Coo's Bay ride

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Gupster, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Gupster

Gupster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello to all Oregon advers,

I'll be visiting your green state from the central valley CA. Planning on being in the Coos Bay area late this weekend and into next week. Then heading up to Astoria/Portland area for another week.
    I'm bring my ktm 950 and honda xr (brp dual sported) if any one in the area want's to show off the area to a ca guy let me know.

I'll be staying at an RV park in Charleston.

Thanks,

Gupster/Greg
  2. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFBqDcVa1JA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    :fyyff
    official WELCOME TO OREGON

I'd gladly ride around with you, but headed north on thursday for the weekend with my kids, there's tons of good riding around there though,; easy as a google map search away, sure others will post up.

Portland meetups usually end with some ride, meet is generally decided an hour in advance though, be ready next thursday around 5:30-6?
  3. Gupster

Gupster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tblume,

Thanks, for the responce. Yes I have check out google for some of your local area on and off road riding spots. It all looks mouth watering good. I appresate your interest in taking an old Ca guy out and about.

I'll give you a pm when we get settled in to check on each others schedules.

Gupster
  4. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    coos bay wagon road, or,
    loop down thru myrtle point towards power, then to port orford,
    then there is the old 1000 road,,I think it's called,,goes along the millicoma river, and over the top...been a few years for me on that one, do not trust my memory!
  5. linkweewee

linkweewee momento mori

Oddometer:
    Who is this Coo you speak of and where is his bay? :D

When in Astoria, try the Bowpicker's fish and chips. Just off 30 heading east on your right in a beached scow (you'll see the line...)

Head East on 30 to Westport and take the ferry across and camp here:
    http://vistapark.wordpress.com/

watch the big ships go by 100 ft from the banks of the mighty Columbia.

You'll like where we live...
  6. peterman

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE
    watch the big ships go by 100 ft from the banks of the mighty Columbia.

You'll like where we live...[/QUOTE]
    As we get older,, our perception of distance seems to skew.
    100 feet is 30 feet longer than my shop,,think on it!
    Them big boats are a whole lot futher than they look!~
    and deep too!!
  7. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
    Coast to Winston, south on old 99, over to Cow creek road, Glendale, I-5 to Winston again, back to Coos bay.

Long day ride, have lunch at Heaven on Earth in Sunny Valley, just north of Glendale.

Robert's your fathers brother.
  8. peterman

Oddometer:

butt weight!
    when you get to glendale,,find the Tunnel road,, and ride it to Wolf creek!,,it looks like it's closed,,but looks are deceiving.Comes out at the cemetery at woof creek.
    watch out for deep piles of slippery madrone leaves in the corners,,stay to the right going down where the little stream is.
  9. oremike

oremike Motorcyclest

Oddometer:
    A nice loop would be Hwy 42S and Arago/ Lampa Rd. Exploring the Coos Bay Wagon Rd and its side roads is entertaining but watch out for log trucks during the week. I'd offer to tour guide but can't right now due to work constraints. Camp creek road up by Loon Lake will, depending on which turns you take, take you to Elkton, Tyee or the Coos Bay Wagon Rd.
  10. linkweewee

linkweewee momento mori

Oddometer:
    As we get older,, our perception of distance seems to skew.
    100 feet is 30 feet longer than my shop,,think on it!
    Them big boats are a whole lot futher than they look!~
    and deep too!![/QUOTE]

whatever you say gramps. :gerg
    [​IMG]
  11. peterman

Oddometer:
    it ain't me,,
    it's trigonometry,,,and your pic would work as reference,,,,
    if you knew the distance from the camera, the height of the ship, or the angle of the dangle.
  12. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    When crossing over the McCullough Bridge North of North Bend, after crossing the bridge, hang a right at North Bay drive just 600 feet past the traffic light for Glasgow and follow what remains of the Old Coast Highway. Bits and pieces of it can be ridden from the end of North Bay drive all the way to nearly Winchester Bay by taking Wildwood drive which runs parallel to hwy 101. Ride somewhat slowly as it's mostly residential and experience parts of what old timers had to drive when going to the Willamette valley before Hwy 101 was built.

