Heading to Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by jjewell, Dec 2, 2014.

1. jjewell

jjewell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me Bud and I are heading down to Mexico in January and need some info.
    Can anyone tell me if I can import the bike in Tecate? I was through there a few years back and it appeared to be too small for that. I also had bought my insurance there at the boarder but it seemed kind of expensive. Last time I imported the bike in La Paz before taking the ferry over. Worked out OK but if I could take care of it before hand it would be one less worry. Ensenada would be another possibility. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I don't know about Tecate. If you decide to head a little farther east, you can get a TVIP in Mexicali at the newer commercial vehicle crossing (they quit issuing TVIP's at the tourist crossing in Mexicali). BTW, if you're staying in Baja you don't need a TVIP if you didn't know.

As for insurance, the best deal I have found is at the following link:

http://www.adavisglobal.com/welcome/drivers_license_policy

It's a driver's license only policy and when I bought mine just over a year ago it was about $88 for a year. This is liability only but covers you while driving any vehicle.
  3. jjewell

jjewell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info!
  4. Kowalski

Kowalski Brummie

Oddometer:
    Absolutely you can get the TVIP in Tecate right at the border. Its the easiest place by far and way easier than doing it at the ferry. We did that route last month so if you need info on anything let me know. The ferry to Mazatlan was a good experience for us but there are a few tricks to negotiate it.

If you wait to get the TVIP at the ferry make sure you have your $25 tourist card or its a trip back to Ensenada.:cry
  5. Wrebit

Wrebit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problem through tecate. Went through mid September. Went easy.
    bought insurance with san isidro online beforehand.
    Cheers.
    Enjoy !
  6. jjewell

jjewell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kowalski I appreciate the info. I took that ferry 3 years ago and wished I had gotten a state room. Maybe I'll
    Make reservations this time!
  7. jjewell

jjewell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Wrebit I see were neighbors! Thanks for the info. Stop in and see me in Skagway if ever your down this way!
  8. Farrkhar

Farrkhar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll act as a leech and join the discussion ;-)

Kowalski: Do you happen to remember how much was the ferry if you had a car? We'll be taking it soon after Xmas or end of January. Thanks for the info about Tecate, we'll try to get TVIP there this Saturday.

Cheers!:beer

Oh, anyone heading for Baja around Xmas?
  9. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Chris (Mexadventure.com) informed that that at least two states are at $500-550k liability limit so checking the states along the planned route is good thinking. These are MAX liability limits per incident and insurance should be purchased accordingly.
  10. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few of us hitting Baja in February...since we are entering and exiting Baja through Tecate, I can't figure out if we need to purchase a tourist card.
  11. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Everybody must have a tourist visa if staying longer than 24 hours in the Tourist Zone. It's free if you are only there seven days or less. This is for all Mexico.
  12. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8 days. Looks like we are getting a tourist card.