Bmw R1100s

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by elementalg20, Mar 8, 2009.

1. elementalg20

elementalg20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a bike I'm sort of considering for a future purchase. I'm coming from a 99' VFR800(owned a 96' 750 too) and would like something different on the next go around. I like the idea of the low maintence shaft drive, and the benefit of the anti-dive front end(especially for 2up riding). I'm wondering how the ergo's compare as I'd like something that is equally or more so comfy as my VFR was, it had heli-bars and a sargent seat with an ST windscreen and overall was a comfy solo ride that would make do for 2up riding. I hope with perhaps similiar changes and the addition of a trunk or backrest the R1100s would be a slight improvement, and the additional low end grunt I'd expect from the boxer would be nice, I would have gladly traded a little of the upper rpm power of the vfr for a little low end for my 2up travels. Any input one way or the other would be great, thanks!
  2. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have owned both bikes, a 2000 VFR and a 2002 R1100S. You will like the S. The ergos are nearly the same on both bikes but the S is a bit more visceral a bike. No where near as smooth as the VFR and down a bit on power although top speed, given enough room, is not all that different. Either will top 140 but the VFR might have 8-10 mph on the S. Not a big deal in the overall scheme of things.

Both bikes respond very well to suspension upgrades. Ohlins in the case of the BMW. A worthwhile investment albeit an expensive one. Try, if you can, to get a 'prep' model of the S. It comes with better shocks and a bit more ground clearance.

I never really had any issues with low end grunt on the VFR, even two up. The S is geared pretty tall so there really isn't all that much difference.

When it comes to riding the twisties, it will be much more about the rider than the bike as to who winds up in front after a few miles. The S may be a tad lighter and with the bars atop the triple a bit more comfortable although I always prefereed the low bar configuration.

Two BMW bags and a set of city lids should provide all the luggage capacity you need. The city lids for solo, regular or even large lids for 2 up. I never though about a top case and probably wouldn't mount one on the S. BMW doesn't make one and a big Givi would look fugly on the thing.
  3. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    elemental, Good thoughts from shovelstroke. Owned an R1100S for many fine years, and it delivered many great rides without a single reliability issue. It's a great bike. Recently picked up an '01 VFR. It's a great bike. Coincidently thought to myself today, how power-wise the VFR reminds me of the 11S. You will be able to make the 11S comfy. You will like its anti-dive telelever, the shaft drive, the possible BMW amenities like heated grips, ABS, gear indicator, etc... and appearance wise, that drop dead gorgeous single sided deep dish rear wheel with the underseat exhaust. But there are reasons the VFR is legendary. Dang is it a great bike. What a carefully thought out and refined bike. And that V-4 engine. My oh my. Net, the R1100S will give you something different, the anti-dive, the shaft drive, air-cooled simplicity, etc... and quite probably, this is the slight improvement you're looking for.

[​IMG]
  4. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    how do they compare for mileage/range
  5. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    The 11S would have the consumption edge, but the tank is not large and the VFR would have the range edge.
    jhelester likes this.
  6. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:
    In stock shape, I've regularly gotten 44 mpg hauling the mail or flower sniffing on the R11S. Had a few tankfulls avg above 50. My range rule is to watch for stations after 175 miles, probably have one by 190, and if lucky, can roll in on fumes at as much as 200 safely. Some days I find that's pushing it, other days not.

For ergos you can buy peg-lowering kits and Rapid Dog's (ADVer!) barbacks. They do the most for you. Variety of windshields are available and there is a general preference that the lower sport windshield seems to keep the clean air from buffetting the helmet better than the touring shield.

Somewhat quirky, but great machines. The sportier yellow shocks and steering dampers found on Prep and Replika's are over-rated, IMO, but the shorter torque arms on them are not if you like sport-riding. Torque arms can be scored for pretty cheap, since they were a stock part for the GS and the S preps. They provide the ground-clearance, though unless you are a regular knee-dragger, you won't be dragging hard parts often with standard model components. If you really favor ride quality, shock upgrades can be made, like any bike. But searching down a prep model isn't necessary when you can just drop $50 on torque arm and spend bigger money on suspension that actually makes a significant difference.

I would recommnend heated grips and BMW luggage. If you want ABS you can get it. The early version (ABS II) sucks, IMO. And the later ('03-on) Evo-style are quirky in their own way, but work bettter. I like my non-ABS bike more than the ABS II that I have. Finding a good tankbag to hug the off-center tank is tough. The BMW tankbag is overpriced and has a poor design.

It's not sportbike-fast and they don't top 135 without mods or gravity-assist. They can move through tight and bumpy corners very well and the telelever lets me brake later than most bikes, allowing me to get away with a lot more than I should. Deep down I want a faster bike, but it's hard for me to give up the comfort it provides.
  7. elementalg20

Oddometer:
    I really like the half nekkid look it has going on as well. I'm not sure if this would be 'thee' bike for me but I think it deserves to be in the running for sure. I'd sort of like to find something slightly less comprismised in the comfort department, would love to keep the shaft drive, but not jump up to the FJR range of bikes. Not to knock them, I sort of want an FJR but its such a departure from what I'm used to in addition to the wife thinking it looks like a 55yr olds bike(I'm 26). I've looked into the K1200rs/gt's but hell they are heavier(around the 98-03's) than an FJR. If I decide to stick with chain drive I have to admit that new bandit 1250 seems like a hell of a bargain on the used market, as does the aprilia futura........
  8. bill pierce

bill pierce I don't wana pickle

Oddometer:
    I have been riding on the street since 1975. Needless to say I've had a bunch of bike (all flavors) over the years.

