Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ladybug, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    A friend suggested I do an on-going ride report about my rides looking for geocaches so here we go. To get started you can read about a recent cache ride I wrote a report about and posted it in regionals: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888316

From the Geocaching website: “Geocaching is a free real-world outdoor treasure hunt. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using a smartphone or GPS and then share their experiences online. There are 2,103,324 active geocaches and over 5 million geocachers worldwide.”

If you want to learn more and see where geocaches are located visit the website: http://www.geocaching.com/

There are many reasons people geocache. Some like the challenge of seeing how many they can find. Some like to get out with family/friends with a goal in mind. Others enjoy figuring out the real tough ones. For me I like to see where I'’ll end up while I'’m looking for caches. Many caches are at viewpoints, historical places, and take me to many very interesting places I otherwise wouldn'’t know about.

If you haven'’t followed one of my ride reports before you will find I get distracted easily, babble endlessly and often share thoughts and memories as I tell you about my ride. Please join me as I cache my way around the wonderful countryside this world has to offer. :ricky

Last week I was burned out with work and decided I needed to take a ride so I took off a couple days and went looking for an adventure.

Common for me I planned a route that was a bit ambitious but I decided to head out and see what I ended up actually doing. Along with an ambitious route I had 47 caches loaded into my GPS which is way more than I would have time to look for but they were there in case I wanted to look for them.

This is basically the route I thought I might do:

[​IMG]

Each color would be a different day and where I thought I would be stopping for the night - - - - maybe.

This is closer to the route I actually did:
    [​IMG]

The weather wasn'’t cooperating when I got off work Wednesday and it was raining so I decided to wait until Thursday morning to leave rather than the original plan of heading out after work. During the night I was glad I delayed since one heck of a storm came through. I figured maybe that would get it out of its system and it would be all clear ahead.

Thursday 5/30/13
    I pulled the loaded Superbug:pynd out of the garage and I was on my way but only after waiting for it to warm up a bit so it was a late start. The roads were still wet in places but the sky was fairly clear, the air was fresh and I was looking forward to the ride ahead.

Heading south on hwy 27 I spotted this old school up on a hill in Latah, WA. I haven'’t noticed the building before and suspect some trees had been cut which opened things up making the school visible from the highway. I had to go take a closer look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I was taking pictures of the bell I heard a kitty meowing behind me and when I turned I spotted the school’s watch cat. He was quite the talker.
    [​IMG]

I started walking toward the kitty hoping to pet him then I noticed a cat food dish on the porch and a pair of boots. Hmmmmm is someone living in the old school? I guess I better stop skulking around and move on.<o:p>

Sometimes it feels like I have taken a step or two back in time when I visit rural America.
    [​IMG]

Just on the edge of town this patriotic barn has always caught my attention.
    [​IMG]

I wasn'’t able to find any information about the school but I did find a little bit of information about Latah which is interesting: http://hangmancreekchamber.com/page.html?id=3

A few miles down the road is another patriotic display.
    [​IMG]

There is a cache here however I haven’'t looked for this one as it’s along the highway and in front of someone’'s house. With caches located on private property even with owner’s permission I rarely look for it but I will do a ride by to see what the attraction might be.

The cache page has a little bit of information about the display. “John served us all in the Marines and upon returning from Iraq in the fall of 2005 he noticed that a storm had damaged his flag pole. With a little American ingenuity and a lot of pride John made this masterpiece.”

Thank you John and the other men and women who serve our country and keep the United States what it is.

My ride is taking me into the Palouse riding part of the Palouse Scenic Byway: http://www.palousescenicbyway.org/
    [​IMG]

Riding up, down, and around the hills in the Palouse was an enjoyable way to start the day. :ricky
  2. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I made my way to Farmington where I turned toward Mary Minerva McCroskey Memorial State Park and Skyline Dr. An 18 mile long dirt road that goes through the park which I had never ridden. :ricky A little more about the area: http://www.stateparks.com/mary_minerva_mccroskey_memorial_state_park_in_idaho.html

I like that the park is dedicated to the strong frontier women.
    "This 5,300-acre park was given to the state of Idaho in 1955 and is dedicated to the memory of frontier women and the hardships they endured"

The start of Skyline Dr.
    [​IMG]

It’'s been a number of years but I used to dirt ride here, every so often, and have good memories of exploring the trails. The website indicates there are 32 miles of trails in the park. I know many of them are single track and there are a few ATV trails as well. Even though I was all over the place on my XR100 I didn'’t ride much of Skyline Dr. and now I was going to ride it.

