KLX700 Project

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Fogo72, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Fogo72

Fogo72 I Bleed Green

Oddometer:
    Well guys, its an idea that we have been kickin around the shed for some years. To take a KLX650R engine out to 700cc with a home made 3mm stroker crank while still allowing it to rev with the STD chome bore or put the 2mm oversize bigbore kit on it and take it out to 750cc.
    Junior piped up and said "Dad if you pull this off I will race it at Condo next year. So its all GO.
    Yesterday I pulled two old KLX650R's out of the scrap heap and got them stripped down to a bare frame.
    [​IMG]

Out of the 2 frames one is better than the other, I have sent both away to be sand blasted and crack tested then the one we choose to use as the race bike will be lightened as much as we can and the other will end up as Bike 3 for my son Mark who is 15 and soon to be inducted into the KLX losers hall of fame.
    Both frames we be painted in Kawa green to match the 2002 colours.
    [​IMG]

I had a meeting yesterday with the guy who is machining the crank about how he plans on going about this task.
    He is going to weld up the lower half of the Big end bore hole and rebore it 3mm off centre which will give it a extra stroke of 6mm overall taking it from 83 to 89mm and 100mm bore.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers Fogo...
    MotoSly likes this.
  2. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Fogo72

Fogo72 I Bleed Green

Oddometer:
    Last night I bought a set of forks and triple grips off a KX250F 2007 model out of the States for $400 and they are on their way.
    We plan on running a complete KX250F front end.
    I have been talking to a mob Overseas about purchasing a KTM690 2008 rally replica front fairing that we are going to graft onto the front of the bike. We want to get this part right as a lot of mods are going to be done and a lot of cutting, shutting and adding fiberglass. Then a final mould will be made of the finished product and all 5 bikes will end up with this front on it.
    Port and polished head
    41mm FCR carb
    New custom header pipe
    Race cams out of Kermit to go in.
    We still run the 17 litre Acerbis tank so the fairing has to fit around that some how.
    Meanwhile we have 3 second hand engines on the bench to disassemble and salvage to best we can for one good Donk.
    Cheers Fogo..
    MotoSly likes this.
  4. Thunder Dan

Thunder Dan I don't like wallabies...

Oddometer:
    It's official, you're weird :lol3

Na, this is awesome, really keen to see what Mr. R can do to that crank.

Cheers,

Dan. :D
  5. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    shit hot fogo. love a good build thread
  6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Wow what a great project. Any thoughts of lightning the rotating assembly on the race motor?
  7. Fogo72

Fogo72 I Bleed Green

Oddometer:
    I think we would have to be really carefull trying to take weight off the crank and balance weight, get it wrong and it vibrate to bits. Engine blue printers would be the people to see, maybe the guys who do all the Go cart race engines. But no endless budget here.
    We are going for the raised barrel idea instead of getting a shorter conrod made from Corrillo. I might get a base gasket cut out of stainless by a water jet and raise the barrel 2 mm and mill 1mm off the top of the piston to get a round the stroke difference, that way the crank angle wont change too much I have been told, and it decreases the side load on the trust sides of the liner.
  8. Quirky

Quirky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb:lurk
  9. Oz Nutter

Oz Nutter Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. dunc

dunc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    these might be different to the fairing your looking for as well
    just got to keep looking as its not in order lol
    fairing replica
  11. Doctor

Doctor Banned

Oddometer:
    How about a DR Safari tank and fairing :eek1

it would look fecking fast :evil
  12. Fogo72

Fogo72 I Bleed Green

Oddometer:
    The KLX has not got a single backbone frame so it wont fit.

Hey guys, I need to send a base gasket to somewhere that can scan it and cut some new ones out in a water jet, out of different thickness stainless sheet. like 1mm , 1.5mm and 2mm. Anyone know somewhere that has a water jet that could do that? :ear
  13. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try here Fogo. http://www.kilner.com.au/
  14. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    The company I work for has a laser division. I have seen some of their work including laser etching and it is pretty impressive.

http://www.rcrtom.com.au/index.php/our-business/energy/170-laser-cutting

They have a workshop in Sydney if that helps.

15. Doctor

Doctor Banned

Oddometer:
    once upon a time i knew a fellow that did just what you want to do :clap
    he cut a one piece alloy base gasket, it worked a treat and he did it by hand tools.
    it was a Kwaka 500 tripple :clap
    so alloy works well
  16. Doctor

Doctor Banned

Oddometer:
    once upon a time i knew a fellow that did just what you want to do :clap
    he cut a one piece alloy base gasket, it worked a treat and he did it by hand tools.
    it was a Kwaka 500 triple :clap
    so alloy works well :thumb
  17. Eric66

Eric66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who is doing ya crank Fogo? Ronnie?
    Regards Eric
  18. Fogo72

Fogo72 I Bleed Green

Oddometer:
    Well I have been looking for quite a while for someone to take it on, far and wide, when someone recomended a guy that lives on a farm about 20 klms away from me. I drive out there and was warned, what ever you do, dont swear, they are churchies.

Righto, I drive up the driveway to an old farm shed and an old guy shuffles out to meet me. I tell him of my intensions and hand him the crank, he laughs and said, "just go and buy yourself a CRF450" I said Nah I'm too loyal to these old pigs,
    "yeah I can do it no problems but how much money ya got young fella" he said. Well I'm on a bit of a budget for this I told him.
    "Leave it with me, $500 bucks"
    I follow him into this dingey shed to see wall to wall Mills and lathes, some old ,some the latest technogy. One lathe you could have swung a tug boat prop in, the chuck was so big.
    So as I got into the shed he stops in his tracks and swings head around on his shoulders to eyeball me in a weird and hazey glance and I see this little spakle in the corner of his eye as he said, " years ago I used to be right into this crazy sort of stuff with engines" as he chuckles.
    He puts the crank on a work bench as he slides a pile of shit to the side and looks at me and says, Thats a guy who is into chain saw racing and I have to make a cylinder head for him from scratch. Ha. :lol3

I have a new found friend.

Cheers Fogo..
    MotoSly likes this.
  19. Doctor

Doctor Banned

Oddometer:
    i have friends up that way that use such modified things , Ask him does he know a Neil or a Bill :ear
  20. Doctor

Doctor Banned

Oddometer:
    raised the barrels just on 2mm to optimise the port timing

[​IMG]