$3/gal gas on it's way - make a difference?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Photog, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Couple years ago I was hurtin' for money and the scoot was the only way I could afford to ride. The Jeep was too expensive for me to run in town and the scoot gas bill was 1/2 the price of a monthly bus pass.

I'm back to hurtin' for money as I start paying down bills incurred during this last year's stint in the wheelchair.

(technically there hasn't been a point I HAVEN'T been hurting for money in the past year or so, come to think of it...)

Any of you gonna scooter through the next gas spike out of need or to say :fyyff to gas taking more of your money than you'd like? :ear
  2. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I travel on two wheels all the time, would do that if it gas were free or $10/gal. I don't have a scooter at the moment, but I do think they are pretty cool. I do have a DR250SE for around town (70-80mpg) and dual sport use:)

The only thing that annoys me is that the scoots capable of a long highway commute like mine get no better fuel mileage than my 120hp sport bike (mid 40's at 75-80mph).
  3. Lochsa

Lochsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly....I would be scooting to work, errands, etc if gas were free.....to much fun to pass up on.:D But I am sure that gas will be back to $3+ within a few months....it has already started its annual climb in my town.
  4. Jeffro115

Jeffro115 Redemption.

Oddometer:
    I'd ride no matter what the price of fuel, like said above. . . . .

I'm sure that I'd ride a lot more though!

At least that's a good thing.:lol3
  5. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    You think $3 is bad? we pay the equivilent to $8 a Gallon - that really smarts :cry
  6. Lochsa

Lochsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OUCH:eek1:eek1
  7. XPatriot

XPatriot Charges have been dropped

Oddometer:
    If I have to run an errand that requires a trip of more than 5 minutes, I'll wait till a nice day (above 30 deg. this time of the year) and go on the bike. I only drive a car if really necessary.
  8. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember that in England you wouldn't be hurting financially from medical problems. People go bankrupt in this country paying medical bills.
    As for the scooter i have a 25 mile commute each way i ride a Vespa GTS get 60+ miles to the gallon and ride year round because i really enjoy the ride.
  9. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    Also GR BR has useful public trans, and less insane commute distances.
  10. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    I plan on riding the Zuma to work as much as possible this summer. I got a mail route with the vehicle supplied, my seniority finally paid off when somebody retired.:rayof
    so now I don't have to drive my truck to work and I have a good place to park the scoot at work.
    my truck is going to stay parked unless I need it or go out to ride the dirtbike.
  11. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty disappointed in the gas mileage small scooters get. The Honda 50 Ruckus only gets 80-100 MPG on average--hell, my wife's Yamaha Serow 225 gets 75-80 MPG, will run 70+ and is actually dirt worthy. I was going to buy a small Ruckus until I learned about the miserable gas mileage.

What Honda needs to do is bring the Cub 50 back to America. With the U. S. rapidly on it's way to becoming a third world country a bike like this is badly needed.
  12. mercurial

mercurial Fully Automatic

Oddometer:
    I'm bicycling a lot more than I used to. Gets X miles to the powerbar as they say. And it fulfuills the exercise function. And its fun.

CVT's lack of a neutral hurts its economy, true. But its still decent and is fun and easy to ride.

Frankly I wonder how many mpgs you would recover killing the engine at stoplights.

A 125cc should get 85-95. The CT90s and cubs get killer mileage.
  13. ClayLR

ClayLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've joked for years about the Ped-Mo, ie the opposite of a Mo-Ped. The problem with the bicycle or the 49cc moped around here is you'll just get run over. What I need is an engine with a pedal THROTTLE. You can buy 30-40 hp, but to get em you got to push the cranks. You can only go as fast as you pedal. Still get the exercise, but without getting run over.

just a joke, but hey there's got to be a way.
  14. mercurial

mercurial Fully Automatic

Oddometer:
    I'm bicycling a lot more than I used to. Gets X miles to the powerbar as they say. And it fulfuills the exercise function. And its fun.

CVT's lack of a neutral hurts its economy, true. But its still decent and is fun and easy to ride.

Frankly I wonder how many mpgs you would recover killing the engine at stoplights.

A 125cc should get 85-95. The CT90s and cubs get killer mileage.
  15. Lochsa

Lochsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've started walking a lot more to work with my son who's elementary school is right next door to my office. I find it relaxes me and helps me keep weight off. I have lost 20 pounds this year not all from walking but it don't hurt. Of course it helps I am only two miles from work. :D

I expect to see a lot more 2 wheeled vehicles at work this year....they recenlty expanded the office but did not expand the parking lot. Now they realize their error and are ripping up most of the existing parking to put in a double decker parking garage. If your not walking or riding two wheeled transport your screwed for the next year or so. :eek1