DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. aapo

aapo aapo

Oddometer:
  2. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    can you share a bit more details? What was state of engine and after how many km? :)

BTW - great job you done! :)
  3. aapo

aapo aapo

Oddometer:
    At 63000 kms valves, cam and rockers were replaced with new parts. New piston and cylinder was bored to 0.5 bigger. This was done beacuse the top end was a bit noisy... Previous owner had not taking care of the valve clearance.

At 86000 kms It started to vibrate more than before above 45000 rpm and making more noise inside casings. I think this was beacuse crankshaft and conrod bearings. Another reason was that had to have the left side case welded. It was fixed just by chemical metal :) D.I.D's went broken and made a hole next to the front sprocket. Cylinder head, valves, cams etc. were still like new after 23 000 km. 4th driven gear was completely done, still working..

http://picasaweb.google.fi/aapo.saari/SuzukiDR750Projekti#5210340416438238994

I replaced all bearings, some worn out(corrosion) gears, cam chain, camchain tension adjuster, balancer chain and conrod. Runs great, except now when I'm having some carburetor problems :)

-aapo
  4. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for info!

Wow, looks like before it got to your hands that DR had some abuse from previous owner! :)

I am glad to hear another Big getting back on road :clap

BTW - by the looks of this gear it might have been caused by infamous starter gear "throwback".
    On DR800 this problem was fixed, perhaps it is possible to install back torque limitter on 750 too...
    German guys advice to always shut engine off using decompresson on 750 to avoid that - you probably heard about it already, so - just in case.
  5. aapo

aapo aapo

Oddometer:
    I think it was beacuse he just had not taking care of smal things like oil changes etc. He sold it beacuse he wanted better golf clubs :)

edit some typos...

-aapo
  6. aapo

aapo aapo

Oddometer:
    I actually planned to do this modifaication. Maybe next winter... I have all parts but starter motor is still missing. DR800 starter motor has longer axle. I have DR800 starter gears, torguelimiter and magneto cover. There is also small difference between 750/800 casings, but it can be maganed by washers etc. DR750 gives terrible sound :eek1 if you don't use decompression lever to shut engine.

BTW, my 800 engine had the same gear broken. Is it how I'm riding or what:lol3

-aapo
  7. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not think it is your riding :) perhaps problem is not in gear itself but some gear engaging parts...I can only guess that 4th not getting synch to engage "softly" or something like it.
  8. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    :clap WooHoo, just ordered new rear Wilbers for the rear and a set of front springs.
    Measured bike height and ground clearance against factory specs and it had saged between 25 to 30mm so I figured it was a good time to do something about it.
    Be keen to see how it rides when they go in.
    Thanks for the Hessler link bluesman
  9. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Good thing too.
    You wouldn't want to accidentally put them on the front now.
  10. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    I might just pull the new one to bits and just replace half of the old one, that'd be a good scheme aye nordie :evil :rofl :clap
  11. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, congratulations!

I bet 1 case of Hoegaarden beer that after you will install Wilbers kit and have first ride you will be amazed how much better bike will handle. :evil

I was (amazed that's it) when did it to my past bikes
  12. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Don't be silly. It wouldn't fit.

Without a lot of work. You could bring it around and we could give it a go though :freaky
  13. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi Bluesman,

Ive been busy lately but am just catching up with thread now.
    In regard to your comments I,d say that your bike needs more front wieghting, mine used to push the front a little so I dropped the front end in yokes by 10mm and jack up the back with the spring preload 10mm, no more push, In regards to 800 back road abilities I think that the trick is that off ease off riding, ability to deal with uneven road surfaces,monster usable low end, and good ground clearance that make the DR:s Fast in the twisties, though I will admit to being a little crazy:evil when dueling with others, Usually I tell myself off afterwards and promise to take it easier next time ( yer right )

A friend of mine Who owns a 08 Fireblade and an ST1300 did a bike swap with me when he was out on his ST and was suprised how well the DR cornered so Im happy with that,

Chow for now:wink:
  14. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, it is true - DR on road suprisingly good handler..

I already tried dropping front. Over 145 kmph my DR starts to...weave?shake? when I do that and then front still slides too early and too scary comparing to full-scale asphalt bike. It's just contact patch too small...

BUT wait until I will put SV wheels on it ;)

BTW - just done my ride on Pirelli MT21s. Thanks for boosting my confidence back then - it was totally OK. Yes, they are much easier to slide but I had my trip to back and there with no probs and offroad riding with them was miles better than with Mefo's I had before. I even learned how to ride DR in soft dusty sand, thou must admit with my height it takes me imitiating forced wheelie to unload front of DR in sand :) I am too small :)
  15. enduroprofi

enduroprofi TR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for delayed and for my bad English writing,
    Firstly thanks for good receiving!
    Rear tire is Pirelli MT21, It has a good shape for all ground but It's not safely in new rainly asphalt or very strong ground.
    Front tire is Metzeler MC5, It's not good in this machine, DR800 is very heavy for this shape, Driving isn't stabil and the machine is plunging to left or right side.
    I want to use MT21 all time and all wheel but must be careful on little wet asphalt.
    They are excellent on dry and nonslick asphalt road, muddy road, sands.
    I'm to be unable to get one's in English.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. enduroprofi

enduroprofi TR Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Thats a big call bluesman, 1 case of beer :1drink, they must be good. But I don't really drink beer, make it a case of bourbon and coke(woodys):freaky

Can't hardly wait 'till they get here, itching to get them in and go for a blast
  18. BrianDR800

BrianDR800 DR800 BIG 93`

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I have a 93` DR800 SR43, 31500 km
    Bought it in May 08, and I love it!!! :clap

Need some help uploading image, need to resize the pic!! :dunno

Brian DR800 Denmark
  19. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post7806278 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_7806278><FIELDSET class=fieldset>http://www.advrider.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=187066&stc=1&d=1220607773

</FIELDSET>
    Click above for pic<!-- / attachments -->
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>[​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Welcome to New Owner Contributers
    aapo
    Drbig
    Jack Rabit
    Brian DR800
    Will add you to post 1

some great pic,s etc going on while Ive been away, Take a look at these from Drbigs Israel trip Im sure he wont mind

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393050
  20. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Something sounds amiss there as My DR is rock steady, off course without knowing your exact settings it would be hard to compare, at the momment Im running Conti Escape tires perhaps they are particly good in this regard??

Extra sets off wheels would indeed be the ultimate answer though as you said,

I also wonder about different Riding styles Im a dirt biker from way back and tend to ride around what evers happening on bike to compensate I dont Really have a road ridding style, as soon as the corners go under 70kph I stick my foot out motard style, sometimes even on my Harley if Im
    desperate, Or Else maybe your just going way faster than me ?
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post7806271 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_7806271><FIELDSET class=fieldset>http://www.advrider.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=187064&stc=1&d=1220607527

</FIELDSET>
    Click above for pic<!-- / attachments -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>[​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Cool that the MT21s worked out Ill be getting a set to try soon, but to be Honest they will probable go on my NX650, Im doing the Road thing at the mo with the DR and loving it, So much low end, my mates CB1300 feels weak down low by comparison and as I try to keep within the NZ Liscences Loosing speed off 140kph,:D I dont want top end which of course those road burners have in abundance,