The R1100s is my all time favorite. As stated it's a great all around bike. 500 mile days are no problem. slap hard bags on it and go anywhere. or leave em off and go rip the twisties. Handling is superb especially after the up grade to Ohlins.

The only downfall is even with 48-50 MPG I'm looking for gas at 150 miles or so. Have gone 175 on a tank but that's pushing it.

There are some things you should check out before buying. Do a search and ask questions here for the best feedback.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24

Oh and kids like em too
    [​IMG]
    DCrider and theandy like this.
  9. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I have a 05 BCR. It is too long & turns too slow. 600CC sportbikes can eat my lunch all day long. My 1200 Adventure is much more comforatable, almost as fast in a straight line and I swear I can get through the twistys just as fast on it as the BCR.

The BCR is really pretty though. Beautiful looking bike even 10 years after their intro.

The price is really cheap on them too.

Mine has almost 3,000 miles on it. Since I like looking at it more than riding it I have been thinking of draining the fluids & giving it a place in the living room.
    DCrider likes this.
  10. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:
    You need tighter twisties. :deal

True that a GS can do a lot of what an S will. The fairing's functionality, the sportier stance and styling, and the price make it fit in my garage.

There's a lot of good bikes out there, elemental. Try to get a test ride on what you like before you decide. They can make all the difference. The link bill provided will assist you if you take advantage of it.
  11. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen 1200GSAs carve up sportsbikes on twisty roads, especially if the road surface is less than perfect.
    My BCR is magic on a twisty road, as good, if not better than anything else I have ridden in the last 10 years.
    Anything that can put a smile on your face as wide as the moon everytime you ride it must be good.
    As for being cheap, not in Australia. Only 31 in total came here in 3 years, 03/04/05. 17-18K will get you a 10000m/16000klm bike.
    Mine is a Dec04 model which means its an 04, not an 05. Only one 05 plated BCR came to Australia.
    I agree totally with the looks. I can just sit and look at mine for hours, its a beautiful thing to behold.:freaky

And here it is:
    [​IMG]
  12. stormcloud

stormcloud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a great site:
    http://www.boxertrix.com/

I too have owned a VFR800 and now a R1100S. Very different experiences, both V.good. I agree with the statements early in this thread.
  13. kutch

kutch That fell off where?

Oddometer:
    Hows the 11s for occasional 2^ riding?
  14. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned a 99 S (repainted a couple years ago to BCR colors) since new which now has about 50K miles. One of my all-time favorites.

[​IMG]

While both the VFR and S are basically aimed at the same sport-touring mission, they couldn't be much more different: torquey twin vs. V4, telelever vs. forks, longitudinal vs. traverse crank, dry clutch vs. wet clutch, shaft vs. chain, throbby vs. turbiney, Euro vs. Japanese, etc. etc. etc. I like the BMW better, but it wouldn't be because I think it is objectively the better bike - I simply like the character of the BMW better. And I'd be hard-pressed to say the BMW is more comfortable. Again, they're just.... different.

Honestly, if you really want to step up to more comfort, range, and two-up capability, bite the bullet, accept that there is nothing wrong with pipes and slippers, and get a FJR. They're magic carpet rides. They're not quite as sharp, but they're still very capable. With the electric shield and roomier ergos, they're just in a whole different league comfort-wise. And they have a velvet hammer of an engine.

- Mark
  15. elementalg20

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've often reverted to the FJR as a bike that would suit my needs well, even if a bit more on the touring side than I hope to go. But with one major caveat, the wife for what ever reason has decided she hates the looks of it. I'm not 'wild' about it but I'm often more the spec sheet guru than strictly a looks kinda guy. I'm also looking more and more at the 'older' K1200RS/GT bikes, they are a bit heavy but have some nice features, good power and seem to be available at reasonable prices.
  16. bill pierce

Oddometer:
    fine as long as the passenger is not too large. There are kits to lower both front and rear pegs.
  17. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:

Interesting Bigem

The US BCRs were Randy Mamola white & blue bikes in 03 & 04. Those years there were only 300 made (not certain if that is US or world wide) they all have a badge on the upper triple clamp that states xxx/300. In 03 & 04 you could get ABS & heated grips as options. The 03 & 04 bikes have mirrors mounted on the fairings where those carbon fiber plugs are on yours.

Our last year for BCR was 05. These were the only Red White & Blue versions we got. They are not badged. I have heard they made as many as 1500 & as few as 300. I have no idea. Since it was the last of a model I assume they were going to make as many as they could sell & not make it limited. The 05s were not available with ABS or heated grips. Our 05s also had the handlebar mounted mirrors like yours.

People tend to like the 03 & 04 white & blue models more so here than the 05s. Most people that buy BMWs in the states want ABS. I think the 05s value was hurt because of this.

Here is mine.

[​IMG]
    DCrider likes this.
  18. bill pierce

Oddometer:
    That just might be the most beautiful bike BMW ever made.
  19. White Tenere

White Tenere 49 years on two wheels

Oddometer:
    That thing doesn't even look ridden....LOL
  20. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    As for VFR's and S's I have owned a 94 VFR, a 99 R1100S and a 2005 VFR. The VFR and the S are similar yet very different bikes. The Boxer motor is an acquired taste, I owned three different versions of the boxers. The 1100s series has a number of well known big mechanical issues. Many bikes don't have these issues, some do, my S had them all. Go to the Pelican Parts forum and you can learn a lot from a group of folks who really love the S series.

It is a fun bike for big sweepers; it is slow and cumbersome in tight stuff and slow speeds. Its looks are to die for. It has very very limited fuel range. The hard bags are nice but monster wide in the S series due to the under seat cans. General maintenance is a snap compared to any version VFR. Every S needs front and rear shock upgrades within 20K miles if you plan on any real cornering with it. It has a great bunch of after market support.