There are a few caches in the park, which I planned to look for. One of the cache pages did warn that the road could be “tricky” if wet, which had me a little concerned but I decided to do it anyway.

The road was wet but not bad at all. There were some areas that looked pretty slippery but the Superbug:pynd just sailed right through with no problem. There are some incredible views of the Palouse from Skyline Drive.
    [​IMG]

Looking at the map I could see another ride down here is in order to camp explore more roads. :evil
    [​IMG]

There’'s Steptoe Butte across the way.
    [​IMG]

Here’s a couple of the single track trails that shoots off Skyline Drive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one suited for ATVs as well as dual sport bikes.
    [​IMG]

There is a campsite at the start of the trail above, which would be a nice place to camp and ride.

I stopped here to try and get a shot of the pretty view across the way.
    [​IMG]

The photo didn’'t turn out worth beans but while I was stopped there a nice lady in a 4 wheel drive truck stopped to check on me. We talked for a few minutes and she was very pleasant. This type of thing would play again and again as I explored the back roads.

Stopped at the view point to check things out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again the pictures of the view didn’t turn out but I did get some flower pictures. :D
    [​IMG]
    There were a lot of wild flowers blooming which I was enjoying.:flug
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was funny, I only saw three other people in the park as I rode through and two of them were near cache hiding spots. Those will have to wait for another time.

Another road I need to come back and ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was time for lunch and to find a geocache. This place is called “Fireplace” - I don’t know why I didn’'t see a fireplace. The covered shelter and restroom was a welcome stop.
    [​IMG]

It started to rain and hail a little bit while I was here so spending a little time having lunch worked out perfectly. Lunch was split pea soup and teriyaki beef chunks.
    [​IMG]

The cache was located only a few feet away from the shelter.
    [​IMG]

When you find a cache you sign the log book then also log it on the website later. You can leave something in the cache and take something. I normally leave some sort of ladybug trinket.
    [​IMG]

Someone left a cute little wreath. Often the things in the caches are kids toys which is great for families and at time people are tacky and leave broken or worn out junk. This one wasn’'t bad at all.

The rain stopped so I took a little walk on a foot path and stopped to enjoy this flower along the way.
    [​IMG]

With the park having 32 miles of motorcycle trails I liked that they had one trail for walking/hiking.
    [​IMG]

It'’s too bad some motorcyclist didn'’t see fit to respect the foot trail in the picnic area and leave it as such. I bet that same rider doesn'’t understand why people don’'t like motorcyclists and want to close trails off to them completely. :deal
    [​IMG]

Across from the picnic area there are three campsites, which are spread out nicely. Another good place to camp at some point.
    [​IMG]

If not for the cache at the picnic shelter I probably wouldn’'t have stopped but because I did I discovered the campsites. The bathroom was also tucked back away from the road and I wouldn’'t have known it was there either. Restrooms out in the woods are a little bit of luxury in my book. :D (I know all you men don't care one way or the other - it's a girl thing)

This curve was a lot wetter than the rest of the road and the trees are dripping with moss, which isn’'t common in the park. It looked a lot cooler in real life than it does in the photo.:lol3
    [​IMG]

From the picnic shelter it was on to another cache, which is at this old Tavern.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is supposed to be a cache here but no one has logged a find since 2011 and there have been a number of Did Not Finds logged. It looks like the cache was placed before the fence was installed and the cache owner hasn’'t taken care of it. There were also indications that it was difficult for vertically challenged people. I can relate to that. I thought it might be hanging in a tree behind the building. It wasn'’t but I found this while poking around in the woods.
    [​IMG]

As I was checking out the old building I noticed something on the floor and it looks like the cache fell out of the rafters.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One last look and I was on my way again. :ricky
    [​IMG]

I wasn’'t making miles very rapidly but the goal wasn’'t to make mile it was to enjoy the sights along the way and I was doing just that.

