2012 Speed Triple vs 2012 Tuono V4

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by flienlow, Jul 31, 2013.

1. flienlow

flienlow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new bike. Danger Close. I have read reviews and watched some videos, but I am still undecided on which choice to make. Now that the newer models have had a little "soak time" with the general public, I would love to hear some thoughts and reflections between the 2012 Speed Triple & 2012 Tuono V4.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I have not rode the Speed, or even sat on one in while. I will do this tomorrow. However, I have been atop of the Explorer 1200 and the Tiger 800. I hated both but I think it was primarily due the fact that triumph sets their bikes up for Gorillas. The Bars are way too wide, and slung too "rock star" low on both. Hence, I don't want to bypass the speed based on previous shitty adventure bike Ergos.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The DUC, DUKE, and MV are out along with any Japanese offering as I don’t want an inline four. I’ll be honest, the Aprilia talks to me. I think it’s a stunning looking bike, and pulls like a freight train when you twist the throttle. That being said, as with any Hot Italian Girlfriend – It’s going to give you a few problems. I am sure the Triumph is going to be a “Proper British bike” (insert Clarkson’s voice here) that will handle well and be butter smooth. –But perhaps too smooth?
    Enough of my ramblings, what say you?
  2. rpmwfo

rpmwfo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it were between those two, I would go Tuono.
  3. bootzilla

bootzilla Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer:
    Make no mistake - the triple in general (I don't have experience with the 1050) may be smooth, but doesn't lack for character.

You can't go wrong on this one though - check both out, then pick the one that moves your furniture. My old-school Speedy is totally fun, but I can't imagine either disappointing.
  4. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you grt the S3...get the "R". Otherwise, Tuono

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  5. 900

900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely wrong in case of the Tuono RSV4 - except if with "problems" you mean fuel consumption and loosing your license.
  6. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking Triumph for better reliability, better fuel economy, stronger dealer network.

But ya gotta buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face... that' why we ride, no?

Regards, Paul
  7. GoonerYoda

GoonerYoda Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer:
    I know you don't want an I-4, but why not consider the CB1000R or the Z1000?

But out of Speed3 or Tuono....tough choice. Probably the Tuono with the full electronics package.
  8. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds silly to many, I know, but the incredibly poor gas mileage on the Tuono kills it for me. I had on '03 but I won't deal w/high 20's/low 30's for a public road bike. Just me, maybe, but a free heads up.
  9. flienlow

Oddometer:
    It is silly, but I have the same exact hang up. Poor Mileage AND a small tank!
  10. flienlow

Oddometer:
    I Rode the Speed Triple today. I will only say this; I rode it 11 blocks turned around and thanked them for their time and gave them back their key.
  11. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    What?, seriously? Was it the seating position that turned u off? U gotta give us a little more than that....
  12. -GUV-

-GUV- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The poor mileage isn't such an issue as you need to stop and get off frequently to wipe the dumb grin off your dial.
    :clap
  13. bootzilla

bootzilla Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer:
    Go figure - didn't see that one coming. I, too, am curious to know what you didn't like.

But that's good - you know which one you like now.

Oh - and I've never ridden one, but based solely on looks and poking around one at the dealer - I'll second GoonerYoda - the Z1000 seems pretty darn cool. Tough part would be finding someone to let you test ride it.
  14. flienlow

