PNW land use issues

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Johnny Drunkard, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

My vote is they want to sidestep the work/responsibility and perhaps more importantly they in my estimation have an agenda of creating de-facto wilderness areas...which is all well and good but they should be honest about it...it is not about $$$ since they have not spent a dime to maintain or patrol these roads nor are the laying off personnel to save $$$ since they are shrinking their work load by closing the roads..<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Look all of us have observed government agencies that have authority over any resource become very possessive of those resources..or like we used to say at the university: "Damn this would be a great place if we could just get rid of the students"! USFS believes they are the reason for the NF...tail wagging the dog..:brow <o:p></o:p>
  2. Submariner

Submariner Submariner

Oddometer:
    there is none yet for the Rogue river/ Siskiyou NF.
  3. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Just stopped into Hood River RS near Mt. Hood Community.
    All I got was........:huh

No Maps.
    Never heard of it.
  4. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    <FORM method=post name=frmMenu action="">Lowman RD Will Temporarily Close the 582 Road in Bear Valley Beginning July 28

Date: Jul 27, 2010
    Contact(s): Lowman RD 208-259-3361 <!-- Added condition to display 2nd and 3rd contacts if available -->

<!-- gets dynamic conversion of content -->
    Lowman, ID –The Lowman District Ranger will close National Forest System (NFS) road 582 from July 28 through August 17 to install a new bridge at the Sack Creek crossing. The section of closed road is between NFS road 582 to NFS road 582K.

Access remains available to the Dagger Falls, Bruce Meadows and Elk Creek area from the east through the NFS road 579 road via State Highway 21, from the west via the Landmark-to-Stanley road (NFS road 579), and from the south via the Clear Creek road on the NFS roads 563 and 579.

Vehicle travel of all types is prohibited until the bridge work is completed.

For more information, contact the Lowman Ranger District at 208-259-3361.

OK...So does this mean that FS563 [Bearskin Crk] south from FR579 will come back into FS 582 and bypass the closed section? Have no idea what FS582K is? The beat goes on...</FORM>
  5. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude,,access from hwy 21?

you need to get over your hatred of asphalt and tear that road up! It is one of the funnest twisty roads anywhere! and access to dirt from there is a bonus! Personally, I'd close 21 to all traffic except motos, at least once a week during summer!:lol3
    Great road for scrape tests!:clapHmmm, what was that dragging back there,,better crank up the Ohlins a bit,,,:1drink
  6. ryanwilliamcantrell

ryanwilliamcantrell Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer:
    I'm really glad you posted this ~ our group was set to run 582 next Saturday.

This means that 582 is closed from the intersection of 582 & 563 to the intersection of 582 and 579 ~ Sack Creek is 1/2 way between those 2 intersections. You can still run all of Bear Valley, just come up 555 or 563 if you're coming from the south, or down from 579 if you're coming from the north, and you can run 579 east all the way to highway 21.

RWC

7. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Thanks that was my take on it to.....I will go down FS563 rather than over FS579 to 21..

PM, PM, PM....my asphalt screaming days are history...I find it so much more relaxing and fun to pound down some dirt road or trail out in BFE; not that I am anti-social and don't enjoy the other traffic, but I am anti-social and prefer the wilds....it comes very close to "moving meditation" :wink:
  8. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    Here's a letter I recieved from Arra-Access:

ARRA Obtains Remainder of Leaked DOI Document Detailing BLM Agenda that Leaves Little Room for Motorized Recreation

ARRA alerted you to a leaked Department of Interior memo earlier this year that outlined that the Administration is considering restricting access to public lands by declaring as many as 17 areas in 11 western states as National Monuments. The leaked pages were part of a bigger "Treasured Landscapes" document. Since the leak, the House Natural Resources Committee passed a Resolution of Inquiry (H.Res. 1406) directing DOI to turn over the full document. The full House has yet to act on the inquiry; however, ARRA has obtained a copy of the full document, which can be found at the link below.

http://www.arra-access.com/site/DocServer/Treasured_Landscapes.pdf?docID=281

In addition to the pages we knew about addressing National Monuments there is an attachment that highlights wilderness bills that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) believes "may be appropriate for Wilderness or National Conservation Area designation," including potential designations in NM, NV, OR, CO, CA and UT. Particularly troubling is the inclusion of the Hidden Gems proposal in CO, which has yet to be formally introduced and has faced significant opposition from motorized and other organizations in Colorado.

