Tiger 800 problems; for reference only please

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Rob Dirt, Apr 18, 2012.

1. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:
    Agree with elan. "They all do that" :D
  2. andrewsg

andrewsg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's definitely not the fuel pump protector, mine has a sturdy looking metal one.

I read around the interwebs and some people manage to "fix" the sound by fitting the Arrow endcan. A bit of an expensive fix, and I'm not really looking to make the exhaust louder.

I might get used to it, but the sound is a little disappointing, especially compared to the angry jet engine noise you get while accelerating. Any other ways of fixing it?
  3. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thought that too but just got new oil and same issue. :( I'm going to try Amsoil next and I'll update you guys in whether or not it helps. :thumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    My wife says mine sounds like popcorn popping. I like popcorn. :norton
  5. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:
    I put a Leo Vince on mine. The popcorn sound turned into a nice decel pop. :D
  6. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    I've found that wearing earplugs and having a SENA Bluetooth intercom playing Stevie Ray Vaugn from the Zumo pretty much eliminates the popping. :evil :D
  7. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just put a sena on my helmet and was wondering if I could still hear itwith ear plugs in? Haven't sync'd it yet
  8. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Normally three heat cycles and it'll go off if it doesn't detected a fault any more. This is common to all Triumphs.
  9. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    If you've still got a shifting issue after your recent service it could be the return spring which had a recall on it on certain VIN numbers.
  10. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    You can try the arrow tune with the stock muffler. It will put a lot more fuel in the mix. Your mpg will go down some.
  11. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Just pretend it's a race bike...they all do that. :lol3

Call it a decel snarl instead of a pop. :dunno
  12. elan

elan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never touched my front brake reservoir, but the other day when installing my rox risers, I had the bars leaned forward. Ever since then, I've noticed some slight weeping around the front/top left of the cover. I'm not too concerned about it since it's so minimal, but it does kind of bother me. I tightened the screws a little, but it still seems to do it. There's plenty of fluid in there, and I'll keep an eye on it, but would be nice to get it resolved.

Any one else have this issue?
  13. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there is a very small vent hole in the cover to let air in/out as the brakes wear/move. If there is a gasket under the lid I bet some fluid is trapped between the two. Take it apart and see, remember brake fluid eats paint.

How are the risors?
  14. Wandering Dane

Wandering Dane We are the luckiest guys Supporter

Oddometer:
    Decel popping indicates lean condition and should not be ignored or even enjoyed. It could, possibly, burn exhaust valves.

I installed a Leo Vince can and run it with the dB killer and get the decel popping. Am now in the process of installing a Power Commander V and AutoTune, will report in the farkles thread when finished.
  15. Rubberlegs

Rubberlegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There should be a bladder under the cap. This seals the oil, allows air to move in and out to compensate for oil mouvement. Brk oil is hydroscopic and will go bad in contact with air.
  16. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

Nope. Even after closer to 20 cycles, still came on. Brought it in for the service and same they said all was good with that... just needed a reset. :dunno

Recall on the 2013 models? I am still have a stiff shifting issue... Could just be me, but for a bike that new, i expect it to be much smoother. Which is what leads me to think there is a problem. I am going to have a chat with them...
  17. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    Very strange if there's no fault. I'd be interested to hear if it comes back on.

It was done by VIN number so I suppose it could apply if your bike has been in a warehouse for a while.
  18. tdv

tdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't want to alarm you but my 2013 was shifting stiffly before it broke and it would not shift out of first gear. Apparently it's a known failure (some pin breaks off), was fixed under warranty. I posted earlier in this thread with details and part numbers.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
  19. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

Haha well it's not horribly bad, just annoying at the moment. I am having them look at it and will keep annoying them until it's fixed. Just to begin with though, those morons out it 10-50 instead of 10-40... I know it's not a big deal but still. I did tell them they were wrong lol

20. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah I will let keep you guys posted if it does. So far, 300 miles and still off.

I am brining it in to get the ecu updated and have them look at the shifting Wednesday. I brought what you said up and the guy said he remembers it and will look into it.