Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Latest citynav, faster time.

Wasn't like I needed the navaid, was just using for eta, so I didn't really notice what it was doing until the turn directions popped up at Bronson. :scratch
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I do that too, navigating with the gps when I already know the best route. I find I get a better understanding of if/how it works, and if I can trust it or not.
  3. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    These RAM parts might be useful to mount the Rugged Mount base on a dash where you don't have access to the other side or if your gps vibrates on your bike: RAM Mari-nuts

[​IMG]

I just noticed them in the "New stuff from RAM" section of GPSCity.
  4. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    Try to buy well nuts.

[​IMG]
  5. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I knew I saw those Mari-nuts somewhere before, just didn't remember what they're called outside the RAM world.

Wellnuts. Thanks for the reminder.
  6. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed this weekend that my Montana 650 wasn't quite "right" - so I [tried to] perform a screen calibration [Setup/Display/Screen Calibration].

Now I get stuck in what appears to be an infinite loop, with the last step being a horizontal line across the bottom of the screen (regardless of orientation) with no dot to press, then it loops back to the start...

I've tried this both from the menu and a power-on reset.

Anyone else?
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Calibration issues have not been heard of much recently. Is yours an early unit? I'd call Garmin asap if I was you.

Phone Numbers

US: 913-397-8200
    US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020
    Canada: 1-866-429-9296
  8. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, as MBD suggest, call Garmin!

Also, if you can, take a photo with your smartphone etc and post here so we can see what the screen look slike when this happens?

Thank You!
  9. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its not the mileage, but the 50 via point limit.

Check to see if your route is under 50 via points.

daryl
  10. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I just plugged in Fairbanks AK from my house and got a route after about 4 minutes of "calculating" Looks like I can be there in a tick over 64 hours. :deal

That route is about 4100 miles. No waypoints just using "where to"
  11. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay I know I have seen this someplace in this thread but the wonderful search here will not let me search for the terms I need and I don't want to re-read 450 pages of stuff....

What are the pros and cons for installing City Navigator to internal memory vs on external SD card?
  12. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    None that I can think of other than if your maps are loaded on the SD card and there is something hinky with the maps that causes the unit not to boot you can always remove the SD card and reboot without the hinky map data.

That's one fine run-on sentence.
  13. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    I have a Montana 600 and a eTrex 20 and got CNNA on a uSD card so I can use it on either device without the need to purchase CNNA twice.
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    My unit won't even allow you to navigate the route if it has more then 50 via points. You can look at it on the map, but you don't get the GO button.
  15. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    from the "FAQ"

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Emmbeedee [​IMG]

1. Track Manager - Options. Provide a Setting tab option on the main Track Manager screen to: "Show All Tracks on Map", "Hide All Tracks on Map", "Delete All Tracks".

</td></tr></tbody></table>
    still no way of doing this?
    Not even goofing around with the XML on the unit itself?
  16. jconly

jconly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, my last major ride I took this summer (following the TET tracks and routes) left me with a question that hopefully someone here can help answer.

I'm wondering about measuring distances from one point to the other, an how that distance is generated.

On my 60CSX, although I forget exactly how, with a track, I could select a point along it, and find a distance between my current location and this point of choice.

Is it possible to do this with the Montana? With either a track or a route?

I know it can be done by just dropping a pin, but this would give me what I'm assuming is a straight line distance. Is it possible to pick a point on a track and get the distance to that point ALONG the track?
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Finding a distance is always going to be 'as the crow flies' unless you calculate it as a route, as far as I know. You can look at a track in Mapsource or Basecamp and extrapolate the distance but I don't think you can do it on a gps.
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Not that I am aware of. 'Show All Tracks' would not be useful to me, though 'Hide All Tracks' would. I find I waste time occasionally trying to figure out which is set to 'Show On Map', and having to click one after the other gets old real fast.

I was toying with the Montana recently and when I turned it on and cleared the track, I could still see a track on the screen so I looked in the Track Manager and found one which was set to Show On Map. I set it to Hide on Map, verified it was no longer showing then shut the Montana off.

Then I started the Montana up again, and that same track was once again showing on the map screen. A Zombie map, obviously. Once I archived it, it remained hidden.

No idea what it was about that track that kept it showing up... But I wasted time looking for it, on a couple of occasions.
  19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would also be nice if the Show/Hide bit coming from PC would be preserved. This is very important for Events where promoter set its for variious tracks.

Another choice should be to order by proximity or order by Alfa-numeric
  20. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    You won't get the 'GO' button either when attempting to navigate a track if the number of track points are more than 10,000.

In Basecamp, you can double click in the map window on any route or track and a property window will open. The 'Summary' field for a track will show the total number of points it contains. On a route it will show the total number of via points it has.

Basecamp is your friend!

daryl