KY to CA Mid-March

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jeff_connors, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jeff_connors

jeff_connors Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really, really want to take this trip but did not want to do it mid-March. Southern KY to Monterrey CA. Kids plans sometimes don't consider parents riding weather!! I have never done a trip this ambitious. I don 't want to get in over my head. I'm in the process of putting together a heated jacket and have rain gear, GPS, bags....on an 06 V-Strom 650. What else should I consider?
  2. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Escential to happiness in adverse weather conditions while traveling.
    a. Dry feet.
    b. Dry hands.
    c. Dry crotch.
    The order of importance to these three items is irrelevant.If any of these three areas aren't dry , you won't be happy for long.
    I bought some Spock gloves about 7 years ago from Aerostitch. They go everywhere with me in the tank bag. They seem expensive, but dry hands in a steady downpour of any duration mean they're worth the price.
    Gore-tex boots. I've been using Tourmaster Solutions for years. Not just one pair, though. They work great until they stop working , then I replace them. Reatively inexpensive for lined boots , just over $100.
    I wear Aerostitch Denali pants. No need to stop and put on rain pants ever.
    To me that's the most important stuff. Another thing you'll like is a throttle lock. when you head across hundreds of miles of flat straight roads it's nice to relax the throttle hand.
    I also like to have three positions for my feet. If your passenger pegs are usable that makes two. Add some highway pegs that aren't too much of a strech and you're done.
    Be aware that elevation can be as much of a factor as the season as far as weather goes.
    Enjoy the ride !
  3. MOP

MOP Never stop exploring

Oddometer:
    +1, having ridden almost 700+ mi at a stretch soaking wet I have to agree.

Long days of ridding remove a lot of moisture from your body. Wearing wind proof gear like many of the rainproof textile paint/jacket/suit combos out there will help this a lot, but you will still want to drink a lot of water. A camel back or other drinking pack system is well worth the $30-50 in my opinion. My recent trip to historic Williamsburg, VA was the first time I took one on a trip, and I was surprised at what a difference it made in my and my wife's comfort. If you wear an open face helmet you might want to consider a cup holder, there's nothing like enjoying your favorite morning beverage at sunrise on some deserted piece of asphault. I used to drink coffee on my way to work via lead sled. A small cooler you can keep on the back seat is nice so you can pack some sandwich fix'ns, fruit, and fresh veggies then avoid the fast food, will make you feel better over the course of the trip too.

Take pictures & have fun!

YMMV