2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    I have the Ballistic Evo 2 8cell lithium. Shaved like 7.5lbs+ off the bike. I'm pretty positive it has a better kick to it in the cold than the stocker. It would fire the bike right up at 15 degrees.
  2. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    Bueller?
  3. O'Malley

O'Malley O'Malley

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dom.
  4. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    Thats awesome . VERY comforting. Maybe ill have the same luck...
  5. Black09JK

Black09JK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had my Sertao in for its first service today. $170. Yikes!

On the plus side, my TT pegs and bar risers were in. I got them installed this evening and can't wait to take the bike out after lunch tomorrow now. I'll have to hit some old dirt bike trails and see how the standing position has changed also.

The stock pegs are SO tiny.
    [​IMG]

I really want a steering damper now too.
    [​IMG]
  6. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    TT pegs alone will not achieve much, if you check the positioning they are still forward of the swing arm pivot point so you are still loading up the front every time you launch up onto the pegs. The pegs need to be relocated, check the Dakar bikes of all brands and note where their pegs are mounted
  7. bcinkc

bcinkc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lithium batteries are great, but not necessarily the best for cold weather. You have to have the key on for a few minutes for the battery to "wake up" in cold weather. I thought that my battery was dead any time it dropped below 40 degrees until I figured this little trick out. It's very counter-intuitive that you have to leave the key on if the bike doesn't want to start right away. I have the Shorai lithium. You'll swear that the thing is hollow because it's sooooo light!
  8. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally, I'd put in a good AGM battery long before I' d shell out the $$$ for a Li battery. First, the stock charging system is not correct for most Li batteries which require a 14.4 V float voltage. LiFePO4 batteries charge at 13.6V. AGMs are very tough and reliable, are better at deep discharge and cold than normal wet cells. Unfortunately I have no experience with the 2 I've found: Scorpion and Motobatt. They are probably both made in the same factory in China. I wish Odyssey made one that fit, but they don't currently. Lots of folks talk about the Scorpion. Anyone have the MB12U?
  9. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    my battery works fine. its a shorai lithium. its currently connected to the shorai storage/ charger thingy.

picture for ya.
    somewhere in panama during a break in the rain.

[​IMG]
  10. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    i have jumped downed trees with this bike that were approximately 12 inches in diameter if that tells you anything. it can handle steep, rocky ATV trails. the only thing that it really hates are deep, soft, wet mud roads that have been supremely rutted out by bulldozers. honestly anything that you would encounter on a long ride on a heavy ADV bike this thing will handle and a lot more "if i have to situations". Its really all up to the rider. . and the tires , suspension, wheels aaannnd how much useless shit you strap to the back. . :lol3

i think that was a rant.. sorry.

to answer your question: yep handles this stuff great !
  11. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Scorpion. So far, so good:D
  12. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cooling fan...
  13. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motobatt MB12U, 15 AH, $82. Fits like a glove and works great!!!
  14. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    Nope. Works well and makes no additional noise when it spins.

I'll be back on the bike tomorrow... ill keep updating as I tinker with it.
  15. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same Toutratech Works Low Footpegs. Only a quarter inch lower, but what a difference. No more cramped knees! I added to this the Touratech brake stop to lower the brake pedal and an adjustable shift lever to match. Comfortable!

I did install the RalleMoto steering damper. Feels good, but can't say it does much on the road, maybe on really big bumps. But, if you off-road, might be worth it for you. Expensive.
  16. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the MB12U. Very happy with it! I think $20 over the Scorpion is definitely worth the over 20% of extra capacity. This battery is advertised @ 15AH and, I think it delivers.
  17. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re the charging system, the Voltage Regulator which was used on the the F650GS and F twins was low in output as it was designed for the VRLA batteries from 10 years ago, the VR was upgraded by BMW but uses the same part number and the newer one has a higher voltage output to suit AGM and Lithium batteries, you can see the difference in pics here on Advrider in the "Another alternator hits the dust and not under warranty" thread by the F800 guys

My understanding is the later G Series and the Sertao have this later VR so it should be fine with Lithium and AGM
  18. mramosc

mramosc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Black09JK,

Did you have to change your brake line in order to fit the bar risers?
  19. Farmer Palmer

Farmer Palmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's just what I was going to ask aswell..........!
  20. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is an illogical and irrational belief out there that bar risers are going to improve standing on the pegs. In many instances they will only cramp up the riders arms as well as forcing he rider into a vertical position rather than a forward lean and make controlling the machine and balancing against the wind harder.

I have risers on mine and people believe they are to raise bar height. In fact the bar height is 1/2" lower than stock and the risers are there only to allow the use of the alloy bars I fitted which have less rise in them than stock. Think it through before spending money on the latest fad and farkle