Oddometer:
    The triple is butter smooth for sure. But I think that is the problem. I would buy that bike and be bored to tears in a week. Is it nice? Without a doubt. But I think it is too "civilized" for what I am looking for. It's all about personal choice & one's own tastes and I am sure there are plenty of folks that will differ with my opinion. My last 5 bikes have all been touring/adventure touring bikes bought with the purpose of going on motorcycle road trips with my pals. FJR, RT, and Concurs they have all been great. I pack all my crap on them and go down the road in comfort for hundreds of miles. When I get home I park the big behemoth and it sits until next time. I don’t ride it to the store, over to a buddies house, or even to work. It just sits there in my garage. Why? Because it’s a big heavy slab jacker. It simply doesn’t entertain me.
    The Tuono? Allow me to quote Valentino Rossi. “ At the beginning when you try the first time the 500, Ahh Fwak! “- I can’t say it any better.
    Both bikes look like a pile shit from the front forks forward. But for me the Aprilia is all sex going back. You can just tell the people who made it were not just thinking about the bottom line, and then there is that sound. You fire it up and it sounds like dragster and has this strange indescribable engine whine that is cool as hell. On sound alone it is the best sounding production bike I have heard (aside from RSV4.) It is a little troublesome from a dead stop, but once you get it on a plane and open the taps, HOLY SHIT! The front end jumps up and punches you in the face like a bar brawl and then you’re off like a burnt bat out of hell. The bike instills terror and confidence all at the same time. I am sure Max Biaggi wouldn’t lift an eyebrow to it, but for me and my skill set it is all I would ever need.
    I suppose it is all about how a bike makes you feel. One bike makes me feel like smartly tipping a top hat to the aristocrats, the other a warlord. –You asked.
  15. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    To me, gas mileage or fuel capacity means nothing. But that extra 50 HP the Tuono V4 has makes all the difference in the world. My brother has a Speed Triple. Kind of a plain vanilla type of bike.
  16. basque

basque Infidel

Oddometer:
    My two cents:

Tuono. All day. I've recently become an Aprilia fan. The tech, the sound, the looks. Hell, they're even a comparative bargain (I'm looking at you, Ducati).

I'm also with you on both the Speedy feeling too "civilized" and on the big tourers not having enough grin factor.

I just spent a week on a K16GT and while it sounded amazing in the high RPMs, I found it heavy and boring (to be fair, my everyday ride is a 690 SMC).

Now, with all that said, what about waiting for this to see how it stacks up against the Aprilia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voj0DorPsr4
  17. rickyramjet

rickyramjet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same with my Dorsoduro 750, 12 l tank with only 9 l to reserve and a pretty thirsty engine considering its size and performance. I love the bike but that's the one thing about it that's seriously stupid. Especially since they managed to fit a 15 l tank on the 1200, which would give a nice range boost if they had started fitting it on new 750s as well.

Good news is the Tuono gets a very slightly larger tank for 2014 (only 1.5 l though), bad news is all the electronics will become standard so the cheaper non-APRC version is disappearing from the line-up. But I take it you're looking at a 2012 model anyway.

P.S. First post!
  18. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Id get the Street Triple R over the Speed any day. I'm coming off a daytona and almost picked up the new Striple R. Think of the Speedy as a BIG and HEAVY BMW 1200, and the Street like a KTM 690. If you want fun the Street is the way to go!

On the other hand - I have spent quite a few hours on a new factory RSV4 in the mountains and I'm sold. Best bike i've ever rode. Lined up next to my Daytona it was actually smaller. With the Graves Exhaust I've never heard a bike so perfect. And the Tuono is the RSV4 so there is no doubt I'd take a Tuono over a Triumph any day if I had the choice.

And no offense to anyone with a new Z1000, but I test rode one and it felt incredibly cheap. The tank was moving side to side, the key failed to be removed without the assistance of pliers, and they were desperate to get it off their floor.
  19. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why they make different bikes. I'll take the Speed over the Street every day. The Street is an awesome bike, I just want more torque down low than that. What most folks call "overly refined and boring", I call well designed and done right. I have no trouble making them very not boring, if, and when, that's the desire. What most folks call "character and a rough/rowdy edge", I call unacceptable. If it won't get at least 40 mpg these days in regular commuter duty, it's not a practical, public road bike to/for me. Screw mileage when I'm playing.

Like many of us, I've had the good fortune (and the weak constitution) to have owned a bunch of bikes, of all types. I'm trying to finish the search for the perfect balance. The new Yamaha Triple looks very interesting, IF they'll up the quality of components and offer a Sport and Adventure Sport style option and IF it gets the fuel economy it should in regular riding.

No knocks against any of the other bikes but we all have our preference. You gotta' decide for you. Both of these bikes are great options, as are many others in the class. Which floats your boat just right?
  20. GoonerYoda

GoonerYoda Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer:
    y u no try Speed Triple R?:baldy