Best 1911 .45 for less than a grand

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Kris, Dec 20, 2011.

1. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    About two and a half times.
  2. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:

That's wicked! Go big or stay home!
  3. Kris

Kris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update from the original post. I decided not to get a 1911 at this time. What I did get was 2 seperate 9mm pistols. I bought a CZ75B and a Taurus PT92, very good prices on both. That way when me and my son go to the range we can have a 9mm target competition with both shooting our own seperate pistols. Both guns are nice, shoot well and are more accurate than my shooting ability can use. The next gun I will get is a 1911 which I will purchase later in the spring. The brand I have decided to get is a Ed Brown Special Forces.
    Who would have thought- planned to get one pistol and end up with 3!!:clap
    Thanks to all who posted to this topic!!
  4. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    Funny how that works:eek1
  5. bmwotis

bmwotis Festus

Oddometer:
    Just got a Sig Sauer in 45 caliber off gunbroker....they have a pkg called the TAcpac, comes with laser, holster, 2 mags for well under $1k, actually around $740. have put 300 rounds in it, all different ammo, 3 different aftermarket clips, not even a hiccup, wonderful gun, very pleased.
  6. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Pretty tempting deal, esp for first time 1911ers. Or anyone really.

:chace
  7. RogueClimber

RogueClimber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me know where I can find an Ed Brown for $1300! :D
  8. Kris

Kris Long timer

Oddometer:
    The later in the spring purchase is needed to save the funds to buy the EB, I wish they were $1300!!
  9. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    You should be happy with both the CZ and the PT92. I had PT92 for about 4 years and it never malfunctioned. It has some improvements over the original Beretta 92 design, IMHO. I got rid of mine since, but it was a decent gun.
  10. RogueClimber

RogueClimber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember order now means delivery later in the spring unless you can find one in stock. CJ at cj1911heaven.com probably has more models in stock, and will have the best price of anybody out there.

Enjoy!
  11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    Ed Brown Special Forces?

Hell, you could get 5 Rock Islands for that price!

:huh
  12. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    I went to the range for the first time with my Ed Brown Special Forces today. I haven't owned a firearm for nearly 10 years and decided to get back into it with a 1911 .45. Did my research and decided first upon a Kimber, but when I got to the gun store and laid them all out it was clear to me the Brown and Wilson were the tops, and the Kimber was quickly put back in the display case.

I'll also preface this mini-review by saying I've never shot a .45 ACP before! I've had many handguns in the past (.22, .32, .380, .38. .357, 9mm, 10 mm) but never even tried a 1911 out before. So I jumped in blind on this platform and figured if I was going to buy one, go big. Hence the Ed Brown.

A buddy of mine and I went to the NRA HQ range in Fairfax VA. This is a great facility by the way - clean, modern and extremely safety-oriented. There's no good-ole-boy fooling around here and that's fine with me. My friend brought his Glock G17 9mm and a Ruger Mark III Competition .22, and we shared a lane. The NRA Range Officer took one look at the blue "Ed Brown Products" bag I was carrying and asked "Is that a real Ed Brown in there or just the bag and you have something else in it?" I told him it was the real deal and found that observation amusing.

Onto the shoot. I have a Ed Brown mag and a Wilson Combat - definitely prefer the Ed Brown mag in the weapon. It slides in better and the larger plastic butt plate makes it easier to seat than the Wilson. Both fed Winchester 185 Grain FMJ (white box) flawlessly. I was extremely impressed with the Special Forces. What an easy, great shooter! Fantastic trigger, very low recoil and my first clip was 2" groups at 25. It's a beautiful shooter and very "soft" in the action. I'd have to say its the finest semi-auto pistol I've ever shot. Only my 1950's era Smith K-22 Masterpiece has been a better range gun. A very impressive piece - worth the money. My pal shot about 30 rounds through it as well and he said "I have GOT to get me one of these"....and I have no doubt he will.

I shot about 30 rounds through the Glock G17 9mm. Didn't like this pistol one bit. Compared to the Ed Brown it was a crude piece, lacked accuracy and had more recoil than the .45. I sure they have their place, but I won't ever own one.

I do have to say I really liked the Ruger Mark III Competition .22. A beautifully balanced pistol with superb handling and great balance. I'll be buying one of those for myself very shortly.
  13. stuartdivebum

stuartdivebum assume first

Oddometer:
    :wingsJust picked this up at a gunshow, 1977 Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. Unfired, almost untampered with (Jeweling) pristine, No marks, no wear no scratches :raabia Orig Owner had jeweled the trigger and hammer but thats easily polished out. said it was his "barbeque gun" Now its mine, the only problem now is to shoot it or not:hmmmmm

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Did I mention Im Happy? oh yeah Im Happy! Wooo!
  14. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club. There is only one problem with 1911's. You can't live with just one :lol3

Looking for a match grade hi cap long slide with a Burris fastfire II for sights myself. AMT, Para Ordance, Rock Island and Sprinfield have made long slides in the past. AMT has a shit reputation, the Springfield is not hi cap and it looks like the other two are not making them as part of the standard product line anymore. Starting to look like I might have to build it up myself. Any wisdom here abouts on the long slide front?
  15. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Magazine. But nice gun for sure. Pics?
  16. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Beware, a lot of the bad rep of the AMT is NOT deserved. Here's why. AMT were the very first all stainless 1911. When they first came out, AMT used an alloy of stainless that galled easy. It did so because not only was the alloy prone to galling, and there fore misfeeds and such, but it was treated like any 1911 of the day which is to say, almost no oil or cleaning or prep before shooting. They are great guns, and can be VERY reliable but one has to keep them very wet. Now in the second run of design, AMT not only changed the alloy to a far less likely to gall alloy, but added special features like extended slide stop, beaver tail, and extended safety and a nice set of adjustable sights. I have one of the later AMT 1911s (5in) and it is one of the best 1911s I have ever shot that is stock! NEVER a FTF or any problem at all. The longslides are all of the first alloy so need to be kept wet but do function well after that is known. Plus, most if not all have had a bunch of nice gunsmithing done because the original owners bought them to target shoot and wanted them to be reliable. If you fine one that fancies you, shoot it or cycle it by hand slowly and see what it does. Usually they have all been fiexed if they needed it in the first place. Many did not because the problem was the knowledge of the shooter and his maintenance and prep, not the gun.

[​IMG]
  17. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Hardballer years ago and it was a great gun for me. Wish I still had it. Come to think of it, it might have been the first center fire pistol I ever owned.
  18. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally saw a Sig scorpion in person saturday. VERY nice 1911. I almost put it on lay away:evil. I resisted the urge this time.
  19. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:

Don't go back. I looked at the Scorpion one time too many.
  20. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    yeah, I WON'T be going to the gun show this weekend. It'd be better if I had some cash. But then I'd be going home with the Scorpion and C3+

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

:tb :tb