Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I read your post right, you're asking about an 800xc that's been there for the entire year?
    If so, I bought my 2011 white(best cooler)XC in January 2012 for $2100 off OTD price. They had a lot of 2012's sitting there and didn't want it to look like they were not a hot seller-bike hasn't changed since introduced except for frame colors and of tank/fender
  2. DennyMyBoy

DennyMyBoy Hoping for a GS

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify my original question, yes, its the 2012 Tiger 800XC that has been on the show room floor of the dealer for quite some time, and that I am on the verge of making an offer on.

Appreciate the many responses. Especially the guy in FL who bought one for a $2100 discount. Sweet deal! Any advice on how to achieve such success? What approach did you take with the negotiations?

Thanks
  3. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 1050 is a great bike with a great motor. My issue is the lack of electrical output as compared to the 800. I run two up in cold weather so I have got to be able to run two sets of heated gear. I hesitate to call the other a thing a problem but I can flat foot my 800. I cant get my heels down on the 1050.
  4. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Iffen you be talkin' 'bout me, it's in California :lol3. Just pointed out the # of 2012's they had sittin' there, with 2 lonely 2011's. Made the offer and they took it, and got 30% off the center stand and crash bars, free install and re-map with the Arrow cans. They musta been happy with the deal 'cuz they continue to give me at least 15% off everything else I've bought in the last year. Good luck. They'll deal if it's been there all year, and they'll want to sell you farkles, so what's to lose?
  5. H1ippo

H1ippo n00b

Oddometer:

The silver trim ring should come off ok, with a bit of persistence/leverage. I know since I have bought a Tiger 800 project that has a damaged speedo (with part of the silver trim ring missing). It looks like it just presses into the speedo face but with some clips at regular intervals round it. I'll try and take a photo over the weekend if you like.

... and if you do take it off ... can I have it? ;)

p.s. I need a new face for mine. It comes off easily with just 6 screws but Triumph don't sell the just face as a part just a complete speedo for £700+. They say they are tied by the mfr who won't sell it separately like they used to on older models
  6. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was exactly same way until I got more into riding my Tiger.
    Now I don't know why anyone would want to see his odometer. Time/distance to destination shown by GPS.
    Only reason I always needed ODO was to think when to refuel and to check very roughly when to service (definitely not something I check when riding).
    I'd gladly swap odometer on any bike with "distance to refuel" system on tiger (it uses both float and measuring fuel flow to intake).
  7. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    This is a nonissue to me too. On my V-Strom, which can display the regular odometer instead of one of the trip odometers, I still always had it set to display the trip odo so I could see how far I'd gone since refueling. I came from bikes with no fuel gauges, so I long ago got in the habit of using the odo for that purpose, and on the V-Strom and now the Tiger, that didn't completely change. I still like to know how far I've gone on each tank.

The short odo display on startup is plenty for maintenance schedules, etc.

--mark
  8. clint64

clint64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question for the group. I am in Atlanta, GA and wondered which of the Triumph dealers guys have found the best to work with on 1) the purchase of the new bike and 2) ongoing service. I am planning to purchase no later than Mid March. Thanks for your help.

Clint
  9. TigerXC

TigerXC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too am with the Dr on this one, I don't use it while riding. With two trip ODO, I use one for daily and the other for cumulative multi day ODO on extended trips. Saves me from doing the mental math (subtract starting mileage from current/ending mileage)...but maybe I'm missing something...why do some need total mileage while riding and think that not having it detracts from the bike?
  10. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    you may also try the regional forums and ask over there too.. you will probably get a lot more feedback. Triumph shows three dealers in atlanta. looks like two are owned by the same group.
  11. clint64

clint64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will post in the regional forums as well. You are right, I had researched the Triumph website and actually went by one of the dealers this past weekend.
  12. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might add that I believe the headquarters for Triumph USA is in Atlanta as well. That's a huge plus.
  13. clint64

clint64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a big plus. Well the CFO, also know as the wife, has approved the purchase for late Feb to Mid March, so I am really excited. Even though I have been riding for 40 years, this will be the first time, I have ever bought a brand new bike.
  14. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

It's just proof in the pudding, that someone is going to always find something to moan about, no matter how trivial it may be. I mean if all a person can complain about is the fact that the total mileage doesn't show up on the odo at all times, I'd like to think that Triumph did a good job on the rest of the bike. :lol3
  15. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats. It will not disappoint. Duluth, huh? Damn your lucky.
  16. DennyMyBoy

DennyMyBoy Hoping for a GS

Oddometer:
    Looking like things just might work out with a nearby dealer. Will share the numbers once a deal is hopefully confirmed. For now, I have a few questions I'm hoping others can help me with.

Are there any changes between the 2012 and the 2013 models? All along I've been assuming there are absolutely none but it would be good to have this confirmed. Also, I'm thinking that at the time of purchase I will add a center stand and the additional front lights. Are there any aftermarket options to consider for those two items or should I stick with ones made by Triumph? Are there any additional accessories that you would suggest? Any other issues or concerns I should be thinking about for day of delivery? Many thanks! Will keep you posted.
  17. 2dflyer

2dflyer Wheelie Conflicted

Oddometer:
    Late to the party. Starting to think (again) about an adv mount and just the kind of write up I was looking for on the XC. Thanks much.
  18. wrecked'em

wrecked'em satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer:
    our dealer is having a coming out party for it tomorrow. congrats on the super nice bike . tell us more about it please
  19. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is no difference between the 2012's and the 2013's, sans the matte green color replacing orange....
  20. Too Tall

Too Tall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need a recommendation for an online USA source for Triumph Tiger 800 parts. Would like to have parts diagrams, accessories, prices, and online ordering capability.

Anyone?