The document also lays out BLM's intention to "...transition from the current land management system, which is based on jurisdictional boundaries, to a modern
    landscape-level management system..." Part of this transition includes supporting Congressional efforts to designate Wilderness, National Conservation areas and other special designations, and the designation of new National Monuments, which are outlined in the attachments. The document also makes it clear that BLM intends to use its own "land-use planning process to manage for conservation values" in areas where legislative or Monument protection is unlikely.

All of this is likely to have a negative impact on motorized recreation on BLM lands. All OHV use is forever banned in wilderness areas, and will almost certainly be banned in areas that receive other special designations. Further, the document lays out a clear desire to elevate managing for conservation over BLM's mandate to manage for multiple uses. While conservation is certainly important, there is no reason that lands managed for all forms of recreation, including motorized, cannot be conserved.

ARRA has also alerted you about the Administration's "America's Great Outdoors Initiative (AGO)," and has notified many of you about AGO listening sessions in your area. DOI Secretary Ken Salazar has made it clear that he envisions implementing the Treasured Landscapes agenda laid out in the leaked documents as part of the AGO recommendations.

This makes it especially important for all OHV users to get involved and participate in any local AGO listening sessions and/or submit comments on the America's Great Outdoors website here: http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=iLQTPegliMR9vJ4TcwBI-g..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
    http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=q0uLP0keYSxacHOacVtyAQ..

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for Americans For Responsible Recreational Access at:
    http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=77q38yTJfQGtO2wTSjb5lw..

To better help ARRA advocate for responsible access, please forward any messages you receive from Members of Congress in response to this or any ARRA alert to webmaster@arra-access.com. Also, if you receive a message encouraging you to use a webform to send a message to a Member of Congress, please copy and paste the letter from the ARRA alert into the webform and send. Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Americans for Responsible Recreation Access
    1152 15th Street, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20005
    webmaster@arra-access.com
    To unsubscribe, click here
    http://www.arra-access.com/site/CO?i=X19JFlo_8yH53p6z8hvYk04IdLL-n-aU&cid=0
  9. wibby

Oddometer:
    Weigh In to Encourage Your Members to Reject Omnibus Approach

As you may recall, last year Congress approved a massive omnibus public lands bill that cobbled more than 160 separate pieces of legislation into one massive bill. The bill permanently eliminated the potential for motorized recreation on more than two million acres of public lands that were designated as wilderness in nine states. In addition, the package added three new national park units, a new national monument, three new national conservation areas, more than 1,000 miles of national wild and scenic rivers and four new national trails. Also signed into law as a part of the omnibus package was the National Landscape Conservation System (NLCS) Act, which is currently being used to limit motorized access on Bureau of Land Management lands.

Now Congress is considering creating another public lands omnibus package. Key Members of Congress have indicated that they would like an omnibus this year and Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has made it clear that he would like Congress to move one as well.

It is important that you contact your Members of Congress and key Congressional leaders to let them know you oppose a new massive omnibus public lands law and that a repeat of the 2009 law will mean more restrictions to access.

Please click the link below to urge your Members and key Congressional leaders to oppose a massive omnibus bill in favor of ensuring that all public lands bills have hearings to allow for full local input.

TAKE ACTION!

http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=5-kOi1a4XnGCgzSss6Lowg..

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
    http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=AaktSQUvQUs7x_AsqAP8Jw..

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for Americans For Responsible Recreational Access at:
    http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=2eOQuase_BBnnYN1omEzcQ..

To better help ARRA advocate for responsible access, please forward any messages you receive from Members of Congress in response to this or any ARRA alert to webmaster@arra-access.com. Also, if you receive a message encouraging you to use a webform to send a message to a Member of Congress, please copy and paste the letter from the ARRA alert into the webform and send. Thank you.

To unsubscribe, click here
    http://www.arra-access.com/site/CO?i=4V0lhnVWjBvELmeX1LpCVxmkBEBH5KJr&cid=0
  10. wibby

Oddometer:
    Latest ARRA Letter

Larry E. Smith, ARRA Executive Director to me
    show details 2:47 PM (3 minutes ago)
    Americans for Responsible Recreational Access - www.arra-access.com

ARRA Washington Newsletter
    September 2010

In This Issue...
    >> Good News from Great Falls
    >> Chicago - The Windy City
    >> Blowing Winds of Political Change

Read this issue and about other important access issues that may
    affect your use of public lands. Now on the ARRA Website
    http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=k55heLscewLklPb5I5iD6A..

