Why do riders park their bikes on sidewalks at hotels?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Disco Stu, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I asked this sorta off-topic in a different thread and got a snarky reply, so I'll start a thread.

I've never understood why motorcyclists park their bikes on the sidewalks next to their hotel rooms, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. I've always thought it was disrespectful of other guests, but I'd like to hear other's opinions.

Are you parking your bike next to your room because you think the bike will get stolen/vandalized? If so, is it because you're staying in a bad area? Or you've had personal experiences in the past with your bikes being screwed with at hotels?

If your parking on the sidewalk because of the rain, are you afraid that your bike will malfunction if it gets wet? Do you park your bike there, but still ride in the rain, or do you take the morning off until the roads are dry?

I'm genuinely interested in understanding why people think it's acceptable to park their vehicles on the sidewalk.
  2. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    Availability of parking? IDK.
  3. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Maybe they're too lazy to walk a few dozen yards from the parking lot? Maybe they're too morbidly obese to be able to do so? Maybe they're so narcissistic that they have to park their big shiny bike up front where everyone will have to look at it? :hmmmmm
  4. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just roll mine into the room with me...
  5. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    +1
  6. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see it at stores and restaurants as well. Mostly the weekend warrior pirate types.
  7. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I do park as close as possible where I'm going to. What's your problem with that?
  8. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    +1 on the above comment.
  9. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Depends on what's acceptable where.

Here, if a baby buggy can pass, parking on the sidewalk is legal and encouraged because it leaves more space for cars.

In the US, I have no idea. I would be inclined to park my bike next to the room so I could hear if anyone was messing with it.
  10. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    I like to park as close as possible to my room so I can hear if someone decides they need my bike, or something on it, more than I do.
    Unless it's a 1st floor room, then, in it goes.

CW
  11. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel n00bish

Oddometer:
    I park on the sidewalk at the market, its usually because I'm in and out in a few minutes.

I do not park where people go in and out, its always off to the side.
  12. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    By 'close as possible', do you mean that you pick a close parking spot, or you hop up on the sidewalk and park right outside the building? Or at a hotel, hop up on the sidewalk and park under the overhang right outside your hotel room?

If you just park in a close parking spot, i have no 'problem' with that.

IF you park on the sidewalk, I'm asking why? You wouldn't drive your car up on a sidewalk and park there, so what is it about the vehicle being a motorcycle that makes the rider feel like it's okay or necessary to park on a walkway?
  13. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    I dont park on sidewalks at stores etc, but I have been to some shady towns and parked on the sidewalk at the hotel/motel so the front desk could see the bike. I never block the whole sidewalk, if theres room to park there I will and I always ask the person at the front desk if its ok.

Lots of times we are rolling into the hotel late and all the spots are nearly taken except for the ones out back in the dark, I'd rather come out to find my bike still there in the morning.
  14. birds

birds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just like any other situation, you have to play it by ear.

Usually I Park the bike as close as possible to hear anyone messing with it. Do I know it's a bad area from previous experience? No, but sometimes you get that idea about a place the first time you're there, or maybe you just don't want to take the chance.

Also, yes I have taken my bike onto the sidewalk out of the rain after riding in the rain for hours. Does that make any sense? Possibly. Why would I leave it out in the rain if there is readily available shelter right there?

If it's going to be in other people's way then I leave it where it is. Usually that's not the case.
  15. soggysandwich

soggysandwich Banned

Oddometer:

who the fuck are you ?...the "Sidewalk Police" ?

mine your own business ,,,
  16. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I asked a question in a polite manner, looking for insight, not trying to start a flame war. Please note that this isn't in JoeMomma, so if you don't like the thread there's no reason to get hostile.

I'm asking this because 1) i don't do it and am curious why other people do and 2) There are lots of other threads about people getting angry at riders because of loud pipes, stunting on the highways, etc and this seems to be a practice that some people think 'WTF do they do that?'
  17. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight. I've pulled my bike under the cover before when loading in the morning and it's raining, since my side cases are top-loading. Since no one was around and I was only there five minutes, i don't think i inconvenienced anyone.
  18. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Hotel parking lots a known areas for vehicles to be stolen and broken into. Thieves know people are passing through and are not familiar with the area, and the cars are likely to be loaded with goodies.

I would park the bike close to the room so I could see it from the room. If there is a parking spot, I'll use that though.
  19. kels

kels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably because it rained everday on the way to Sturgis
    and the Best Western is motorcycle friendly for the most part.
    You would be amazed at how many big bikes can be parked
    under the entrance at the best western in Ogallala Neb:rofl
    Yeah, my trike got wet.
  20. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At a large mall I will pull it up onto the sidewalk around the building. They're usually 15 - 20 feet wide and in no ones way.
    A lot better than parking it among 300 cars where it can be broken into or damaged.
    And I do this what ever bike I happen to be on at the time...
    So no it's not a cruiser thing.

But.... I fail to see why you would give a damn.
    Seems to me the op is just looking for another reason to slam anyone (on a cruiser (I won't say Harley, no I won't) ) who likes to protect their belongings.