It wasn'’t long until I stopped again to enjoy a few minutes at this park.
    [​IMG]

There is a virtual cache here. No container to be found, just answer a few questions and email it to the cache owner. I took pictures of some of the signs but not the sign that had the answers I was looking for. I should have pulled out the questions and found the answers rather than going about it the lazy way. Oh well, just another reason to return. :evil
    [​IMG]

This little building won’'t last much longer if it doesn'’t receive some TLC.
    [​IMG]

It looks more like a display log building rather than a "real" one since it doesn’'t have any caulking between the logs. There’'s a lot of daylight shining through.
    [​IMG]

Potlatch’'s claim to fame.
    [​IMG]

A tribute to the transportation system that moved the lumber from here across the nation.
    [​IMG]

I found the road to my next stop and I was ignoring those black clouds in the sky. If I ignore it then it's not there. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Ooooooo a roller coaster road. :clap
    [​IMG]

Had to take a picture of the road sign so I could remember where I was. I do that a lot.
    [​IMG]

There is a cache here but all I found was ugly water. Yuck…..
    [​IMG]

The next stop was more productive. Very pretty historic cemetery.
    [​IMG]

The cache.
    [​IMG]

A stop here.
    [​IMG]

The cache page said there is an easy long way to get to the cache or a short steep way to get to the cache. I took the short steep way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found the cache
    [​IMG]

The Library in Bolvill, ID
    [​IMG]

Things are fading away.
    [​IMG]

A post office for MortimerSickle.
    [​IMG]

There's so much to see when taking the time to look around.....
  3. mrmagoolin

mrmagoolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great start Ladybug.:clap:clap:clap
  4. doorman

doorman Aimless

Oddometer:
    Looks like a lot of fun. I always wanted to get in to geocaching, but I think my wife would disown me if I started another hobby.
  5. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Very cool, dual sport and geocaching...a perfect combo!
  6. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    At the rate I was going I wasn't going to get to where I wanted to camp but I didn’'t want to just by pass fun things to check out either. Beside I didn'’t have a real plan of where I was going to camp just an idea of what area I might stop for the night.

Another fun scenic road the Elk_River_Backcounty_Byway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spotted a few things on the sign that I would like to check out but not now. My idea was to return through Elk River on my way home so I figured I would do it on the way back. :lol3

The road twists and turns on its way to Dworshak Reservoir. Shortly after this photo the road turned to dirt.
    [​IMG]

Enjoying mountain views.
    [​IMG]

Dworshak Reservoir.
    [​IMG]

I thought I would find camping in this area but I didn'’t. I spotted a group camping area but it was gated and locked. Later I discover the regular camping was before the group area but I didn’'t start looking for camping until after the group area.

My first sighting of the Dent_Bridge I knew from photos it is a beautiful bridge but like so many things the photos just can'’t capture that first view in real life.
    [​IMG]

I dropped down to the reservoir and the Dent_Bridge.
    [​IMG]

"In 1972 the Dent Bridge earned the "American Institute of Steel Construction Award of Merit 1972 Long Span," having been judged as one of the 18 most beautiful structures in America."

There wasn'’t any traffic so I got a shot of the Superbug:pynd coming off the bridge.
    [​IMG]

In the area there are 5 caches that I had in the GPS figuring on camping in the area and looking for them. I was so taken by the bridge and getting pictures of it I forgot all about looking for the caches. :D

I was hoping to find camping before I got to Orofino, ID but I didn'’t and it was starting to get late. In Orofino I fueled up and headed out looking for camp. I stayed on the North side of the river and Hwy 12 with the hopes there would be camping.
    [​IMG]<o

It was a nice ride but the further the sun dropped the more deer I was seeing. It was starting to look like I would be riding after dark which I try to avoid but I was enjoying the views and the ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was so pretty out there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got to Lenore, ID and this old style Post Office.
    [​IMG]

If you think postal workers have a cushy job you might want to re-think that. It doesn'’t look all that cushy too me. My cube at work is a lot more cushy than this.
    [​IMG]

It was late enough I decided camping wasn'’t going to happen, it was time for me to find a motel and get off the road. I crossed the river, got on Highway 12 and made a beeline for Orofino.
    [​IMG]

I spotted a motel shortly before Orofino so I pulled in. The office wasn’'t obvious and the motel looked a bit sketchy so I pulled out and continued on. At Orofino I saw a sign for a motel but I didn’'t pay attention to directions figuring how difficult could it be to find it. I found a nice Best Western that was hosting a convention but it really isn't my type of place. I returned to the sign I spotted and paid attention to the directions to the motel. It was three miles north. I headed the direction the sign pointed and was headed out of town (town if very small). I couldn’'t image a motel being out there but I decided I would go at least 3 miles before I turned around. Sure enough there is a motel there and I liked it.
    Metalcarver, Vegas800XC and gregoblv like this.
  7. Crusier Dude

Crusier Dude pavement inspecter

Oddometer:
    I love how you take the time to see the history and sites off the beaten path. My brother in law owns the IGA in orifino. I worked for him as a meat cutter and produce manager for 10 months in 2011. I know of the little Motel you are talking about. Ed from Happy Tails loves to ride up there get the GREAT tasting chicken at the IGA store and have fun in the area. Looking forward to the rest of your trip.
    THANKS AGAIN FOR SHARING YOUR TIME WITH US.

