another noob bumbles his way across these here United States

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sekalilagi, Oct 23, 2009.

1. sekalilagi

sekalilagi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the good fortune to be able to take some time off this July and went on my very first cross-country trip. That I got to do it on the Uly was all that much more fun! I hadn't thought much about filing a ride report since ...well I've never done it ....but with recent news I thought it'd be nice to share what a great adventure the Uly gave me. Add to that, my next long trip starts this weekend .... when some of us Buell riders head out to East Troy for an impromptu homecoming of sorts to show our support for Erik and the gang....

There was some sparse planning and I wasn't sure I had the physical stamina to ride out and back.....so step one was to get the bike out to San Francisco....
    stuck her on the trailer:
    [​IMG]

which only led to this:
    [​IMG]

at the ForwardAir terminal in Pittsburgh .....
  2. sekalilagi

Oddometer:
    prompt and early at the airport.... My 6.2oz tube of toothpaste makes it past the TSA gauntlet. That's Kevin dropping me off at the airport in Pittsburgh. Bike should be there Monday and with any luck, I'll be with the Mehta's tonight. I had swapped fortune cookies with a new friend because we seemed to like each others (!).... but my gift fortune has been what finally kicked started this trip after years of wishing, wondering and waffling....

this is the 'before' picture

[​IMG]

I'm the one with less-salt-more-pepper

[​IMG]
  3. sekalilagi

Oddometer:
    ...arrived in Oakland without incident. Met a couple of ladies on their way to see a new grandkid and flying for their very first time. I remember my first, I was three. It was an MSA 737; the last hop from Salt Lake to Oakland was on a 737-800. Boeing have dispensed with clamshell reverse-thrusters ... what a treat it was for the three-year-olds. My seat-mate, a college student from Berkley, had decided that morning to fly home and see mom. Wonder if he remembers his first time?
    [​IMG]..Utah...home of Donnie and Marie
  4. zadok

zadok Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. sekalilagi

Oddometer:
    this could be bad form for a ride report, but I'm starting another ride .... even now .....presently posting from my ex's in Athens, Ohio ...tomorrow there's a 6am departure for a meet with the boys in Columbus, Oh on our way to Milwaukee....

Back to this fun-in-July trip
    Sunday June 28....

Got in late last night and shacking up with some old friends. Missed the wee-one's birthday party. Kids grow quick, especially when it has been 5 years..... The pooch seems to remember me :clap
    This morning, a yummy home-cooked Indian breakfast, followed by a nap ... lunch at Burma Superstar (formerly Bagan) in Alameda .... chowhound-approved and quite yummy. Add a little slot car racing action and top it off with wholesome, vegan chocolate cakes at Julie's and you have the ingredient to chill-dom in place. Tonight (after another siesta) we head to Yoshi's (yeah Charlie Hunter played there) to catch Pancho Sanchez.

ForwardAir claims the bike is still scheduled to show up tomorrow; let's hope eh?

Nice view out the back 'yard' eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]