Laid off people turned Ex-Pats Living on the CHEAP?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Super Suz, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    I am just curiious if anyone here has been laid off or knows someone who was laid off and then put all the stuff in storage to go "lay low" for a while in a country where they can live cheaply.

For example, rent the place, store the crap, pack the bag and maybe even ship the bike, go find a little cabin on the beach where a whole lunch at a roadside stop will cost you less than a diet coke back home.

What's the experience? Good and bad.

Oh. And if you are retired and living on the cheap somewhere, you can add to the collection of info too.

Where do you live and how much does it cost to live on the cheap per day?

What's the positives and negatives to your situation? Yeah. Yeah. You might catch malaria. But what's the odds of that? Yeah. Ok. You could be the next kidnap victim, but how often does that happen and how do you avoid it?

Pics are welcome too. Show off a little. :lol3
  2. AdvNinja

AdvNinja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I want to know, too!
  3. wizze

wizze Wizze = Wise

Oddometer:
    well I got the laid off part done. :D
    scootertrash likes this.
  4. GreggM

GreggM Adventure awaits

Oddometer:
    I've been following this couple since they sailed around the world, then toured around in a VW bus and are now hanging out in Mexico having a baby...

http://www.bumfuzzle.com/index.html
  5. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Didn't go to another country but I did put things in storage and spent 6 months on my bike and living in a tent. Biggest expense was fuel. Camped most of the time in cheap/free camp areas and cooked in camp. It was a great experience. I was younger when I did that but plan to do it again when I retire.
    Dracula likes this.
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    You're obviously a self sufficient type of gal, and have ballettes...:D

What's interesting is that this is still apealing to you, and captured in your mind.

In response to the OP: It's all about attitude. A person can operate within almost any size budget, if they're willing. The willingness and motivation are the keys to success or disappointment. Dare you not be inconvenienced...:D

If you do decide to go 'fart around' for an extended time, by whatever means, you will become a different person. You will have stepped out of the designated line. Some hear warning sirens, while others hear flutes, trumpets, and maybe other unusual sounds, too...

Best of luck to you, regardless.
  7. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:

They did it because he made A __LOT__ of money in the commodities market. Not really "on the cheap"
  8. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a friend who chucked it all instead of going to college and moved to the tropics (pacific), lived on a big island that may or may not have been a US state, and made a living selling various chemical compounds contained in plant matter to tourists.
    He did fine and LOVED life there. Beautiful women, weather, and scenery.

I have another friend who chucked it all and went to live on an island in Indonesia. He wove hemp items for people like bags and such. He worked about 10 hours a week and spent the rest of the time surfing and hiking.
    He makes about 5 bucks a week and has money to spare after eating and such.

Yet another moved to Costa Rica to be a teacher. She loves it and it's very inexpensive to live there.

A guy that's good with his wrenches and knows his way around a two stroker can do very well in getaway locations working on scooters. I'm planning on doing something similar when I take off in the near future.
  9. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pedro Navaja make note to self and write down this saying from Lone Rider to be used in the future to describe females with fortitude. Sounds lots better than "lady you gotz ovum."

:rofl
  10. Disco Dean

Disco Dean Long timer

Oddometer:
    My tenant - biker through and through - figured he could live for about $12,000 a year on the beach - Mexico Pacific side. That too seems to be allowing for a pretty nice place though.

Had a buddy who is an engineer (civil) chucked it all and sailed down to the Caribbean - hopped from island to island for two years before settling down in Virgin Gorda with a local beauty.

His deal was perfect - each day he landed somewhere he went to the local bar or marina bar and met people - he said it took less than a week before he had work. Engineering good paying work - His profession was needed everywhere he went, as they were in short supply - his destinations were resort and/or growth oriented (lots of development going on) and everyone said.... "You an engineer - damn we need an engineer" he would work for cash and stay for about a month - then cruise on.

Sounded pretty darn good to me.

I also have some family friends - older - who have settled in Panama - supposed to be pretty safe and very very affordable - on the Pacific side.

If I didn't have my son I would have been gone long ago.

Do it and tell us all how you did... I might buy the hut beside you in a few years.

D.
  11. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am a mechanical and petroleum engineer. Nice knowing YFFs! Bye! :fyyff
  12. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    Without going banana republic,

Campground hosts get away cheap.

Some places pay a meager wage and alow free camping and all amenities.

Panama has had some job openings working the youth hostels and sail boat tours.

Get a truck driving gig and carry your bike with you. Free room and cheap living if you can eat out of a tin can.

Live out of a van or camper in the Southwest is free on BLM land. Google Quartzite Arizona for third world conditions without the passport.
  13. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell, I'm doin' that right now, although Mexico does sound nice ...
  14. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too am considering something like this. I retire Dec 30th this year. Want to spend a few years visiting family around the country and seeing some national parks and generally exploring the US via bike.

Then perhaps move to someplace where you can live on the cheap. MSN had a "10 top places to retire" article the other day. Ecuador came out #1. On the equator and good riding weather year round. Said a person could live very well for 17k a year.
  15. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    One of the best ways to go cheap is to live full time in an RV. Plenty of nice used ones around. No more property tax. You can change neighbors if they annoy you. You can change states easily if they annoy you! Toy hauler RVs are even better. Take your garage with you and your bikes. The govt. doesn't even know where you are. Relatives don't stay long and kids can't move back in with you...no room and bad guest beds. Perfect.

After California you will think everywhere else(except Florida and AZ) is super cheap any way. I would say to try NM but it is getting too crowded already:D.
  16. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    Fortunately I have a job, but the cost of living in some of these places makes it tempting to consider for retirement down th road a bit. Never really thought I would consider the ex-patriot route, but a whole lotta real $$$ can be saved.
  17. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    I just came back from living in my van for the week. Went to Detah Valley and the Sequoia National Park. I feel like I was just getting dialed in and had to go home. It's the same feeling I've had for many, many trips.

This thread is going along nicely and I can see from others that it can be done. Just put all the "stuff" in storage and go underground for a year or two. It's good to see that people have done it and came back to live normal lives. Although, this sort of thing would permanently change a person. It's also good to see the dollar amounts involved in the various hiatus that people have taken.

Keep the info coming and thanks for the replies/ information.

SS
  18. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Ok, I just sifted thru your smugmug...any new pictures? :ddog

[​IMG]
  19. LostHighway

LostHighway Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure when your friend went to Indonesia, but I've been there recently and I'd say $5 per day would be more like it, for living on the cheap (which is only $1,825 per year), but tat would be REALLY cheap, and way out of any city... in Bali it would be more like $50 per day.

Head to Cuba, oh wait, you're not "free" to do so... ha ha, I jest... I would turn your bike south and go to Argentina. Money goes a long way there, and half the fun would be just getting there.

:D
  20. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:

:deal Seven years now and not planning to change