Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I want one!! Where exactly are they located? I looked at their website but no actual address was there.
    Tony in Tn
  2. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    While it looks fantastic, I can see that we are going to need the new

WR250 Land-Yacht Thread

:clap:lol3
  3. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tewster2 - Yes! I ordered the Madstad online last summer thinking it would be what they were showing on their website - the one with the TurboCity bracket. When it arrived, it was this new style system (what the hell is this?).

The install was a little tricky because my bike is setup with a Scotts under-bar damper with Renthal Fatbars. I pieced together some spacers and longer bar clamp bolts so the mounting plates were sitting on a solid surface. It would have been tricky with the TurboCity mounts too.

Long story short, I LOVE this windshield! The wind protection is excellent. I can run with my helmet shield up til ~50 mph. There's no buffeting even at full speed. The adjustability is great, but it works best for me at it's lowest and furthest back setting probably due to the higher bar setup. It's easy and quick to remove for tougher off-road rides. On rough two-track the system is rock solid - no rattles and not a lot of movement. If you tour on your WRR/WRX, this windshield is money well spent. We rode several 400-500 miles days on our 3 week tour out west this past summer and this windshield made all the difference.

Last I checked back in December, Madstad was still showing the old TurboCity based system on their website. They really need to update it. Yes, the folks at Madstad are great to deal with. We have a pair of WRXs sitting in my Mom's garage in South FL. We're definitely going to ride down to Madstad's shop on our next trip down there and have them installed on both bikes.
  4. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I paid $215 when I went to their shop. Install was free.
  5. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    MadStad Engineering
    20721 US Highway 301
    Dade City, FL 33523 U.S.A.
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha Maybe.....I'm looking forward to my first small bike tour of the U.S. in May...planning for about 8,000 miles so far. Trip video and report to follow to see if I am stupid or brilliant :)
  7. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I was a bit leary when they pulled out the parts and laid them on the workbench before the install. But after looking it over and seeing the finished system I was sold. Everything you say about the road manners of the system is right on. I'm very pleased with the purchase. I did tell them they needed to update their website too. Now too find a hitch for my 3 room pop up trailer...:lol3
  8. arctic954

arctic954 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

holy hell thats a long way on a WR. Even on a Vstrom that would be a long haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    There are guys that have more than 50K miles on them.
  10. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    70,000 is the highest mark I've seen reported, but were talking about a single trip, not the life of the bike with one owner.:D
  11. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi there folks, Im buying new plastic for the bike, and im looking for a decal/graphics set, does anyone have a good (cheap :evil) source? Preferably inside EU.

Thanks.
  12. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    I found the low stress way to travel long distance with the WR........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep I'm retired so have plenty of time. I've been riding big GS's for decades and now looking for something different. Heck I may even ride up to 62 miles a day :lol3
  14. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Ive got the same tail rack. Love it.
  15. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    It was about 7000 miles one way to Alaska on my wr250x, not a bad trip honestly. All of my big rides have been 6000-7000 miles and the little bike does great.
  16. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice. It is about 4200 miles from my house in western NC to Fairbanks. Should be a nice ride once I get everything dialed in.
  17. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Ive got the same tail rack. Love it"

How about a link for the bike carrier?
    Thanks
    Tony in Tn
  18. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    Tony-

It's a great carrier, but I don't recall the exact source. Some outfit in Florida. It's all steel. I don't trust aluminum, because it can fail by tearing without any warning. Steel (as long as it's not badly rusted or poorly welded) will almost always bend before failing.

It's extremely simple, with just the bike channel solidly bolted to the receiver bar. To keep it from bouncing around in the hitch receiver, it is supplied with a large bolt that goes into a captive nut inside the receiver bar. It makes for a super solid connection.

Something like these, but simpler:

http://www.amazon.com/Accessory-Rec...kcompar-20&ascsubtag=54b1ae9764261a0a9c804c5c

http://www.amazon.com/ALEKO%C2%AE-Mounted-Motorcycle-Carrier-Hauler/dp/B00B90GG1M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Y3SXGZMFC1AVWMA2MYG

If you do a Google search, it will probably come up.
  19. rhollamby

rhollamby Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ever burn oil?
  20. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes - with the right mods, they are excellent lightweight touring bikes