Sunny Day to Coast

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by smilin jack, Feb 11, 2012.

1. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Frank and I (smilin jack) met up in Tangent Oregon and headed toward the Pacific Ocean (90 miles west) thru the coast range.
    Traffic was flowing pretty slowly thru the twisty corners so we decided to turn on the "short cut gravel road". It lead us along the Yaquina river 30 miles to Toledo. Lots of sand and mud on the road from recent flooding. As we got next to the paper mill in Toledo, Frank wasn't following any more. Went back and found him parked on the road side with the drive chain dragging the ground.
    He pushed it across the road to my side (wide paved section to park). We found his used extra rivet master link and started to install it, but found no rivet tool. Started using a C-clamp and center punch but had no hammer. A truck stopped to help and had a hammer, so we made fairly quick work of the repair. Another guy stopped and called the local bike shop... they were fresh out of 525 master links. Got it together and continued on our journey.
    Stopped in Toledo for lunch and headed north thru Siletz on a very curvy road to hwy 101 (coast highway). We then turned south to Waldport, stopping in Newport for a coffee.
    Headed east on hwy 34 back to hwy I-5 and home. It was a 7 hour ride covering about 250 miles. Several other riders were supposed to tag along, but nobody showed up so they missed all the fun.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/59122970/3/Photo Albums/2012 Rides/11Feb Coast Trip?h=fda8a8

Here's some photos of the trip. [​IMG]

Dave
  2. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the write up,good skills fixing the master link