Mikuni VM36 or 38

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by ejute, Sep 19, 2012.

1. ejute

ejute Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm about to take the plunge and order some new Mikuni carbs and would like some advice.
    I'm torn between VM36 or 38mm carbs? I have done some research and realise that the smaller carb. will give better low to mid range but?
    I currently run 40mm Bings on an 82 R100.
    Cheers
    Mark
  2. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
    The R90S runs 38mm dells which would, I think give similar performance, so personally I'd opt for the 38mm Mikunis.
    However, if you just run around town a lot, you'd never need the full throttle performance of the bigger carbs.
  3. edray

edray cascadian

Oddometer:
    i'm really enjoying the 38s on my 78 R100S. seems like big power throughout the range.. i've got san jose port and polished heads,dual plugged,elect. ign... lovin it. though terrible gas mileage, bout 30 mpg. i'm guessin.
    but when i crank it up, i really don't care about the mileage.. it's a great ride.
  4. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    edray, that's intersting, your drop in mileage. I'm running VM38s on my R100/7 and even with the extra power my mileage went from mid 30s to 40mpg. That's mixed freeway and around town.
    I love the throttle response as well as the overall power improvement. No I do not have before and after Dyno runs, just seat of the pants impressions.
    None of the anticipated drawbacks of poor low end or having to be extra carefull yanking the slides open. Definitely a change that will remain on the bike.
    Anybody want to buy some 32 Bings ? :D
  5. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Your bike has big port heads. R90S's have small port heads. 38mm carbs work great on small port 900's and 1000's. Sometimes I wonder if I might have liked 36's better on big port heads but I have never done a back to back comparison.
  6. ejute

ejute Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm just the oposite, I don't run around town much or commute, most of me riding is highway speed with as many twisties inbetween as I can muster.
  7. ejute

ejute Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried several times to email San Jose re: there Mikuni spigot but no reply!! I'm using some rubber adaptor/manifolds from Allens Performance in the UK. 52mm to 43mm.