Les in Boise.
  8. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    A great start

I was watching your spot as you were running around looking for a hotel and I couldn't figure out what you were doing

:lurk
  9. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful ride and thread Ladybug. You've found some great history up yonder, but I suspect you already knew it was there. I'm glad you're gonna do an on-going ride report. I'm pretty sure I've missed some great ride reports from you 'cause I don't venture into the regional forums all that often. I also do a bit of geocaching and in a quest to find some, they've taken me to places I might not have otherwise visited. Have a fun time in Hell's Canyon.:D
  10. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    enjoyed the pics
  11. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geocaching is a lot of fun. Some people put a lot of effort into their description of their cache and the "story" that goes with it. When we first retired to the high desert in Calif, we used geocaching to find out a lot about the area. We frequently look for caches on our travels.

Thanks for your reports.
  12. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    ...fellow cacher here. I enjoy it a lot just for the reason you state, takes me places I wouldn't normally have gone. I've really slacked off latly and need to get back to it. Ride on and I look forward to following your adventures. I've got 3 caches in the Mt. Shasta area if you're ever in the Northern Calif. region. Cacheing name is the same as here, Redog1
    :clap
  13. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Hi Les, I'm glad you are following along. I'll have to remember to stop at the IGA for their chicken. I thought about stopping there and picking up something for dinner but I didn't have room to add anything more. :lol3

With you knowing how much I dislike riding after dark I can see why you couldn't figure out what I was doing. It was a lot later than I normally ride.

There are so many great places in the NW and I just keep finding more and more wonderful jewels. Geocaching along the way gets me to interesting places.

Thank you

You are right the story on the cache page for some of the caches make them that much more fun. There was one in particular that I enjoyed. I'll get to that yet...

I'm hit and miss with caching. I let it lag for a while then remember why I enjoy doing it and start again. My cache name is the same as here as well. The next time I get to the N. CA area I'll go in search of the caches, I love Mt. Shasta.
  14. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to have this portion completed by this weekend since I'm headed to Enterprise, OR for the Hells Canyon/Wallowa Valley Gathering but I don't think I'm going to get it done. This might be slow going but I will complete the story of this ride. In the meantime I will give you this:

Friday 5/31/13

Konkolville_Motel is a nice motel, which I enjoyed. The owners, Joe and Sherry, were very welcoming and made sure I was happy. When I got to my room I found it to be large, clean and so very comfy. In the room was a fridge, microwave and coffee pot all worth points in my book. Heck, they impressed me when they told me they have motorcycle parking.

See the Superbug :pynd there in it’s own special parking.

[​IMG]

In the room there was a notebook with information about the area and it included the history of the motel and lumber mill across the street. It’s also on their website. I like that it was created by a family following their dream and now it’s owned by someone following in their footsteps. Very cool.
    [​IMG]

After I got up I went to the lobby and enjoyed breakfast. I was surprised to find breakfast was more than a roll and juice. They had cereal, muffins, toast, waffles, biscuits and gravy and of course hot coffee. Not bad since it’s included with the room.

They even have a swimming pool and hot tub although I didn'’t use them. I liked where the pool was located and how nice things were.
    [​IMG]

As I was packing up the Superbug :pynd Joe noticed me getting ready to leave and came over to talk with me. He gave me some tips on good riding roads in the area and wanted to be sure I ate breakfast before I left. How nice is that?

I was very impressed with the motel and normally I don’t care that much for motels.

These are mighty big cedars.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was off riding again and looking for the road off Greer Grade that goes to Pardee, ID. Pardee hasn'’t been a town for many years so there aren't direction signs and the road didn'’t have a road sign. I was also looking for caches, sort of.

I stopped to check out the view and enjoyed seeing the Old Greer Grade (dirt) on the other side of the river.
    [​IMG]

It’s nice to see the wild roses blooming.
    [​IMG]

The view sure is nice. There is supposed to be a cache here but I didn’t find it. At least I found roses and a pretty view so the stop was worth it.
    [​IMG]

I got to about the top of the grade and knew I had missed the road I was looking for so back down the grade I headed. I decided to check for another cache feeling a little disappointed because I didn’'t think I was going to find the road I wanted to ride. I couldn'’t imagine where I missed it or where it was going to be.

