I'm sure somebody in that group knows definitively.

I know that you would have to all of the lights, horn, etc...
  7. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll do that.
  8. wesfnw

wesfnw portland,or

Oddometer:
    POWDER COATING WOULD BE A LOT CHEAPER :huh
  9. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    I know it can be done, I have 2 buddies, 1 has an ATK 504, The other has a KTM, and both are plated. You must have lights, head and brake, and the right person behind the counter at the DMV.
  10. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    The best route is as Godspeed suggested. I know of several people that ride the E models, Yamaha WR's, Honda XR's etc. that are plated in other states. Mostly Oregon. KTM's are about the only dirt bike that you can buy here new and get a plate for it because they are the only ones that don't have the "for off road use only" statement on the MSO.

The easiest way by far is to buy one with a plate already on it and simply do a title transfer. I have done it a few times on plated dirt bikes and all the DMV ever asked for was an odometer statement; which is on the back of the title, and a Bill of Sale (so they know how much sales tax to slap on ya) since their computers don't have too many dirt bikes it the system.

good luck
  11. RT jim

RT jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    No biggie to do in NH. Brake lite,horn in can.cheezy little mirror you can't even see out of.xr650r
  12. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info. As it turns out I just bought an "S", so it's all mute! I was reluctant, but since it'll be my only bike... and I want to ride it on the road a bunch... and it was less money than the E I was lusting after...

Anyway. Thanks for the help. :thumb

I'll be riding the S up from Denver to Seattle the latter part of May-beginning of June... so any suggestions on GPSs, routes, camp sites, pubs along the way...
  13. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter.

Oddometer:
    Well welcome to Seattle. :freaky
  14. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    Why thank you. I'd very much like to meet some Washington riders and be introduced to some Washington/PNW riding.

Rebecca
  15. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    in case other want to know it is possible to plate a bike in oregon, you tell 'em you going to keep it there, folow their rules blah blah, then....

washington state no longer inspects all out of state vehicles coming in, i think salvage titles and a few others.

welcome to washington, bring good rain gear, and electric clothes :1drink
  16. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    Don't be MUTE. I'd really like to hear what the Washington riders have to say about riding in the area. Guess spell check wouldn'ta even caught that one :huh. The grammar Nazis'll have to forgive me.

BTW, if anyone has an opinion on GPSs, tank bags, maps and stoves... I'm all :ear, and I'm up for buying second hand :nod.

Rebecca
  17. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    I use a garmin 60C with a RAM mount for my GPS on my NX250 and I think it is the PERFECT setup considering price, quality, reliability, and ease of use. If you get a GPS be SURE to get maping software along with it because the basemaps SUCK bigtime.

As for riding, Washington and the surrounding area is GREAT. We have lots of everything from twisty pavement, to gravel roads that cover large expanses of the state, to singletrack that will make you hurt. And if you go up in the hills high enough, you can see the Pacific from most of the Western side of WA.
  18. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    So if I were wanting to ride the Continental Divide from Denver to Canada, is there a GPS that will store all the topo/forest service maps and city street maps from here to there? Excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question, I'm a n00b with the GPSs... and dual sports, for that matter :D.

Funny how once you get a little taste, distain can turn to obsession in a nano second.
  19. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    well, the 60C has around 56mb of internal memory and that is enough for ALL of washington state (with auto routing data and Points of Interest) along with all the bordering maps of Idaho, Oregon and Canada (with all the same data included). If that wasn't enough then you would have to look to a bigger "car type" unit like the 276(i think) or look for one that used removable memory cards.

Keep in mind that differnt kinds of maps use differnt amounts of memory. A topo map takes up less space then a full on auto-routing city-select map.

that's all I got right now.

So did you just get this S brand new? Or did you buy it used? I am looking for one myself and found one that is PERFECT for what I want but it is in Cali :(
  20. Ms. Chiff

Ms. Chiff just a little

Oddometer:
    Is the one you're looking at listed here on Flea Market? Is it the 04 in Sacramento? I was eyeing that one. It's just over the hill from me.

I wound up buying cRAsH's 2000 DRZ400S, which is now in Denver. He convinced me that instead of buying PFB's 2001 "E" in Boulder, I should buy his "S", then HE would buy PFB's "E". All in all I think it's an almost ideal situation. Now I just gotta go get it!