Also in Hauser, turning off of Wildwood Drive is Templeton Road drive, which eventually will become a myriad of FS roads, some of which might dump you out at either the North Fork of the Millicoma or Loon Lake depending on how lost you get. :lol3

South of town on Cape Arago Hwy you can find Seven Devils and the Old Seven Devils roads to Bandon.

Coos Bay has lots of alleyways...:clap
  13. Gupster

Gupster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To all,

Thanks for all the write ups and info.

Will put a plan together.

Gupster
  14. Gupster

Gupster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Again to all, thanks for the advise.

Well today was just get on and ride. Thinking of what some of you told me I headed out.

Seven devils road is right out of the Charleston/Marina RV park we are staying at. So after taking a run out to Sunset beach (dead end) I came back and headed up Seven Devils it was a wet foggy ride all the way to 101.
    I headed north on 101 and went east over the bridge to Summer. The road turned into dirt climbing up the hill, I went about 5-miles on the dirt and turned around not knowing where it went.
    I came back down a took Wagon Wheel north and made my way to coos river and came back to 101 at the big bridge north of Bend. Went north 101 about first Dune park (went west) check out the play ground and got back on 101 going north to Winchester Bay Dune Fest was going strong, had a late breakfast at Bed Rock good stuff.
    Went north on 101 to Reedsport and got gas at 120-miles. After topping off I decided to take 38 east (nice river view). then 138 south to I-5, and went south to Roseburg. Made my to Lookinglass road heading west to Myrtle Point it turned into dirt for about 10-miles along the Coquile River (good stuff). I came out at 42 in Myrtle Point went west to North Bend road going back to 101 the north to Charleston turnoff and Seven Devils road, much better when not wet and foggy.
    All total it was a 300-mile day with about 15-miles of dirt.

As I'm here on beer two letting you folks know your suggestions were used with a little from all and some on my own.
    It was a great day. By the way I did see the Winchester OHV trail head, might try it next.

Gupster
  15. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gimme a holler when you head north to Astoria, I spend a lot of time in that area.
  16. Gupster

Gupster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will do Road Rash,

Heading north Wed. will take a couple days to get to Astoria.

I went for ride on the xr this morning at the Winchester trails (afternoon would have been better). It was wet with fog but I managed about 20 miles (50 total), I was a bet nervous about riding alone. I have to hand it to you locals that can ride the wet roots at any kind of speed.

Be safe,

Gupster
  17. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    It's too bad your time was limited and you made the trips destination oriented, instead of doing some creative getting lost..:wink: As you were at the start of a number of backroads rides that would have been daylong fun.

Sounds like you did find Blue Ridge.
  18. Gupster

Gupster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamageek,

On my one day ride with the ktm around this area I felt I was only one turn away from something good.
    I was very pleased with what I experienced.

Thanks for sharing.
  19. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    Mr. Gupster

sorry I've discovered this thread too late. (I'm a Coos Bay resident), and wouldda loved to have shown you around.

I'm suprised that you found Sumner and the dirty road that takes you over the hill past Blue Ridge to Fairview...but alas, you turned around too soon. (ya shouldda kept going....lotsa fun road out thataways.)

but it sounds like you had alotta fun while touring around here. :norton

well....maybe next time.

GodSpeed!!
  20. Gupster

Gupster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Patrick,

I to am sorry, as the blue ridge (you call it) was fun. The problem (good and bad) of being in a new place I guess. Being on two wheel is all good.
    I see you are a venture guy, I have an 83 that I've had for about 10 years. Just rebuilt the brakes and clutch including plates with springs. The old girl is ready to ride.

Thanks for your input.

Gupster