Great Spacecoaster dualsporting

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Kommando, Jan 21, 2012.

1. bdolnik

bdolnik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went out riding on Saturday and put together a quick video. Hope you enjoy...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LxVrw2N0j4A" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  2. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

I still have to wire in one of my new 12V receptacles to power my margarita blender and 12" Plasma LCD on the trails, but I already have the thing mounted. I should be ready to ride/blend by Saturday.
  3. flwindsurf

flwindsurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When's the next hard pack ride? Great videos bdolnik! :clap
  4. bdolnik

bdolnik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Just picked up a used Tiger 800 XC so I'm good now for long distances on that, or local trails with the 250, or if I ever get these new tires installed (Bob), I might even be able to get the Tiger dirty.

I took the Tiger over to the West Coast this weekend, and stopped in at River Ranch for breakfast (great buffet). I was just looking at Google maps and there seem to be some cool looking gravel roads all around this area, might be a good hard pack type ride? Is that what you had in mind, or can you not do any kind of dirt?

[​IMG]
  5. FootDoc

FootDoc Gas it

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Looks like Ill be moving to Cocoa Beach this Fall.
    Hoping to meet up with you guys and put some miles on the TW.
  6. bdolnik

bdolnik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome, we need some new blood to get this little group going again.
  7. Hurley959

Hurley959 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need some riding buddies too! I'm on the Eastern edge of Orlando....Cocoa is a pretty short jog out. I have a 640A and want to do some exploring. Ocala National Forest is getting old!
  8. Rambo1

Rambo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great video... how much does your bike weigh? and what tank bag is that? thanks :freaky:
  9. bdolnik

bdolnik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume you talking to me since I'm the only one posting videos... lol

The 250 weighs in at a hefty 320 lbs!

Lot's of people complain about the weight when they look at the specs, but honestly once you get on it you'd be hard pressed to really say it's heavy. Almost seems light to me, especially after getting off the Tiger :D

The tank bag I use is the Joe Rocket Manta. It fits great on both bikes so I'm very happy with it.
  10. bdolnik

bdolnik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hurley you should come on over some time, but I gotta tell you if you are bored with Ocala we aren't going to have a whole lot to keep your interest over here!

We tend to have smaller areas that are more spread out. I'm up for some riding this weekend if anyone wants to go. I've been staying away from the Valkaria area because it tends to be under water with any rain at all, but hasn't been too bad lately so might be worth checking out.
  11. Rambo1

Rambo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yep, thanks for the reply... :freaky
  12. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey riders,

BDolnick and I are meeting up for an after-breakfast ride, Saturday around 7AM at the diner on the south side of Palm Bay Rd by Troutman Blvd., if anybody wants to ride southern Brevard Cnty. At least a front semi-knob is recommended, but not absolutely necessary. The proposed riding area was a bit challenging in some places for me on a DR650 with a full knobby on the front, and I actually got high-centered on the skid for a minute or so at one point. PM me if you're running late and I might be able to guide you to us via smartphone/gps.
  13. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    B, I'm not only putting another front knob on...I'm also ordering a front grab strap that bolts to my forks. :lol3

I'm bringing a longer tow-rope next time too. :evil

The rest of you riders, B and I were talking about doing another ride this 3-day weekend in the AM. Who's up for it?
  14. bdolnik

bdolnik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea I'm not totally sure a new front knob is what you need here :D

[​IMG]
  15. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whaaaaat?!

With another 24" of ground clearance and a fresh front knob, I feel pretty confident that I'd have made that no problem!

:lol3
  16. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    December is an awesome time for riding down here. It's fairly dry, the temperatures are cooler, and some of the underbrush is a little thinner.

IMO, a bike like the DR650 can be a great bike for down here. It's light enough to be run through the sand if you don't mind muscling it a bit, and it's enough bike to run interstate all day if you don't want to trailer.

Spacecoast is over by Kennedy Space Center. It's basically eastern Brevard County, from up north of Titusville to down south of Palm Bay. You could come over from Port Charlotte by riding 41S to 17/35N to 70E, then taking 70E to 441N to 60E or 192E, or 70E all the way out to I-95N. There is even a little Ural Motorcycle museum to see on 441, just south of 192. Three Lakes WMA is also along 441 and 60, and Bull Creek WMA is along 192 if you turn south at Crabgrass Rd. There is a small cemetery, that dates back to Civil War times, in the north part of Bull Creek WMA. Much of the Spacecoast area is about 3-3.5hrs from Port Charlotte.

Around Port Charlotte, I'd be tempted to check out the Cecil Webb WMA. Be mindful and considerate of hunting seasons in the winter though. I ride in hi-viz orange or green year-round, for several reasons. The WMAs are full of hunters through much of the winter. The Wildlife Refuges are good for staying away from the hunters, and the riding is typically exploratory and scenic, rather than technical. I see all kinds of birds, gators, pigs, manatees, and other critters in the winter while riding the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge. I'd also explore the sideroads along the Caloosahatchee River, to the southeast of Port Charlotte. The Everglades and Lake Okeechobee aren't very far away either, and winter python hunting could also be something you'd like to do in the 'Glades. To the north, a lot of us near Central FL ride Richloam, Croom, and/or Ocala NF. These are easy to access off of I-75, with Richloam and Croom being about 2.5hrs away, and Ocala NF being about 3hrs from Port Charlotte. There are also a few paved hills in the state if you wander over to Fisheating Creek Outpost on Bermont Rd, or Lake Placid on 70E, and take 27N to Haines City, exploring interesting sideroads as you go. I found some interesting clay sideroads around the groves over there, and the hills around the lakes are fun, paved or not.

BDolnick and I find a lot of routes by word of mouth, perusing Google Maps, and by following up on "Hmm...I wonder where that little road goes.".

Give us a holler when you come down. Some of the Sand Fleas probably know that part of the state pretty well, or they can show you around Richloam, Croom, or Ocala NF better than I could. Bring a sand-capable front knob to make the dirt easier. The MT21, IRC TR8, and Pirelli XCMH are popular DOT front knobs down here. Be warned, some of the residents can ride a bit fast in the sand and palmettos, and you could lose them at forks in the trail. :eek1 Make sure your horn works and bring a cellphone. :D Beware of drivers down here too. Do NOT trust them to drive sensibly. They turn their brains off when they get behind the wheel.
  17. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the 784 doesn't work out for you, I usually have a few spare 21" knobbies laying around the garage that you can try.
  18. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm riding Saturday morning, barring thunderstorms, if anybody is up for a ride. I may head down by Lake Okeechobee, as I have never seen it. 192W out to 441S looks like a good route down.
  19. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    As remember the lake has a big berm around it. Might have to get close in one of the parks.
  20. bdolnik

bdolnik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Bob I'd like to go but have other plans this weekend. Be up for it next weekend though.