Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    File this under WTF?!
    [​IMG]
    165mm stem?! :eek1

M
  2. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't know such a critter existed.
  3. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Caption said 'custon made.'

Uhh yeah. I'd say!

M
  4. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    I got to ride for the first time since Dec 5th (according to Strava [don't hate]) and it was a blast! I actually got two rides in this weekend. That'll happen when it is 70 degrees in mid-January and there is no family obligations to meet. Although I feel pretty good right now, I am betting I will be stiff as a 2x4 tomorrow when I wake up. First ride was 5 miles at the local semi-flat trail. Then 8 miles Sunday at a new trail here in town. The Sunday one had mud in places I have never seen before, so it was a dirty fun mess!

Quick question. I noticed Saturday that the bike is moaning or squeaking a good bit. It seems to be from somewhere below me, so I am guessing the crank :dunno Does that just mean I need to clean and lube it really well? I normally hose it off after every ride or two. Probably need to double check to see if there is any grime stuck in there.

Or just use my "one-year of free maintanance" from the LBS since I bought the bike new and let them figure it out. :1drink
  5. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    If you have to ask, I'd say 'take it to the shop.' Right now, they shouldn't be too busy.

If you need the bike ASAP, lube up the chain (and make sure to wipe the excess off!) and see if that helps. If not, then start looking at the BB/crank area. There's an off chance its the QRs that aren't quite tight enough.

Noises are a bitch to track down sometimes. :nod

M
  6. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had that happen twice. Each time I could swear the creaking sound was coming from the crank, when it was actually coming from the rear axle, which needed tightening.
  7. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gummie and Aurelius. It is definitely time for another lube, and I have not checked the rear axle to make sure it was tight, probably important!

While I am asking questions... My brakes sounds like a pack of hyenas whenever I touch them. Light pressure, full OMG I'm gonna DIE!!! pressure, whatever. They s.c.r.e.a.m. It seems like if I clean and sand the disks lightly the noise goes away, for about a mile. Then as soon as some dust gets on there it is right back to howling. I realize my bike is an "entry level' nice bike with lower level components(Trek Marlin) but still, I do not hear any other bikes when I am out riding.

Doesn't really matter though. They still lock up whenever I ask of them, so they have plenty of stopping power. And it lets those behind me know I am slowing :D
  8. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the semi-metallic pad material. My Stumpy does the same thing. Once, they wear out, I'm going to an organic pad.
  9. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    any mention of the bike and/or riders dimensions?
    if we're talking about someone of the GS size ranges with a high Ape Index, it might not be out of the question,...

i wouldn't be surprised if it's just another case of someone too fond of the frame they've got to get one that actually fits trying to kludge it into "sorta' fitting",... but it would be interesting to know more of the back story.

(heck, i've got 160mm stems on early MTBs, but i am a GS-sized guy with a high Ape Index, and MTB Top Tubes were shorter in the early days,...)

cheers!

10. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    It can't simply be a matter of organic vs. sintered brake pads. Both my Stumpjumper and Superfly 100 have alternated over time between noisy and quiet brakes. The brake pads on both bikes are factory originals.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here.
  12. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    And the latest in our government looking out for our best interests...

The NETRMA (North East Texas Regional Mobility Association, or something like that) is holding a meeting tomorrow to discuss whether or not to ban bicycles on a brand new toll road in my home town. This is not a toll road like most of you are used to. It is two lanes with a shoulders on each side as wide as a lane. This is a road built for the future, with not much traffic now but built with the ability to expand to multiple lanes going each direction in the future.

Anyway, due to the very large shoulders, low traffic, and gentle grades this is now one of the most popular roads in the area to ride on. Why someone thinks it is a good idea to ban bicycles is beyond me, especially in a region with some of the highest obesity rates in the state. Anyway, if any one reading this can be there, the meeting is at 1:30 PM January 22, 2013 at:

Baymont Inn
    410 Hwy 79 South
    Henderson, TX 75654

To my knowledge the only roads prohibited from bicycles in Texas are those part of the Federal Interstate System. Everywhere else they have full rights of other vehicles. Due to that I do not know what authority the NETRMA has to do this, but I suspect since the meeting is called they think they can.
  13. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    I can now add NYC to the list of cities I have ridden in.

...and kicked a cab in. :eek1:lol3
  14. Weirdo

Weirdo Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer:
    The BB 30 and the BB 30 press fit (PF 30) bottom brackets are more than a little different and now I have both. The PF 30 is pissing me off.

Creak....Creak....Creak.... and I can't get the fucking thing apart.
  15. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I've heard both grease and green loctite to cure that. :dunno since I don't have a PF30.

I DO need to pull my BB30 BB apart and re-grease it. I'm starting to get some noise down there.

M
  16. Weirdo

Weirdo Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer:

Yeah, I can pull my BB 30 apart, drunk, in the dark, clean and grease it and have it back together and torqued in about 20 minutes. This PF 30 is a different animal.

I'm not getting it. :confused
  17. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
  18. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
  19. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Anybody using their phone for a cycling computer?
    I started thinking about this last year, and never bothered to research it. I'm certain it's already out there. I figure I already carry it, and had thought about using the GPS and map for rides that go out a little further than usual, all I'd need is a mount for it. And if I'm going that far, I'm sure it could do double duty and replace the little pos cadence/speedo counter I have on the bike now. I'm also sure I could find something that would let me use a chest strap heart rate monitor as well. Then I start to get a head ache and forget about it. :lol3

So who can recommend a way to tie my smart phone in with a HRM, and a cadence sensor. The rest is already covered. :ear
  20. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I've used both my old first gen Droid and my iPhone4.
    Lately I've used Strava.
    And have toyed with using MotionX GPS.
    Since my bike isn't where I am and even if it was all I'd do is worry it was still in my room when I got back I don't know yet abut the MXGPS thing. It says it can connect to a HRSensor. Doesn't have any cycle specific toys, So, you could just make up your cadence and gigajoule energy output. I guess.
    The single suck factor I've experienced with using the phone is it eats the battery quick. That damned Motorola Droid would suck the battery dry in about two hours with the GPS hunting its way around. The iPhone lasts about 7, or did when I could go that long. Now, I'm at a bit over a half hour so no worries. I don't listen to music when I run or ride. I have enough going on remembering not to puke on myself, and that the big flat hard thing is the ground.
    Of course with Strava you have the added problem of always chasing some virtual rabbit out there in the ether who is forever bettering your times.:lol3