The cache was at a historical sign which I always enjoy reading.
    [​IMG]

After reading the sign I started to look for the cache. Ahhhh there’'s the little darlin'’.
    [​IMG]

It’s a tiny little bugger. :D
    [​IMG]

When I walked to the back of the sign to look for the cache I spotted this….
    [​IMG]

I bet that’'s the road I was looking for. :evil I checked my GPS and sure enough that was it. The road came off the edge of the pull out and didn'’t have a road sign so it just blended in to the pull out. Oh goodie, goodie I found the road I wanted to ride. :clap

Over the next few days I spotted a number of these.
    [​IMG]

On highway 12 these crosses were painted on the road every couple miles.

Enjoying the ride.
    [​IMG]

Pretty spring run off.
    [​IMG]

As I was riding up a hill I spotted a critter up in the road. :raabia
    [​IMG]

At first I didn'’t know what it was but as I got a little closer I figured it out. I stopped so as to not spook it and so I could get a picture. I found it pretty funny that there was a Llama at a Llama crossing sign. Normally there are signs like that but you never see the critters you are being warned about.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to get a closer look and hoping to get a better picture so I started to inch my way toward the big guy. It made me a little nervous when it started walking toward me. I know it’s domesticated but how tame is it really?
    [​IMG]

With it walking toward me I stopped again and when I did, it turned and went off into the bushes.

I’'m going to leave you with that for now and will be back later to add more . . .
    Metalcarver, 7thson and gregoblv like this.
  15. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Reporting as usual! I'm planning on geocaching around here this summer.
    The "Crosses" you saw are aerial photography control panel points set by surveyors and used in photogrammetric mapping. GPS coordinates with "Survey Grade Accuracy" (+/- a couple centimeters) are established on the actual point in the center of the panel :nortonwhich is then used by the photogrammetrist to orient the aerial photo's to the regionally accepted horizontal / vertical coordinate system. Same application for those seen by travelers on paved routes that are painted on the asphalt along the sides of highways/streets, etc. A great deal more technical info to this brief explanation, but that becomes very boring in a real hurry.:bore
    NumberCruncher likes this.
  16. Valkiera

Valkiera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always a pleasure to ride along with you LB, thanks :nod
  17. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR, enjoying the pictures and the write up. Awesome :clap

I look forward to following along. I need to go treasure hunting for some more geocaches, it's a good time. :thumb
  18. tymetrvlr

tymetrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a good way to find new unusual spots to ride to!

:lurk
  19. surlywill

surlywill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    love the ride report :clap I too geocache. Last year found a cache while out riding and read the logbbook inside, went to the website and joined in. geocaching takes you to some interesting places. Here in Arizona its very popular. I build a route on the website and they have a nice feature that downloads caches along it. I might only pick up a few but its fun. Some of the micros can be tough to find, and just started on my first multi-puzzle cache. :lurk
  20. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Great to have you along again.

Thanks for the explanation about the crosses. Interesting knowing what they are all about.

One of these days we will be able to ride together in real life. :ricky It looks like I will be making a few trips over to your side of the mountains this summer. Once I know the dates I will let you know.

Thank you. Yes, it is a good time maybe this thread will get you out looking for more. :D

Hi, thanks for joining in. One of these days we need to go looking for a cache together. Maybe next weekend :evil

That's a cool way to be introduced to geocaching. Like you I only pick up a few along the way. There are always way more available than what I look for. Arizona has a lot of those cool "designer" caches. The ones where a hider creates a pattern with the cache hides. When looking at them on the map they look like a flower, bug, or whatever.

Micros are buggers to find at times. I give up on them quickly if I don't find them. I don't like spending hours looking for a needle in a haystack. One guy I caches with when I first started had a time limit for how long he would look for a cache and if he didn't find it by the end of the time he moved on. For some I will only breifly look and others I take more time and work harder on it. If it looks like a cache is along a steep bank with loose terrain I will pass on it. There were a couple like that during this ride and it's just not worth taking the chance climbing into terrain that could be dangerous. I don't think anyone would place a cache that they think is in a dangerous area but what's safe for one person isn't for another. I'm a klutz so I know there are some places I just shouldn't go. :lol3

I'll be doing my first multi either tomorrow or next Sunday. I have one in my sights that needs to be found. I haven't done the multis in the past but it's now time to expand my game. :D
    gregoblv likes this.