Changed my first tire- need guidance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DJFlowe, Sep 3, 2013.

1. DJFlowe

DJFlowe Ginger

Oddometer:
    Hi, folks!

Based on all the feedback I've gotten from lurking in this sub-forum, I bit the bullet and bought a tire changer. My dealer quoting me $200+ in labor for tires purchased elsewhere or paying MSRP for them didn't hurt.

I found a used Wikco changer on Craigslist, set it up and used it for the first time this weekend. The removal went smooth as silk. Bead breaker and demount bar both worked perfectly.

The problem came when I tried to mount. Using the mount bar, I could get the tire about 70% mounted when the wheel would start to slip and rotate. I cranked the clamp down as tight as I felt comfortable (pretty dad gum tight) and it still slipped.

Ended up using spoons to finish the mount, which worked OK. I'd just rather not have a large contraption taking up space if I'm going to end up using spoons.

Full disclosure- I used gaffer's tape on the rim clamps. Is that what's causing the slipping? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
  2. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    What tire and size?
    What kind of rim?
    Tube or not?
    Was the tire in the "well" opposite of the final section to go in?
  3. DJFlowe

DJFlowe Ginger

Oddometer:
    Jake- Great questions.

Stock Triumph 17" rim off a Street Triple.

Tubeless, Pilot Road 3.

The tire was in the "well" on the other side- I used a couple of clamps to compress it.

I also was using water/dish soap as a lubricant. I was able to pop the bead on using short spoons without too much trouble.
  4. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Harbor Frieght machine that I use with a Mojo Lever . . . . .and have Mojo blocks on the machine . . .. same wheel slippage . . . .

I run a tie down strap around a spoke (cast wheel) or a number of spokes (wire wheel) and then around a frame member of the machine.

No More Slippage.
  5. DJFlowe

DJFlowe Ginger

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Bomber. Any worries about tweaking a spoke on a cast wheel?
  6. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cast wheel?

None whatsoever (they hold up the bike, after all).

Spoke wheels, that's why I go around several spokes ;-}
  7. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do the same.
  8. DJFlowe

DJFlowe Ginger

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys. I'll try a strap next time and see how it goes.

I appreciate the help!
  9. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Soap and water is better than nothing or dog spit, certainly, but using tire mounting lubricant is much better. Easier mounting and less tendency to rust/corrode your wheels.
    Ruglyde from NAPA, XtraSeal from Advance Auto and others. A gallon is $10, and will last a loooong time.:D
  10. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

some of this/ One of these
    [​IMG]
  11. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to buy a pint or 2 of tire changing lube from a local tire shop. They told me to use cooking oil, as it is about the same thing. Sounded messy, so I went back to a solution of water & Dawn dish soap, which seems to work well. I have also used Windex, which works, but evaporates quickly.

I'd buy tire changing lube like Ruglyde in reasonable qty, but only see shop-size containers (gallon or larger). Does anyone sell a reasonable amount, preferably in a bottle that doubles as a dispenser?

Has anyone tried Armor All? This guy promotes (but you can almost read anything in the internet): http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/Blogs/Richard/An-Easy-Way-To-Ruin-Your-Tires.aspx#axzz2dsbdI7k1

The Wing guy in the above link also writes that (some) dish soap will ruin alloy wheels.
  12. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I have found that using three 3/4" blocks of wood on the underside quite helpful to keep the tire at the center of the rim. Also tire lube is your friend.
  13. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Go to Princess Auto.:wink:
  14. Jayrod1318

Jayrod1318 Poster

Oddometer:
  15. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    C'mon guys ! You're spending good money for tire changing tools, straps, tire irons, etc. Why not spend a little more and buy some real tire lube ?
    Its like spending $100 for a really good toothbrush and then using baking soda instead of toothpaste.
  16. Jamming

Jamming Texas Bound

Oddometer:
    I bought a gallon of RUglyde at Pep Boys 4 years ago. I've used maybe 1/4 of it and I've changed at least 50 tires. I use the RUglyde for dismount and the NoMar paste for remounting.
    The stuff doesn't go bad if you keep it capped so just get some.
    A note to the OP, too bad your not closer, I'd have you come over and show you some tips. It gets easier the more tires you do. I've changed thousands in my life( I've worked in motorcycle shops) and 70% of it is technique and 30% is equipment IMO.
    BTW, I have a Nomar I use and a HF changer and a mojo lever sitting in a corner I don't use. I did use a strap on the HF changer like everyone else.
  17. tvpierce

tvpierce Long timer

Oddometer:
    If my research is correct, the "gly" in Ruglyde stands for Glycol -- as in Ethylene Glycol -- which is antifreeze. So my guess is that Prestone is probably closer than cooking oil.
  18. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is not quite correct, it is only about 2% antifreeze, the stuff is basically vegetable soap....bought a gallon myself and have used it to mount several tires, works better than dishwashing soap and does not dry as quickly, definitely worth the $13 or so a lifetime supply (for me) cost at Napa. You do need to make sure to rinse it off the tire thoroughly after mounting (like any tire mounting lube).....

http://www.agscompany.com/images/stories/MSDS/English/RuGlyde-Tire-Mounting-Lube_English.pdf
  19. Sevv

Sevv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it possible the first bead didn't stay in the drop Center? If it came out of there you would have a bitch of a time getting the tire on.
  20. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:

very true....one option to prevent that is to use cargo straps or zip ties to squeeze the beads together and then mount both at once, requires much less force and is especially good when mounting tires w/ tubes as it would be dang near impossible to pinch a tube that way. I learned that trick here on another thread
    here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

[​IMG]