Mile Markers "Crack Down"?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by psycleboy, Feb 12, 2014.

1. psycleboy

psycleboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, so I got a bit of a lecture from a ranger on Saturday... Started with me not having my plate mounted to the bike, then progressed into illegal single track and how bikes are the worst offenders. "they're going to shut this whole area down, this is coming from Washington, desert tortoise habitat etc..." According to this guy, he has personally logged over 65 miles of illegal single track between mile marker 4 and Wickenburg (we parked near MM18). Now, I'm not a fan of blazing through the desert off existing trails, but how are we supposed to know what is allowed? How many times have you gotten to the end of some trail and noticed a route closed sign that wasn't at the beginning? Sorry if I sound whiney, I'm just a bit confused...
  2. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    What is his name ? Where is your plate ?
  3. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    I hear ya
    between gps/iphone and some printed maps and being retarded
    i got lost :eek1 by the time i found my way back to tarmac following what seemed to be open trails i came upon a barbwire fence and a sign that the trail was closed ?? well i had to get out and i was fully expecting a ranger to roll up

i managed to get the bike to the tarmac and looked back at the river bottom

i had not been the only one in that area on wheels by a longshot

i also notice a lot of the trail closed post are cut down (sometimes with bullets) by people but apparently you can still get up to a 2k fine if your caught on a closed trail ???

i think 4 wheelers are way worse i try to stick to trails vs plowing off into the desert if for no other reason it's a pain to forge new trails on a bike but a quad no problemo
  4. psycleboy

psycleboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No idea what the guy's name was (I just kinda referred to him as Rambo, big dude, bullet proof vest, 6 extra clips for his Glock). Plate was in my camelback, I'm legal as far as OHV tag, but never mounted it to the bike. Made his rounds, going from us to a group of ATR guys, then the older fellas on DRZ's, same story every time.
  5. agavelvr

agavelvr Banned

Oddometer:
    So what agency was it...BLM Ranger, Game and Fish, Jeff aka Bolt in LEO drag?
  6. Dozer720

Dozer720 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did he stop you, at the staging area or on the trail? I have never seen a LEO out on the trails over there.
  7. psycleboy

psycleboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ranger, sorry I wasn't more observant but I learned a long time ago that when dealing with officers of the law limit eye contact, don't ask question and answer with yes sir/ no sir. We had just pulled into the parking area when he came rolling in (full size dodge pickup). He wasn't necessarily a bad guy or anything, just doing his job I suppose. Just left me confused about what is legal single track, there's tons of trails out there some had trail markers that I've noticed are gone now, some not clearly marked. Oh, he also said he uses his bike to check on the trails, so I imagine he could theoretically ticket you out there.
  8. WantToRideMoar

WantToRideMoar Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Typical government. Vandalism of signs is awful and I'm not condoning it, but here's a typical government reaction to go and harass and fine a law abiding person, rather than sending a work crew out (using the funds paid into the budget by the law abiding person vis-a-vis the bike registration and OHV tag) to repair the damage.

Ranger with 6 magazines for a handgun is carrying $150 worth of hollowpoint ammunition. Sounds like the money needs to be re-earmarked for trail maintenance, rather than harassing folks.
  9. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    Federal hydroshock is 20.00 for 20 rounds (in 9mm). Assuming 15 round mags, but you don't carry full load, that's 98 rounds. Call it 100. That's 100.00 worth of hollow points. Personally, I'd carry 2 spare mags for the side arm and put the soft point resources into my carbine. 6 spares for a side arm would suck to carry around all day!

;-)
  10. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    thats opposite the way i do it...
  11. seabee1

Oddometer:
    Yep. I always maintain eye contact. Otherwise I'd feel like an abused dog. :rofl
  12. psycleboy

psycleboy Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yeah, the guy I was with was arguing with Mr. Ranger about the mess shooters leave behind being worse. Agree or not I had to ask him to chill out while my plate wasn't in my possession. I have an ingrained fear of cops...
  13. seabee1

Oddometer:
    You were right there. Arguing is rarely productive.
  14. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    well now i certainly dont argue,,,,

i find i get respect and professionalism when i give it.

some cops are just pricks, but most are very cool people with a pretty stressfull job.
  15. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    :lol3:clap:rofl

BOLT in LEO drag... with properly mounted plate... chasin speeders:

[​IMG]

Sounds like Grumpy aka RAMBO has an agenda... I doubt he's seen 65 miles of singe track in his life... legal or illegal.
  16. psycleboy

psycleboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, forgot to mention his reason for mounting the plate-- "It'll be easier for me to find your bike if it gets stolen". Now, if someone is dumb enough to steal a clapped-out 9 year old gas gas , maybe they'd also be dumb enough to leave my plate on and go out riding?
  17. rockohlic

rockohlic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "illegal" single track. we need a way to make it medically necessary.
    Unless they; Rambo rangers are willing to mark every trail intersection then they have nothing! tell em to foff! and hope they are not as fast as you. after all no plate, no way to knock on your door!

BTW, why did you not get out of you chair the whole time? were you hiding something sitting there in your underpants. gotta thing for authority? I have seen the flogging devices your wife has.:wink:

Oh and I can't go riding today. Sorry but got an e-mail from chas Roberts last night and they have my mechanical plans done! how bout sat or sun?
  18. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    From what I was told in less it is marked OPEN it is CLOSED To me that sounds like selective inforcement
  19. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. psycleboy

psycleboy Adventurer

Oddometer:

I need new friends...:fyyff