ARRA Washington Newsletter
    September 2010

Good News from Great Falls
    --------------------------
    I just finished attending the NOHVCC (National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council) Annual Conference held this year in Great Falls, Montana. Present were OHV enthusiasts from all parts of the U.S., Canada and Iceland, as well as land managers from the Bureau of Land Management, the U. S. Forest Service, and many state agencies. This is an excellent conference to attend because one gets to learn of new efforts to foster responsible OHV recreation.

Read more...
    http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=DF85uf4PA5a76AKtd726og..

Chicago - The Windy City
    ------------------------
    We have reported on and have encouraged ARRA members to attend the various "Listening Sessions" the Obama Administration has been holding throughout the country as a part of the America's Great Outdoors Initiative.

At the very end of August, a session was held in Chicago and I decided to attend, since the theme of this particular session was health and the great outdoors. Since it was being held in an urban setting, much of the focus was going to be on urban outreach, but we know that OHV recreation is a very invigorating sport, so some of us felt that motorized recreation should be represented as well.

Read more...
    http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=1MublB5I2v5B_tq2_3lS_g..

Blowing Winds of Political Change
    ---------------------------------
    Congress returns to Washington on September 7th, but most members will be focusing not on the legislative agenda but rather on the political mood of the voters especially as the November elections are just weeks away. Both the House and the Senate will recess in early October so members up for re-election can rush home to meet the voters.

During the August recess, yet another incumbent, Senator Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, failed to receive her party's nomination as a Senatorial candidate. Her defeat brings the total to three incumbent Senators who failed to win in a primary election. Several House members also failed in similar attempts so it is very clear that in many areas of the country, the voters are not in a good mood.

My predictions for November are as follows:

* Republicans win control of the House of Representatives
    * Republicans pick up a net gain of 6-7 Senate seats, but fall short in gaining a majority status

Read more...
    http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=pGBNl5cK-qYa5DbuYtiI-g..

So, the winds of political change are blowing. Change can be good. But even with change, we cannot let down our guard. With a new Congress, we will have new members to educate about our issues. In the meantime, as you meet political candidates in your hometowns, be sure to tell them about the threats to recreational access on public lands. (Remember, this is the time that they really listen closely to voters.) Tell them about the health benefits of OHV recreation. Tell them that you want their commitment to work with us in preserving access and in promoting responsible recreation.

Sincerely,

Larry E. Smith
    Executive Director
    Americans for Responsible Recreational Access

Visit your subscription management page to unsubscribe, modify your
    email communication preferences or update your personal profile.
    http://www.arra-access.com/site/CO?i=7BlEJfG3w_WX0kpfU-OHG_0LXL5AW9dM&cid=0

11. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    TODAY!!! BLM at Big Willow taking comments.

http://www.blm.gov/id/st/en/info/new...nvited_to.html

BOISE – On November 5, 2011, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is inviting the interested public, including recreationists, both motorized and non-motorized, to participate in identifying roads and trails previously used on public lands located north of Big Willow Creek in Payette County.

In May 2011, BLM temporarily closed 37 miles of roads and trails to motorized off-highway vehicle (OHV) recreational travel near Big Willow Creek Area, located in Payette County. The purpose of the closure was due to the presence of Packard’s milkvetch, a recently listed candidate species for protection under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). The closure affected approximately 7,100 acres northwest of Emmett, Idaho, which the BLM administers.

Two public meetings, hosted by BLM in June, in Payette and Emmett, were held to discuss the purpose of the temporary closure. Many of those who attended the public meetings were OHV recreationists who offered to help the BLM identify the roads and trails they used in the Big Willow Creek area.

BLM has identified November 5, as the day the interested public can participate in this mapping effort. Those with geographical positioning system (GPS) units are encouraged to bring them. However, they are not needed in order to participate. Maps of the area will be available for identifying roads and trails. They will later be added to the Bureau’s computerized Geographical Information System. Meet on the North side of Big Willow Creek Road about 2 miles east of the intersection with Stone Quarry Gulch. BLM staff will be on-site from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.

“Identification of roads and trails previously used by recreationists is an important part of our development of a long-term plan for preserving Packard’s milkvetch and its habitat, and for managing future motorized and non-motorized recreational activities in this area,” said Terry Humphrey, Field Manager of the BLM Four Rivers Field Office.