07 KTM EXC header - petcock clearance problem.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by cabnoir, Feb 19, 2013.

1. cabnoir

cabnoir Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a FMF header (stock one had a decent dent when I purchased the bike) and after installing it went to drop my Acerbis 6.6 gal. tank on and noticed the right side petcock contacting the header.

Does anyone know of a shorter profile petcock? Or any other suggestions?

Thank you!

[​IMG]
  2. NorCalslowpoke

NorCalslowpoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some thoughts from a non expert..

You have probably thought of this and want to avoid it...but How about a header modification, take the slight curve out of the header? You can start the cut at the rear weld/bracket.

Doubt this would work, but...can the original location of the petcock be capped and moved forward?. I know working with fuel tank plastics can be complex.

One more hare brained idea. Can you modify the bracket so that the header drops as low as possible and slightly raise the tank via spacers on the mounts?. Maybe a little nudge in each direction might be enough.

Lastly, even if you get it to work somehow, the pipe seems pretty close to the tank. Could the heat from the pipe ever melt/damage the tank being that close? maybe in a slow hot situation. I'd probably exhaust wrap that section no matter.

All of this seems like square peg round hole...I'd be inclined to go back to stock on the header.

Best of luck with it
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Engineer a dent to clear it with a BFH. :1drink

Seriously. Ding it slightly. 3/16 should be plenty.
  4. NorCalslowpoke

Oddometer:
    Hammer and exhaust wrap might be the simplest/best!

other than going back to stock header...

I'm no expert at all, but I'd like a bit more space between the plastic tank and exhaust header...KABOOM.

Cheers
  5. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    As already suggested on the other thread you posted.

Sell the FMF header (before you dent it :D).

Either buy a new OEM header, or freeze the dent out of the old OEM one (by filling the affected section with water). Either way, after doing this buy one of the Flatland racing guards. Doubly so if you freeze the dent out as the area will be weaker.

Also, unlike a 2-stroke pipe where depending on location it can rob power, the header dent in a 4-stroke is mostly cosmetic.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Which is why a lil one won't hurt anything. :freaky

Freeze out your old one as a spare.
  7. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    have a 90 degree fitting come out of the tank and relocate your petcock to and inline one, then you can can put it wherever you want...do a google search for inline petcock theres loads of variations out there
  8. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Other than it's a $400 header, assuming it's the Powerbomb .... I've seen plenty of used undented OEM headers for sale for $75.00.

The inline petcock is easy but I've never seen a 90 degree fitting with that hole spacing. I guess you could fab something.
  9. NorCalslowpoke

Oddometer:
    Nice one, that might work just fine...again I'd wrap the exhaust at that spot and/or fashion a simple heat shield.
  10. cabnoir

cabnoir Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input! Some good ideas. Anyone have a lead on where to get a short 90° fitting so that I don't have to bust out the TIG?
  11. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    what i would do is copy the plate in at least 1/4" to 1/2" aluminum , drill and tap the hole and mount a fitting like one of these (photos below) depending on how you want to attach the line coming out

the thread is 1/8 NPT make sure you have the right tap and treat the threads with sealing compound or plumbers thread tape, attach you line the other side, locate your new inline petcock/ valve and go for a ride

you can get whats below from any Harley/ custom bike/ hotrod/ jegs/ summit/ ebay store...search google for for 90 degree oil line fitting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]